Saturday, July 07, 2007

Today I have something old, something new and something not yet done. When the days get warm here, I like to open all the windows and doors to catch any breeze that might come our way and help cool us down. Late yesterday afternoon things got moving quite a bit and it caused a quilt to fall from the sky.
Well, not exactly from the sky. We have vaulted ceilings and this quilt is up a the 14' mark. I have wanted to share it for some time, but the photography angle is odd at best. So since it was down, I took the opportunity to wash it and get a good picture before Hubby gets out the ladder and places it back in its spot.
It's called Prairie Garden and was printed in a magazine (McCall's - I think) There was a flag at the bottom that I left off so it would nicely fit where it hangs. I didn't have much applique experience at the time. I traced onto freezer paper, ironed to the wrong side of the fabric which I then doubled (right sides together) and stitched all the way around. Then I cut a slit to turn it right side out. That means that the flowers have 8 layers of fabric at the center not counting in the background and backing of the quilt. I don't applique this way regularly anymore, but from time to time it's fun to do. When stitched down with a whip stitch, it makes a nice, primitive look.The something new is my completed sunflower. Talk about a quick and easy project. I do think I may go back and add some french knots to the center to add a little dimension. For those curious about where I get the milk bottles - we have a store that sells organic milk in glass bottles. There is a small deposit when you buy the milk that is refunded or applied to the next purchase. I usually have a pint and a quart bottle on the counter just because I like them and they make wonderful vases for live or fabric flowers.
The something not yet done is the top of Kentucky Wildflower. All the applique is complete now and I started hand quilting this afternoon. Have I mentioned how much I love hand quilting? I just love to see those stitches - they make the top just come to life. I plan to outline the applique and then diagonal lines across the open spaces. I really want to cross-hatch, but I'm not sure that I won't run out of steam before that's accomplished. Time will tell . . .

25 comments:

Finn said...

Hi Libby, what fun you are having! Love the stick candy idea, how clever! And no calories!
The wildflower is looking great and I have a suggestion for your handquilting. I was thrilled to hear that you love it, warms my old heart *VBS*
With cross hatching(which looks sooo great). Decide how far apart you would put the lines "ideally". Then double it. If you were going to go 1", do them 2" apart, you'll probably have enough steam to get both directions done that way. AND...if you want, you can go back later and put another line in at 1". I've done that several times with good success.
The other thing that happens with one direction quilting is that often the piece will warp in that direction. And the closer it is quilted, the more it warps or 'morphs'. Once it's done, it's hard to get the warp out, if at all. So I vote for both directions even if they are further apart.

The fallen quilt is just great! I would love to see a quilt falling from the sky...LOL Hugs, Finn

Pieces From Me said...

Your milk jug looks more old fashioned than mine. Mine are more rectangle than round. It would still work though. I too love hand quilting. Nothing compares to the feeling. Your quilts are beautiful!

Jenny said...

the Kentucky Wildflower quilt is stunning. Lots of open space to quilt:) I also like the fabric flowers. With my new love for small projects, they are something I've been thinking about. With 2 cats fresh flowers don't work.

Linda said...

Libby, your praire garden quilt is wonderful, is it hand quilted? I zoomed in and was astonished at the amount of quilting on it. I've never seen a milk bottle/jug that shape before. While I remember, I love your new banner, very nice.

Fiona said...

So much creativity ... love the Kentucky Wildflower and look forward to seeing how you quilt it.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

I love the sunflower, please tell me how you did it? Your work is beautiful.

kjquilts said...

Your sunflower is so cute! Both of the quilts are very nice. I enjoy hand quilting too.

Dawn said...

Oh Libby they are all wonderful - and now I remember what I was going to do today - rats - I was going to call about that pattern.

How about some small black (non-shiny) seed beads in the center of the sunflower? I did that on my pincushion instead of french knots and loved them!

Darlene said...

Everything is wonderful, Libby! The quilt that fell from the sky is terrific. :-) Love that sunflower (I agree with Dawn - try beads or small black buttons)
The applique project will be wonderful handquilted.

atet said...

All of them are wonderful -- love that sunflower idea!

Karen said...

Libby, they're all just so pretty. What a cute picture of your sunflower. Are the sugar and creamer anything special? Can't wait to see some of the quilting in the in-process piece.

KCQuilter said...

Ohmigosh, all the projects are wonderful! Your blog is so inspirational to me. I want to do everything I see on it!!!

Carol said...

Libby everything is wodnerful...your quilt that fell from the sky is out of this world.

Screen Door said...

Wonderful pieces... I can tell your trip really inspired you. I love the prairie flower quilt. It looks antique-- great job. The sunflower makes me smile....

Jan said...

I LOVE your Kentucky wildflower top!!

Guðrún said...

Your Kentucky wildflower is becoming a beauty, can´t wait to see it when you have quilted it.

Susie said...

Your organic milk bottles make the perfect vase and I love how the sunflower turned out. The birds are feasting on our live ones!!
xo

Judy said...

The qwuilt is wonderful...I don't think I've seen much blue in your quilts since. I like it alot!

The flower turn out great as did the Wildflower pattern. Loved it the minute I saw the class sample. You did a good job! That type of needle turn is the way that Cheri Saffiote Payne does all hers I think.

Nancy in MT said...

I actually remember that pattern being in a magazine or kit, and saved it, one my first saved prim patterns, (of course, don't know where it is now) and the flower is too cute and I'm in love with the Kentucky Wildflower, love the border.

meggie said...

Lovely lovely lovely!!!
I particularly like the last one.

Connie said...

Such pretty projects!

teodo said...

ciao
this post is wonderful and last quilt is BELLISSIMO.
ciao ciao

Shelina said...

You've got all sorts of goodies to show us today. Very nice. I'm glad you had a quilt fall from the sky!

Knot Garden said...

I remember that prairie garden pattern from the magazine, I think it might have been a milennium pattern of some kind. I like the primitive sunflower, and your Kentucky Wildflower applique is beautiful. Hand quilting will look lovely on it.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Really enjoyed your fallen quilt, I don't applique much but that is a way I enjoy as well.
The sunflower looks v.cute! and your latest project stuns as usual, I always love your quilts on those walls! Tracey