Thursday, July 12, 2007

Patience is a virtue . After a miserable tomato crop last year - 3 cherry tomatoes from 8 plants of different varieties. It certainly wasn't worth the effort at all. Undaunted, but somewhat less ambitious, this year I put in 6 plants all of the same variety. Since before Easter they have been tended to, they have grown and grown, the number of blossoms more than I can begin to count. Finally in early May, I started seeing some fruit. Over the weekend, I spied a little something pink from my kitchen window. Today - the first selection of what is sure to be a bumper crop. Don't they look delicious?These first tomatoes will be eaten practically out of hand and few will be sliced on a plate to accompany meals. Yes, I love to have a sliced tomato and cottage cheese - even for breakfast. But soon enough, I'll have to start finding more creative ways to serve them. One of my favorite recipes is for Tomato Basil Pie. Amy - The Calico Cat has patiently been waiting for this recipe to make an appearance. I wish I could credit the source, but it is a recipe that I found on the internet a few years back from a casual search. Whomever is belongs to deserves kudos for a delicious recipe. You will need:
1 - 9" pie crust
1 1/2 c shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
4 or 5 medium tomatoes
1 c loosely packed fresh basil leaves
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 c mayonnaise
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp ground white pepper

-Preheat oven to 450 degrees f. Place pie crust in pie pan, flute edges and prick crust bottom 20 times. Bake for 9-11 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce oven temp. to 375 degrees f.
-Sprinkle warm pie crust with 1/2 c shredded Mozzarella cheese.
- Cut tomatoes into wedges, drain on paper towels. Arrange wedges on top of melted cheese in the baked pie shell.
-In a food processor, combine basil and garlic; process until coarsely chopped. Sprinkle over tomatoes.
-In a medium mixing bowl, combine remaining Mozzarella cheese,, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese and pepper. Spoon cheese mixture over tomatoes; spread evenly to cover.
-Bake at 375 degrees f. for 35-40 minutes or until top is golden and bubbly.
-Serve warm. Garnish with basil leaves if desired. Serves 4 - 6.

We love to have this pie as an entree for dinner with a simple green salad. With leftovers, we reheat and serve with eggs for breakfast. If you have a brunch - it would make a perfect dish as a bridge from the breakfast to lunch items.
Not much on the quilting front - I'm too busy thinking up practical ways to use my tomotoes.

23 comments:

Linda said...

What lovely looking tomatoes, my small crop is supplying all I can eat by mysself. Not so with the cucumbers, I have more than 2 families could eat. If I were back home I'd be making tomato relish, so scrumptious, especially with cold meats.

KCQuilter said...

Oh, Libby, that Tomato Basil Pie sounds divine!!! I love tomato and mozzarella together. My fingers are crossed that we will have tomatoes this year. Groundhogs usually beat us to them.

Pieces From Me said...

That recipe looks great. I have 100's of tomatoes. My neighbors will be well stocked!

Darlene said...

Double Yum! Those tomatoes truly do look yummy. Oh, I love to eat a tomato like an apple but with a little salt. I like to mix them in a bowl with cucumbers, too. Oh my you won't have to worry about how to use your bumper crop cuz I'm coming to get them. LOL

The Tomato Basil Pie does sound delish.

Della said...

Think I might try the Tomato, Basil Pie today. Sounds yummy. I don't have a garden this year (still recovering from two knee replacements) but am sure my girls will share their bounty. Plus the neighbors will also. When granddaughter and I pick cherry or grape tomatoes, we pick one, eat two, pick one, eat two. I miss my garden. Enjoy your tomatoes Libby and have a great day.

Carol said...

YUMMY! I'm on my way.

Screen Door said...

They make a great photo if nothing else. Sounds like a good recipe. Granted it will be the end of August before tomatoes are ripe in the UP.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

oh my what a great recipe, I know that is good, printing it off!

joyce said...

The tomatoes look wonderful. Ours are tiny green things yet. I love fresh tomatoes on toast but I may have to give that pie a try.

Guðrún said...

Lucky you to be able to grow your own tomatoes, there is no way I could do that without a greenhouse.

Fiona said...

The tomatoes look good - and home grown always taste 100 times better than shop bought.

Susie said...

Our tomatoes are really producing too! That pie sound yummy!
:)

Jeanne said...

We're going to have A LOT this year, too -- both big ones and small cherry size. I'm picking them already -- trying to beat the birds :)

I'll be making your pie in the next day or so!

Jeanne

Connie said...

The recipe reminds me of one called Shaker Tomato Pie that one of my favorite quilt shop owner's spouse serves in the tearoom above the quilt shop. It's delicious! And your cherry tomatoes look like perfection.

Finn said...

Your tomatoes look to be well worth waiting an extra year for!! I think you'll both get a lot of enjoyment in picking and eating them. I can just see you out there in the morning, popping a fresh tomato in your mouth..*VBS*

The pie sounds yummy..might have to give that a try, altho I'm not a huge fan of basil. Hugs, Finn

dot said...

The tomatoes look delicious. The pie sounds great. I might have to try the recipe myself.

The Calico Cat said...

Thanks for sharing. It sounds great. (I have a beef stuffed tomato recipe - you need at least a dozen "nice" size tomatoes...)

Carole said...

Oh, thank you for the recipe. I sent your blog link to dh since he's the cook in the house. What we do with our tomatoes is dehydrate them to make "sun dried tomatoes". We bought a good quality dehydrater a few years ago and it's truly been worth it. The tomatoes turn out sweet and make a lovely addition to a dish. Thanks for sharing!

Judy said...

I remember something once from the Bisquick people called Easy Tomato Pie...but it sounded nothing like yours. Sounds interesting! Now a tomato sandwich and me could be happy for days on end. Love those!

Glad the plants took this year and decided to produce!

Jeanne said...

I love the first tomatoes of the season! Enjoy.

Kim said...

Ok I read and just "had to try" OH my goodness it was wonderful hot and just as good cold for lunch today....thankyou, thank you, thank you for a great recipe.

Kairle said...

I'm eagerly waiting for my tomatoes to ripen. So far I just have squash, which we are devouring.

I saw a similar recipe demo-ed on TV back in May. Now I've definitely got to try it.

woof nanny said...

Found you thru the Calico Cat. I can't wait to try this!