Thursday, June 28, 2007

Ready for the second installment of day 1? Here we go . . . . we purposely chose to take a class that was only half-day to give us some time to explore and possibly shop hop a little. That turned out to be the perfect decision. Judy knows QuiltGrannySharon through the Quilt Maverick Ring and she graciously offered to be our personal tour guides for the day. It couldn't have been better. It was really a treat.
When class ended at noon, we hurried back to our hotel where we were met by Sharon and her friend Carolyn - both members of the Amazing Quilt Babes. They whisked us off for lunch at Jason's Deli where the choices were abundant and everything tasted great. Refueled we were ready to get down to business - shopping!
We crossed the state line into Kansas - a first for me. Our first stop was in Eudora, Kansas to shop at Quilting Bits and Pieces. Eudora was a darling little town. The streets lined with homes displaying flags from wide porches, lots of tall shady trees, a policeman carefully watching for speeders and Jasmin - a Chinese Mexican eatery. Now that is a combo that I would have never dreamed. Wouldn't you love to get a peek at that menu?
Quilting Bits and Pieces was a bright shop with a large selection of 30's prints, lots of florals, books and patterns galore. The ladies working the shop were right in the middle of moving fabrics. They were so friendly and helpful - directing us to where we might find a particular piece. I quickly found the clearance fabrics and finished the bolt on both of these red brushed cottons. After we all made our purchases, it was back in the car to head on down the road a little more.
Next stop was Lawrence, Kansas. A bustling college town with a real, good old-fashioned downtown - the kind where you can park on the street, pop into a store, or just stroll along to window shop. Some of the buildings were just so beautiful to look at. They were built of sandstone that is quarried locally. I hope to return for the chance to explore a bit more, but there was fabric to buy.
Into Sarah's Fabrics we went. Before I could even get all the way in the door, I was taken in by the wood floors and had to wonder about all the shoes and boots that have trod them before me. A quick look up, I saw the tall ceilings covered in painted tin. Oh my - but then the fabric pulled me in and I had to shop. Specifically I was looking for a large, florally print to use in a Serendipity quilt. Here is what I found along with some pieces to go along with it.
While I was chatting with the gal cutting my fabric, I looked up to see Barbara Brackman walking toward me! She had come to the shop to pick up a quilt that was hanging on display. She stood next to me and we struck up a conversation. She asked about the fabrics I was purchasing and my plans for them. Proof that all quilters are very tactile, she was stroking the red fabric just to get the feel. It was such a surreal moment for me. It's not every day you get to discuss your fabric selections with Barbara Brackman!
Across the street in Stitch on Needleworks, I made a quick purchase of some wools and a sunflower Christmas ornament - how can you not get a sunflower in Kansas? While the others finished their shopping, I took a rest on the steps and just tried to take it all in.
Wow - this day really was full. There was even more fun and activity at Sharon's home that evening. Join me next time when I get to become an Honorary Quilt Babe - oh so fun!

27 comments:

Judy said...

I knew you'd remember all the correct names....once I smell fabric my eyes go all wonky and I get tunnel vision! I was intoxicated in a good way!

Julia said...

WOW!! What a trip, I am sooooo jealous. I am glad that you had such a good time though. Kansas is one state that I would love to visit. It sounds just delightful!!! Love your fabric purchases and can't wait to see what you make.

Darlene said...

Another fun installment! Your fabrics for your Serendipity quilt are just stunning. Can't wait to see you start that one!

Screen Door said...

I love your fabrics, sounds like you had a great trip!

Linda said...

It was like we were there with you, shopping and chatting. I have to show my ignorance though as I have no idea who Barbara Brackamn is.....Love your fabrics and look forward to seeing the quilt.

Judy said...

You know what just dawned on me? We flew into KANSAS! So you never had to drive to kansas...we drove from the airport into Missouri. D'oh!

Diana said...

I can't believe you ran into Barbara Brackman! Sounds like you had a great time--can't wait for the next installment.

Angie said...

It sounds heavenly! I'm so glad you got to experience this, Libby!! And Barbara Brackman to boot!! :) Can't wait to hear/see more! Lovely fabrics too!

Carol said...

Oh my gosh...I'm drooling...what an awesome day!

Pieces From Me said...

I can not tell you what you wrote in your post...my mind went and my eyes blurred when I read you stood talking to BARBARA BRACKMAN!!! That would be like meeting a major movie star! Did you get tounge tied? Did you start to sweat? Oh my gosh...I am tounge tied and sweating just thinking about it!!! She is almost always on my current reading list, as she is now.

Fiona said...

How lovely to get that unexpected 'extra' meeting during your trip, it just gets better.

paula, the quilter said...

I can only repeat the "Wow!" that everybody else said. And the Chinese/Mexican made me do a double take as in: did I read that correctly?

Guðrún said...

I am looking forward to the next part of your trip, it must have been a great time you had.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Your doing such a good job describing your trip, it almost feels like I was there! :O)...

I had to smile when I saw your red fabrics, I remembered you saying we could never have to many reds! :O), and that you are always looking for reds...

Finn said...

Hi Libby, I sitting here just a smilin' away, thinking how much the Californie girl enjoyed our Midwest...*VBS* Yes, it's a different place and time in many ways.
Your purchases looks wonderful, reasonable, specific and carefully chosen. I like that. Leaves something to buy next time..*VBS*
And apparently the Universe approved also, and you were favored by the gift of Barbara. These things happen for a reason..*VBS* I'm just delignted you got to have the whole experience. Sending big hugs, Finn

Sharon said...

Actually, Judy and Libby you landed at the airport in KCMO (KCI) and stayed on the MO side of the metro area until I took you across the State Line!

And what Libby didn't tell you is that there is a laundromat next to the Chinese-Mexican restaurant. It makes me giggle!

Nancy in MT said...

Libby, I have yards of that red fabric with the stripe also. Great read.

Owens Family Adventures said...

I'm sorry but a day that has both fabric purchases and Jason's Deli is my idea of Heaven on earth!!! Lucky lucky you!!!
dawn

Connie said...

What an exciting day for you. The quilt shop sounds so interesting.

Katie said...

Thank you sooo much for taking me along. Lots of big smiles here while reading and reading again your post. My DGG goes to KU in Lawrance but I have never been there. Maybe I need to visit, huh? Looking forward to more on your trip.

Karen said...

I'd like to see the quilt shops in Kansas and the main streets. Imagine just running into Barbara Brackman, that is incredible!

Wendy said...

Thanks so much for the tour. Your fabric purchases are great and what a treat to meet a famous quilter.

Marcie said...

Look how many quilters are enjoying your retreat AND Barbara Brackman, the unexpected treat! Of course we are all impressed with her, but SHE would be impressed with YOU if she got a look at your creations! Go Libby!

Dawn said...

Oh baby! I am so jealous! What fun and purchases you got! I can't wait to see what you do with the Serendipity! I"m hoping to get back to mine soon! And that top red/orange fabric - I have that! i love the bottom one too!

Doreen said...

wow libby...sounds like a wonderful trip...how exciting :) Thanks so much for visiting my blog ...may I put you on my link list?

Have a wonderful day
hugs
doreen

Carole said...

Love your purchases! And you met Barbara Brackman on top of it all! The day couldn't have been more perfect! Thanks for sharing!

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Fancy talking to Barbara Brackman??!!