Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Okay - here it is: The first installment of my fantastic trip to Primitives of the Midwest. While I am still no where near caught up with myself, I just couldn't stand to not share all that I saw, did . . . and bought in Missouri and Kansas last week.
After a pretty easy (but late flight) and a short drive in from the airport, I was ready for the fun to begin. On Wednesday evening Quilter's Station hosted an event kick-off at the shop. Judy and I arrived a touch early in order to complete our registration, pick up our 'goody box' and shop. The box held our name tags and lanyard, the book - Cranberry Collection, a journal, pen and chocolates. There was barely enough time to run that out to the car, make a quick perusal of the shop before it was time to take a seat.
Each of the teachers had been asked to bring the first quilt they made and give a little description of their quilting journey. It was very entertaining - to say the least. And so good to know that everyone has struggles with techniques along the way. Then we were treated to a viewing of samples for every class that would held over the four days.** Wow - if only there had been time to be in each class . . . not a clinker in the bunch. Next was trunk show of hooked rugs by two ladies - Marilyn and Minerva (last names I can't recall) Such beautiful work - the detail in each piece was mind boggling yet they all had a wonderful primitive, folk-art flair.
This is a picture of some of the things from the goody box and parts of the purchases I made during my stay - a couple of patterns, two make-it and take-it kits made especially for the retreat. I picked up a book on Missouri Civil War stories as a souvenir for Hubby and an ABC book specific to the area (we collect these as we travel,) a jar filled with buttons, a painted metal box and a couple of new dish towels. There there was the wool. Wool, wool, wool - in such beautiful colors, in such large sizes. I think I picked up at least a small piece everywhere I stopped. I'll share my fabric purchases in another post.
Finally - Thursday morning arrived - the first day of classes. Iwas signed up for a class with Cherie Ralston. The project is a sewing kit. Now I have to admit here that while I had seen a photo of the project, photos can be deceiving. I had in my mind a little wool needle case - and I was very happy with that. This is a real sewing kit! With three inserts to hold all sorts of quilting necessaries. Once it is done, I will be able to travel far and wide with what I can hold inside this piece.
Cherie is a delightful teacher. She put up with me and my limited wool knowledge - did you know that wool can be torn? After a quick demo to get me up to speed, she quickly saw I was anxious to try it out myself. The piece went together very easily. In just a 3 hour class I had the construction complete and all the applique pieces ready to stitch down. A great way to feel successful right out of the chute.
Here is my piece - almost complete. I have only the berries to applique in place. The beading embellishments are my first try at that also. I never fancied myself as one who would embellish anything (I'm A Simple Girl - remember) but that was fun.
On the inside I'm adding my initials and the year. Guess what? I cut the letters and numbers free-hand. I'm may be getting quite full of myself, but the retreat was so inspiring that I really feel like I have to try to stretch myself just a little.
Okay - this takes us only until noon of the first day. Stay tuned - there's so much more fun to tell about.

**I'm afraid that I won't be sharing photos from the evening because I don't want to infringe on the work of these outstanding designers.

22 comments:

Linda said...

Ohhh lovely purchases and what a neat sewing kit. Congrats on your sucess. Now do tell where do you buy those zippered inserts that you have in the sewing kit?

Katie said...

FELLER06What a wonderful sunflower to welcome you home and so glad you had a great time. Like you sewing kit.

Katie said...

Sorry about that extra on my comments. Gremlins, I guess.

Carol said...

What fun, what fun, what fun! Can't wait for the second installment.

Susie said...

Such fun to hear about your adventures and see what you bought as well as created.
xo

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Great purchases and your sewing case is so cute and functional!

Now what I need to know is, you have a lovely quilt on your table I see, do you actually eat on that?

Guðrún said...

Your sewing case is great, it is not at all simple ;)

Connie said...

It's all so fun to read about and the pix are great. Waiting for part 2!

Rose Marie said...

It's a sweet kit and I never knew about tearing wool and I've been sewing since I was a teen! The things we learn. Waiting for Pt. 2

Finn said...

Hi Libby, welcome home! No wondering about if you had a good time..*VBS* I'm soooo very happy it was all you expected and more. Very satifying! Your sewing kit is just adorable, and I'm thrilled that you cut your letter and initials freehand! Big step in a new direction...good for you.
Love the sunflower, and lots of goodies to enjoy all this year. Bet Harper was glad to see you too! Big hugs, Finn

Wendy said...

The trip sounds wonderful so far, can't wait to hear more about the projects you were working on. The sewing case looks very functional and the wool is gorgeous.

Pieces From Me said...

Oh Libby, what a wonderful morning you described. The sewing kit is wonderful!! I'd like the book you bought your hubby!! Can't wait to hear more.

atet said...

That sewing kit is wonderful -- what a great project and so useful! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your adventures!

May Britt said...

I understand you had a wonderful time. Love to hear about your trip. The sewing kit is adorable. Did you sew the plastic pocets also??? Please hurry up with more from your trip.
You gave me an idea for our next annual quilt meeting. We have our 20 years anniversary next year and perhaps I should suggest that the teachers brings their first quilt and tell us about it. Great idea.

Darlene said...

Oh, fun, fun, fun! I can't wait to hear more.

anne bebbington said...

You sound so inspired Libby - obviously a wonderful trip

Carole said...

Wow Libby, I'm anxious to read about the rest of your retreat! Gosh, sounds all so wonderful. Your sewing kit is lovely. Thanks for sharing!

Angie said...

What wonderful purchases, Libby! And I love your sewing kit! Aren't wools just wonderful to play with? Can't wait to see/hear more!! :D

Knot Garden said...

Oh! I love the design of the sewing case, and how wonderful to be taught by Cherie Ralston. Wool is so nice to work with.

Judy said...

Excellent finish to the Wool Kit...can't wait to start mine! You filled yours up fast with all the appropriate goodies!

Juliann in WA said...

Oh it sounds like it was wonderful. I love the little needle case. Thanks for reporting back. I am putting this on my someday list. What fabulous teachers.

Linda_J said...

Your report makes me feel like I was right along with you, Libby. Color me pea green that you had such a good quilty trip.