Friday, June 15, 2007

More fun than a barrel of monkeys. I have never really been convinced that a barrel of monkeys would be a whole lot of fun. I've been to the zoo - I know what monkeys do. Now a basket full of puppies. That would be a whole bunch of fun. I guess it's all relative to your particular way of thinking. Anyway - I digress . . .
The fun I have been having with these triangles seems to be endless. First I made them wrong and worked out a solution so I didn't have to throw them away. Then I went back and did them again - to prove to myself that I could follow the instructions. I was really starting to feel like I could maneuver my ruler around that 60 degree line and didn't want to stop.
So I pulled out a couple of fabrics and tried it again - this time with smaller strips (you can just barely see that version under the cutting mat.) It worked! I reduced the strip size by 1". I thought that maybe the math would get fouled up but it didn't. And the little tops that I got were just so darned cute. What would happen if I made the strips smaller?
I dug through a box of 1 1/2" strips for a selection that I liked, then pulled out some scraps of a neutral and cut 1 1/4" strips and went at it again. It worked! I even figured out the right size for the side setting pieces - it felt like a triumph.
Here's the first little one with borders added.And the layout of the pieces for the pinwheel version.
Off to sew. Wheeeeee . . . . .

22 comments:

Screen Door said...

You are too funny!!! I love these.. coffee table pieces or doll quilts....

Darlene said...

Oh, my goodness those are adorable. I can see why you're having so much fun. :-)

Julia said...

Oh My!!!! How cute!!! Isn't this hobby just the most fun!!!yorg

Pieces From Me said...

I love the minis! Such fun, but looks difficult. That pinwheel is great! It still amazes me how you can make so many different variations from the same pieces.

paula, the quilter said...

Oh! Those are so cute. They look even smaller than a doll quilt. Keep going, maybe you can do one to scale so it would fit a doll house, *s*

Judy said...

Very cool and so fun to make! I'll eventually be forced to make one sometimes!

Carole said...

You made a 12 inch quilt!?! Wow, I'm impressed. They do look life fun! Enjoy!

Dawn said...

Oh so way, way cool! They are beautiful!

Linda said...

Now how cute are they? They look terrific. I don't think I'd have the patience to fiddle with such little pieces, so hats off to you.

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Very nice Libby, you've been busy.

Carol said...

Libby those are just the cutest...I'm on the next plane to CA for a lesson :)...I love them!

Angie said...

These are so cute, Libby, and aren't you the whiz in that math, figuring all of that out!! :D I can barely add 2 and 2...forget that other stuff. If it's not written in front of me (and sometimes even IF IT IS ROFL), I'm lost! Great job, girlfriend...can't wait to see them finished. I love minis, BTW!

dot said...

Very nice. You are so clever.

Knot Garden said...

They are absolutely adorable. It's great when you're carried away with a project and just keep on going:)

Diane said...

Wow, these are great! I just love little quilts. I'll have to go back in your posts to see what pattern or book you are using. I'm not even sure I have a ruler with a 60 degree angle on it.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Hi, the zucorns are cool. I have not seen them before but as you are obviously not dead then they ae good!
Love what you are doing with these little strips, shall have to work it out as looks like something I would like.
Enjoyed your blog keeping...and seeing where you will keep cool. Looks good with a quilt there, I love how you display your quilts on the fence. I always remember which are yours thru' the blogs, Tracey

Guðrún said...

The little one is so cute, but it must be hard work to do it, and the bigger looks complicated to me, I would certainly have to read the instructions.

gwen said...

This is a great pattern and I understand very well why you keep on making new versions of it. One cuter than the other one. Take care.

Cheryl said...

I'm so glad that you didn't give up! The top turned out beautifully!

The Calico Cat said...

Big HEART! I love the bordered one... I still need to try that...

Patti said...

Naryelous! Whoops! That's how "marvelous" is spelled when one has their fingers on the wrong keys LOL!

You are just too clever for your own good!

:-)

Malagueta said...

I love the open star version. It's so striking!