Friday, July 06, 2007

Now that the holiday is past and Hubby's vacation is winding down to the last days, it's time to start thinking about what I'm going to keep myself busy with next week when it's back to business as usual.
First a timely little package showed up in my mailbox this week. Dot had a fun little contest on her blog recently. With a very lucky guess on my part, I became the winner and received these two wonderful and timely Americana fabrics. I know I have left a lot of comments in the last few days regarding my love of Americana projects. So everyone knows that these two charmers will be part of a quilt before we know it. Thanks Dot for a fun game and a terrific prize.I have been working happily away on the Kentucky Wildflower applique. The border treatment is nearly complete. Before I layer it for quilting I'll be sure to post a new photo. Once it is to the hand-quilting stage, I will get back to the applique on Shirley, Goodness and Mercy as well as setting up the next Sue Spargo block.
As if that isn't enough irons in the fire, I started playing with a couple of fun things yesterday. One of the things I missed out on at Primitives of the Midwest was a sale they had at the shop early Saturday morning before classes of little hand-made items and antique pieces. I saw some of the things others picked up and got a little inspiration of my own. One darling little prim item had a bundle of fabric wrapped hangers together with a tea stained tag. The hangers looked to be made of either dowels or maybe the cardboard tubes from dry cleaner slacks hangers.
I cleared out the supply of hangers from Hubby's side of the closet, removed the cardboard tubes, got Hubby to saw them in half. Then I changed my mind. I noticed that the tubes would fit into a spare canister jar and maybe they would look like old-fashioned stick candy. I wrapped a tube and sure enough, I achieved the desired result. I can made two 'candy sticks' from one hanger. I'll just add to my collection every week until my jar is full. Finally a fun candy with all the calories removed.

That little stroke of genius presented me with a new problem. I had already been to Michael's and purchased raffia wrapped floral stems to use as the hanger in my now abandoned project. Wait . . . in the most recent edition of Create and Decorate there is a pattern for sunflowers made of wool. So now I am embarking on a sunflower making journey. Here are my pieces all cut out and ready to stitch.
A little bouquet of these in a glass milk bottle on the kitchen counter is just what I need.

19 comments:

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

I want that same milk bottle arrangement. Great Blog!

meggie said...

You have been busy! And having fun.

sharon said...

What a cute idea. Can't wait to see it all done. You are going to share a photo right??

Linda said...

You have been busy, what a clever idea. Look forward to seeing your sunflowers finished.

dot said...

You are a busy clever girl. I like the candy idea. Love the sunflower, be sure to show the bouquet when done.

Pieces From Me said...

Gosh it gets kinda dangerous around there when you start thinking of ways to keep busy! Love the candy and Sunflower idaes. Where did you get a glass milk jug?

Patti said...

Your new header is marvelous! Makes me want to play around with my template. I guess I could try it on my 2006 blog first, just in case I screwed up badly.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

The candy jar with your faux candy canes is to cute! Clever Clever....

Screen Door said...

Lucky girl---I love the sunflower.,..

Susie said...

I love the Americana fabric and the sunflower too. You're always so clever and creative!
xo

atet said...

What fun projects -- and how busy you have been!

Darlene said...

Love the candy idea! Sweet!

Wow, you've been a busy girl. Enjoy!

KCQuilter said...

What a wonderful post, Libby! Loved reading your creative thought processes! And now I WANT some of those candy sticks!!! I may have to make a trip to Quilters Station and see if they have any hanging around LOL! Thanks for the inspiration.

kjquilts said...

Libby, your candy sticks look yummy and bring back memories of the ones my grandmother always had for us when we visited. I can't wait to see your sunflowers!

Julia said...

How CUTE!!!I can't wait to see your sunflowers. I love sunflowers. Where did you get your old glass milk jugs?

Guðrún said...

You are so creative.

Angie said...

Cute, cute ideas, Libby! Don't you just love the Create & Decorate Magazine?? :D I love your fabrics that you won too. :)

Judy said...

Very very cute! I remember the little spools and the other thing too. I like the candy stick idea thought better too! The sunflowers will look very neat in a milk glass jar! Good ideas!

Wendy said...

You are very creative with your ideas... low calorie candy, what fun is that. Love the sunflower, I'll have to check out the magazine.