Sunday, August 26, 2007

Home again, home again . . . we are getting settled in after a whirlwind of a full weekend. Hubby and I went back to the area of the state we grew up to attend his high school reunion. Because he was able to take Friday off from work we got to spend a little time looking around the towns of the central coast of California that we love so much. We stayed in San Luis Obispo, a town set in the foothills of the Santa Lucia mountains home to one of the 22 missions and Cal Poly State University.
This is a view of one of the main streets in downtown. We enjoy walking along, doing a little window shopping or actually stepping inside a store or two for a closer look.

We stayed in a historic bed and breakfast. Such a lovely building and filled with antiques.It's nearly impossible to resist a stop and look-see at Gum Alley . . . and yes, I have a piece of gum up there - circa 1978. It's on the wall on the right and very near a particularly artistic interpretation of Mr. Bill.
I have always just loved this old theater - inside and out. From the pink paint to every little art-deco detail. Hubby and I used to go to Friday night midnight movies here back when we were dating (and were young enough to stay awake that late and still thrive.)Just look at the box office and that floor!Another thing I love about this town is the creek. It runs right through town and is an integral part of daily life. There is dining with a view.
A path to walk along the creekside.And my favorite - an outdoor patio where most any weekend you will find live entertainment.This building is a Carnegie Library building. No longer a lending library, like the other two that I grew up near it is now a museum filled with items of local history.Hubby and I were up VERY early on Saturday morning enjoying all these wonderful places that hold such dear memories for us. I needed a boost . . . yes, my drink had 4 shots. There was still a long day ahead of us.
This is a view of some of the Santa Lucia mountain range. I find this a beautiful view any time of year . . . but there is a special magic when spring arrives, such a vivid green.
We also spent time in Paso Robles. This is the small town where my grandma lived when I was growing up. Still small by the standard of many, it has changed and grown over the years. This is the Carnegie Library building located in the park in the center of town. I've spend many happy hours in this park at the library and on the playground, too . This picture was taken on Friday afternoon.And this picture was taken Saturday morning. There is a Farmer's Market held at the park each Saturday morning. But this weekend we were in for a treat - it was the Olive Festival. We made our way through all of these booths, tasting various olives, tapenades and olive oils. Yummy!
There was plenty of time for a visit with Hubby's folks in the town where he grew up. After a little rest back at the B&B, we got ready for the reunion. It was fun watching Hubby connect with friends he had not seen since the last reunion and some not since high school. A very friendly and happy group of folk.
As we got ready to call it a night, we took one last drive past that old theater to have a look at the neon sign.
And yes, we have the radio tuned to the same station we listened to back when we were dating.
I'm glad that some things never change.

19 comments:

Darlene said...

Thanks for taking us along on your trip down memory lane! Wonderful memories!

Nancy in MT said...

Great post, getting to go back along your life's path with your life partner. Not too many can say that.

Jeanne said...

How neat to go back to your reunion and relive those memories and familiar places. I love gum alley - had never heard of that one.

Fiona said...

Lovely post - it's so interesting to see different parts of the world.

joyce said...

We drove by there when we went to California last year. If we had known what a beautiful place it is we would have stopped to visit. I never heard of gum alley but it would definitely be worth seeing!

Quilting Pirate said...

what a lovely picture weekend!! Thanks for sharing! My favorite is Gum Alley!

Bren said...

What wonderful memories. Some of those buildings are just beautiful. I love the theatre.

dee said...

thanks for the great tour. Glad you had a wonderful time. My husband was there on business years ago-he says it really is lovely. It's on my list!

Judy said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend!

Dawn said...

Oh what fun! But I'm not sure I would enjoy the walk down gum alley, for some reason that is giving me the heebie jeebies....!!!

Guðrún said...

Thanks for sharing, I really loved traveling with you. But Gum Alley, hummmmmm I don´t know about that.

Julia said...

What a wonderful romantic weekend. Thanks for sharing this special time with us!!!

Wendy said...

Thanks for the lovely tour down memory lane, that town looks like a wonderful place to grow up. It looks like a place I would like to live now, I love those type of quaint towns. Not too sure about the gum alley...gives me the shivers.

Finn said...

Hi Libby, what a delightful journey down memory lane...and how wonderful you two are together to take it..*VBS* So much changes, and so very rapidly these days. It's refreshing to find some things remain the same.
All the pictures are delightful, I especially like the ones of the theater and it's 'neon' after dark sign..LOL
I have a reunion coming up next year...#50...believe it or not.
Thanks for the pics of the library..you prompt me to go and take a picture of mine one of these days. Hugs, Finn

Jane Ann said...

Thanks for the tour of SLO. My DD visited there several times with a law school friend who is a SLO native, and she fell in love with it, as everyone seems to.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

What a wonderful, nostalgic weekend... so good for the soul! (And an olive festival to boot!) Life IS Good!!

atet said...

What a wonderful weekend and such great memories! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

CONNIE W said...

A wonderful post! Love all these photos.

Deb Geyer said...

Thanks for sharing your trip! I enjoyed it.