Sunday, July 22, 2007

Watching The Food Network can sometimes be dangerous. Hubby and I watched an episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown the other night. You could practically see the light bulbs go on over both of our heads . . . 'Well, now wouldn't that be fun.' So off to the store we went to fill our basket with all of this.And began measuring, grinding, pouring and mixing. What did we make?
Mustard! Our very own, home-made, delicious, spicy mustard. Granted it is probably the most expensive condiment ever to come into our kitchen. Even though we had some of the spices in our cupboard already, their age was questionable and we wanted all of our ingredients to be the freshest possible. Then there was the quick trip this morning to buy an immersion blender. (I have been wanting one for quite some time - today was as good a day as any.) We agree that we would definitely make more in the future. Hubby has already perused Melinda Lee's website for recipe variations.
Now that we have a jar full of mustard, the next question would be: What to use it on? Soft pretzels are an excellent vehicle for eating mustard. I have made these several times before with great success. Our twisting skill leaves a lot to be desired, but the taste is there every time.
Here they are before the second rising and poaching.
Fresh from the oven. This may have been the best lunch we've had all month.
Not much to share in the way of quilting. Hand quilting is slow going and you can only take so many updates. A couple of other projects are swirling around and will be ready to be revealed soon. Thanks to everyone who sent me their Desert Island 5 List. It's so difficult to narrow down to just 5. I saw lots of choices that I already love and some new groups to go check out.

19 comments:

Judy said...

Poaching huh? Like plopping them in hot boiling water?...I always wondered the trick. You want to share the recipe, please??

The mustard looks good but I'll stick to the jar stuff. I'm not a fan of the hot so it would have been wasted on me. Looks good though, and sounds like you had fun!

Carol said...

Sounds yummy and sure sounds like you had a great time together. Will you save me a pretzel and a bit of mustard? :)

Linda said...

Ok I have to ask, what is an immersion blender? I've never heard of it before, but that's understandable I suppose.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

ahhh and the pretzel and mustard recipe? LOL .... you cannot temp us with all those yummy pictures and then leave us hanging! lol

I am wondering what Linda is, what is a immerison blender?

dot said...

This looks wonderful. I bet you had a great time.

Screen Door said...

Cooking together is the best. *s*... Jar mustard is sooooo easy....Can you taste a big difference?

Linda_J said...

What fun, Libby! Got me drooling at the screen about the pretzels. I like honey mustard best I think but DJ told me NOT to put any of it on his sandwich again, please and thank you. More for me!

Elaine Adair said...

I am slobbering with drool, looking at those soft pretzels!

joyce said...

I was totally not hungry util I read your post and then I had to go and look for a snack containing mustard. It looks delicious.

floribunda said...

I know exactly what you're talking about... DH and I watched Alton Brown do ribs the other night, and tonight we had wonderful, slow-cooked, baby-backs! It's nice that Fodd networks website posts all the recipes...

Shelina said...

Sometimes it is easy to forget that the things that can be bought in the store are things we can make at home.Your mustard looks delicious.

Laura said...

We were watching Food Network a week ago and they had a special on barbque ribs. So we jumped in the car and went to this great rib place. It certainly can be abusive to the pocketbook!

gwen said...

As I am french, the first idea I have using mustard is vinaigrette (salad dressing with vinegar and mustard) but i bet you will find many ways to accomodate your delicious looking mustard. Take care.

Diane said...

I watched that episode of Good Eats but not being a mustard fan, I was not tempted. Now if it had been chocolate... Your pretzels have me drooling.

Littlepenpen said...

Your mustard and pretzels look yummy. I have only known one person ever to actually make their own mustard. She would never share the recipe, as she had hoped to "market" it one day!

Hedgehog said...

I'd love to see the recipes, too! I haven't made hot pretzels in so long - look delicious!

atet said...

OOooh...those hot pretzles and mustard look way too good. I'm an Alton Brown fan as well. I highly recommend his basic waffle recipe. We eat it on average twice a month around here for dinner!

Susie said...

Mmmm looks yummy! I've made hot sweet mustard before, and we loved it. Care to share your recipes :)

Dawn said...

Oh those pretzels look wonderful! Mmmmm!