Friday, June 29, 2007

The final episode in Wednesday in the Midwest - A Trilogy.
When the shopping was done, QuiltGranny Sharon turned the car toward home. But there was a brief stop for cold drinks at Sonic Burger (car hop service is such fun.) We dropped Carolyn at her home to pick up the 'little girl brownies*' we would have for dessert later. Sharon's home is set on acreage property that has been lovingly tended and landscaped. A second trip is needed just to explore her gardens.
Once inside we were met by 2 more Amazing Quilt Babes - the others joined us later - and the delicious smells of the crust-less quiches Sharon's hubby prepared for our dinner while we shopped. After all the introductions, we had the quiche, green salad, fresh fruit and those brownies. Sharon's hubby took care of clean up ( what a great guy) while we were treated to a Quilt Babe show-and-tell in the living room.
Judy and I had been asked to bring a sharp pair of scissors to work on a surprise project that evening. We moved into Sharon's quilt studio for a demonstration of The 6 Minute Circle by Dale Fleming. What a fun technique! Below is the circle I made - who would've thunk it?

Turns out that I have an idea to give these circles a home in a quilt. On my flight, I noticed the farms with square plots of land but crops growing in circles. A funny sight - made me think that they were farming polka dots. I was told that farming in western Kansas requires irrigation for the crops to survive. The most effective means of irrigation is to water the crops in circles. While I don't have a picture of the Polka Dot Farms - I can certainly create a quilt that will be a wonderful memory of what I saw and the new friendships I made in Kansas on a Wednesday in June.
After our good bye's were said with hugs all around and promises to keep in touch. Sharon and her Hubby returned two very tired gals back to the Missouri side of Kansas City. I was so excited to be attending the quilt retreat that I had no idea what wonderful things were in store for me with new quilting friends.
This is a picture of my watermelon quilt. I promised to share it on my blog. It was made VERY early in my quilting career from a pattern by Cheri Payne that was meant to be a wall hanging. It has some questionable fabric choices and very poor machine quilting, but I think it makes a nice welcome on my front porch in the summer.
Last is a picture of a project I started yesterday afternoon. I need a new project like a hole-in-the-head, but here it is anyway. It was a class offered at Primitives that I was unable to fit into my schedule. I was able to pick up the pattern at Quilter's Station - thinking I would just add it to my pattern collection and get to it . . . eventually. Once it was home, it began calling my name. There is no piecing involved - just an applique border. I plan to hand quilt it so I can say it was not touched by machine. I think that has such a nice sound.
Thanks for sticking with me on The Wednesday Trilogy. I promise the next two days, while filled with special classes and teachers, are not nearly as long and involved.

*'little girl brownies' - no nuts

22 comments:

Judy said...

My you got the that pattern quick! I liked it when they showed it. Can't wait to see it all finsihed.

Carol said...

Oh my what fun, fun, fun! I'm going, I'm going, I'm going!

Angie said...

How fun it all sounds!! Green with envy--would have LOVED spending that time with you and Ragdolls and Quiltgranny and the Quilt Babes!! :/ Okay, girlfriend, please share the name of that pattern!! Just gorgeous, as usual!! Another "wanna make one" hits the list. :O

Angie said...

Oh, oh, I meant to tell you too that it was wonderful getting a sneak peek at faces that I feel I've known forever!! :D

Darlene said...

What a delightful day, Libby! Memories for a lifetime.

Your watermelon quilt looks darling by your front door.

I love your new project - can't wait to see more of your progress!

Enjoy.

Angie said...

Dang, I also meant to tell you that your watermelon quilt is adorable there on your rocker by the door!! I can't wait to come play at your house!! :D

Rabbit Stitchings said...

How much fun you had!

The circle block, can you share how you did that sometime on your blog or would that be a infringe on someones pattern, if not I would love to see how that is made in 6 minutes.. Would that be perfect or what with my new bubble rug in my work out room! yes it would! and six minutes to make it... ewww sign me up!

Your new quilt your starting is very pretty!

Patti said...

I've loved every moment of your commentary - I can hardly wait to hear more! And so very glad to see a picture of you on both Sharon's and Judy's blogs! At least Judy told who was who!

Carolyn said...

It sounds as if you all had a great time. The circles look great and I love the new applique project...you work fast! What wonderful memories you've made...

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Wow, 3 days to get througn a day, it was a great retreat! Love what you have done, and that red background can only be described as "simply Libby!"
Cheers, Tracey

May Britt said...

Wonderful event. Now you have the memories and more project to start on LOL

Carole said...

Wow, what a great time you had! Love that applique block. What is the name of the pattern and designer? Thanks for sharing!

Knot Garden said...

It has all been very interesting to read about. Your watermelon quilt is similar to an early one I made but mine was much smaller. Your new project looks lovely as well.

Finn said...

Hi Libby, I think your commentary is just wonderful, you are doing a great job of telling us of the fun, the impressions of the Midwest and all the happenings...keep it up girl!!

Love the new piece and the idea that the machine never touched it...LOL. You watermelons are perfect for that rocker on the porch. Big hugs, Finn

dee said...

I hold you completely responsible for making me have the itch to start hand work again. I've spent too much time on the computer looking for patterns and such. Thanks for sharing yor great trip. I always get something wonderful when I come here. What fun!

Julia said...

What a fantastic, perfect trip you had. Thanks for sharing. I love you new project and your watermelon quilt is absolutely adorable. Do you keep it outside day and night?

Pieces From Me said...

The applique block is beautiful. I like the "no machine touched it" technique! The watermelon quilt looks wonderful on your porch. Your trip sounds like alot of fun. Where can we pick up one of those husbands?? Bren

atet said...

Oh what fun! Your new project is beautiful and those circles! I may have to see if I can get my hands on that book!

Wendy said...

Sounds like fun was had by all. The circle looks so perfect, can you show us??? Watermelon quilt is a nice welcome at the door and the new project is off to a great start. Thanks for share your adventures!

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Sounds like you had a great trip Libby.

Susie said...

I like big girl brownies! But really any type of brownies will work for me :)
Sharon's husband sounds like a real "keeper"
xo

Dawn said...

OK, so what pattern is it! I"m soooo in love!