Friday, June 01, 2007

This is a day for celebration in our home. Today Hubby is 'officially' retired from the USMC!
His active service ended in 1999, but his 30-year Marine Corps career is complete today.
He joined just after his 17th birthday in 1977. His parents had to sign the paperwork with him because he was a minor. His mom made him promise to never get a tattoo before she would sign - it's a promise he has kept.
The summer between his junior and senior year of high school was spent at boot camp . . . can you imagine the 'What I Did On Summer Vacation' paper he wrote? After basic training, he was assigned to the reserve unit near his hometown and completed his senior year of high school.
When I came on the scene and we married, he returned to active service. It was an adventure for everyone. I thought I was far away from home - but he was even farther. He spent 12 of the first 18 months in Okinawa - gone six, home six, gone six more. I love this picture - he used the band-aids from his first aid kit to display the latest photos of The Princess. They still have a little of the sticky residue on them.

We quickly learned to pack up and move on a moment's notice. We could unpack our whole house, hang pictures, install light fixtures, roll our our rugs and have a new place feeling like home in just a day. We moved 11 times in the first 15 years. During those years we all grew up. In this picture, The Princess is only one year younger than her dad was when he joined.

It wasn't always easy. Hubby says he remembers his first night at boot camp, laying in bed thinking to himself, 'What have I gotten myself into?' I don't know that he has ever fully answered that question, but he has seen places he would never have seen, had jobs that not every man would be willing to do, served his country with honor and made his family proud.

27 comments:

QuiltingFitzy said...

Libby, what a wonderful post. Had a big lump in my throat the entire time.

My dd #3 is a Army Reservist with ONE year under her belt at the age of 20. Hopefully time will fly, and she won't. Unrealistic I suppose, but I will never give up hope.

Thank your dh for his time and service from all of us in blogland.

Carol said...

Oh Libby what a wonderful day...I'm boohooing...your description of military life brought back tons of memories. My dad was in the Air Force until I was a Freshman is high school. Mom always had the pictures and curtains hung by the end of the first day...so we never felt like we were living out of boxes. It sure was a good life, lots of wonderful memories.

Carole said...

Oh Libby, time to celebrate a new beginning! What a joyful post to read! Thank you to Hubby for being there for his country! Keep well!

meggie said...

Lovely post Libby!

dot said...

Thank your dear husband for me. What a selfless life he and your family have lived for the rest of us in the USA. I thank all of you for your sacrifices you have made for us. Enjoy the retirement.

Lisa D. said...

Huge congrats to your hubby. That is an incredible achievement.

Chris said...

Congratulations to you both! My husband was in the Air Force for a number of years and has been in the Air National Guard since. He retires this coming March after 33 years! I hated the moving-just as you hung the last picture or put up the last curtain it was time to pack again.

Darlene said...

Incredible accomplishment! Congratulations to him! There's just nothing like military life. :-) Sometimes I really miss it.

Diana said...

What an achievement! He has done something to be truly proud of.

Nancy in MT said...

Congrats to your hubby and a pic of you too!

kjquilts said...

Libby, I know how proud you are! Besides, aren't military men the best ever? LOL! Congratulations to your family!

It's a hard life but we all come out better for it. Your retirement pay will take care of you for the rest of your lives. I know, my husband was in the Air Force, so was my daughter and son-in-law. Plus, my son just finished his four in the Marines earlier this year.

Semper fi! Ooh Rah!

Jane Ann said...

Congratulations to both of you!

Jenny said...

Congratulations Mr Libby! What's the first thing he wants to do?

atet said...

Congrats to your dh -- your life together really has been an "adventure"! Thank him for his years of dedicated service.

Katie said...

My huge thanks to hubby for his service to our country. And to you and Princes. Your post showed how families also serve.

dee said...

What a proud moment for your family. congratulations to your husband and thank him for his distinguished service. You have a lot to be proud of.

Judy said...

Congrats to you both! I grew up in a military family, but nothing like being the wife and certainly not like present day. To be totally finished with the commitment is super!

Tracey said...

wow!! whatta guy! please give him a *big THANK YOU* from me. it's something that i don't think i could ever do but know that it is so necessary for our country to remain free.

Cynthia said...

i enjoyed reading your post. Congratulations to your Husband

Dawn said...

Oh Libby, you got me tearing up! Congrats to you all - but especially him! Jenna's bfriend is training right at this moment with the Marines on a submarine in an undisclosed location! I just could never do it.

Nadine said...

Congratulations to your hubby ! A well deserved retirement !
Enjoy !

Hugs & smiles,
NADINE

Screen Door said...

Congratulations- What an accomplishment. My Dad was never in the service, But I grew up in a town that had an airforce base. We had lots of friends that had that life. Your post brings back memories.

Norma said...

What a wonderful tribute to your husband! Enjoy the well-earned celebration!

Pat *Enjoying life in Florida" said...

Semper Fi!
Congratulations to your family. How honorable of him to keep his "no tatoo" promise to his mother.

Sweet P said...

Pass my thank you and congratulations to your DH. Without him and the service men and women like him our country wouldn't be what it is today.

Susie said...

Congratulations to your husband and many thanks for his thirty years service to our country!
:)

mommy to four j's said...

What a beautiufl post. Char