Thursday, August 23, 2007

I have been having a tough time this year with the flowers in my garden. Where last year they flourished - this year they wither and die. No amount of remedial attention seems to help and now I throw in the towel of surrender and I'll try again next year.
In the meantime, my green-thumb has been hard at work inside. I have a hydroponic garden (of sorts) flourishing in my kitchen window. While I was busy tending to the needs of the dying in my flower beds, I forgot to plant any basil in the little red wagon on the patio. Oops. When the tomatoes began to ripen, I had an urgent need for basil - fresh and ready to use. I quickly went to Trader Joe's and picked up a nice, big bunch.
It was big - too big for two people to consume easily before it spoiled in the fridge. Then I remembered . . . I could put the cut stems in a glass of water in order to keep the leaves supple and fresh. I replenish the water every couple of days or so and look what has happened. I have a thriving crop of basil right on the kitchen counter. You can see there is quite a healthy root system - I may just have to plant this out in the wagon after all.Today I went to the San Diego Quilt Show. It is a 3 day show that is held at the Convention Center right at the edge of the Gas Lamp Quarter, across from our new Petco Park and very near the water. A lovely setting any way you look at it. This was the first quilt show I ever attended - 6 or 7 years ago. I was practically beside myself with anticipation. The quilts - the vendors - such an inspirational paradise for a gal just starting her quilting journey.
It seems that the show has gotten smaller over the years, there's less anticipation and not nearly as much inspiration. I've become a better shopper and don't feel that I need to buy something from every booth just because it's there. Still I didn't want to miss out. You never know what might be there.
I was in and out in just about an hour. I arrived shortly after the doors opened. There were far less quilts this year than ever, but I knew if I went to the farthest side of the hall, I could make my way through without having to jockey for space or position should I wish to take a photo or just linger a little. I do have a few pics on my phone that I will upload and share in a future post.
Once I entered the vendor area, the crowds had grown a bit larger - but still manageable. I skipped over a lot of booths - things that are not my style and the shops where I do most of my business anyway. Instead I looked at many antique quilts for sale, but beyond my price range for inspiration, lingered where there were many books, picked up a few notions, some wool for making a punched rug, a nice bundle of older brushed cottons, and a silly little sock coin purse to use on an upcoming vacation.
Was it the best quilt show I ever attended? No. Will I go back again next year? I'm sure I will.

25 comments:

joyce said...

Great idea with the basil. I'm going to try that. I planted some but it didn't germinate. I hate paying a lot and it spoils in the fridge. I wonder if the same thing would work for cilantro. I have the same problem with it and also none in the garden. I couldn't find seeds for some reason.
We were in San Diego last year but missed the quilt show.

Cheryl said...

I love how your basil grows! :)

Darlene said...

Wow, your basil is awesome. You must plant that in your red wagon to enjoy for a long time.

Sometimes I think that quilt shows need to be every other year to help with the anticipation and for new goodies to be available. :-)

Dawn said...

You have me drooling - fresh tomatoes and basil... mmmm - the things I could do with that! I may have to make homemade pizza this week. Nothing like homemade pizza sauce and homemade pizza!

paula, the quilter said...

What a lovely bunch of basil. I can just smell it now! We have an annual quilt show coming up next month. I know what you mean about the anticipation when you first start out. I used to save all year and then spend it at the show. The last couple of years have been mainly for the quilts and I've barely spent money on things other than the raffle tickets.

Bren said...

My basil came up in the house, but as soon as I planted it in the garden it was gone. Yours looks wonderful..the root system is too good not to plant.
Your purchases are great..I love the book!

ROZ said...

Dear Libby, Thanks for your kind comment on my blog. And thanks for going to the quilt show--so I don't have to. I love San Diego. We used to go there once in a while for vacation. See the Art Museums. You are having luck with the basil. It would be tasty in some soup, I bet.

Fiona said...

Great idea with the basil - you must have a nice sunny windowsill!

katelnorth said...

Nice basil - I have a basil plant on my windowsill, but it's not hydroponic... Your local quilt show sounds a bit like the one which is near to me - it used to be quite decent sized, but in recent years, there are fewer and fewer quilts, it seems. But I still go, because it's right down the road, and will probably continue to do so.

Knot Garden said...

I know what you mean about skipping the booths that aren't your style and gravitating toward the more interesting ones - that's a technique that I've perfected at quilt shows. I didn't know you could root basil in water, I must try that!

Screen Door said...

OK - something to think on--- Do you think looking on line being such great inspiration that your view of the quilt show changed? Or maybe it's like Disneyworld the first time... I've experienced that at quilt shows at home too.

Doreen said...

Hello Libby. Your basil look great.

I just LOVE all your purchases from the Quilt show...especially the yarn!!! Those colors are great.

:)
doreen

Angie said...

I've had a terrible time with outdoor plants this year...too much heat...too little water (even tho I faithfully water), they just need that rain that we haven't had. The basil in a glass looks as lovely as it will smell and taste--I have some that did come up this year, so I'll cut some and stick it in a glass of water. It's getting really scraggly now, so thanks for reminding me that I can cut it and bring it in. :>
I do enjoy quilt shows, even small ones, but I only make it to one a year, so I'm always excited about going. :D Wool, patterns, a book, a bundle of Fall fq...yum! :D

Rabbit Stitchings said...

I had no idea Basil would root in water!

Nice goodies you got at the Quilt Show :O)...

Carole said...

Nice Basil! When I attend a quilt show, I like to visit the vendors first. Like you, I no longer feel the need to buy something. What I do is look for something I cannot find at my LQS. Funny because blog land offers that for me. I like learning about new patterns and what not. Once I have satisfied my curiosity, I take my time looking at the quilt show. Our guild has a show every other year. This year being one of them. Thanks for sharing.

Teresa said...

Enjoy your purchases!
I bouht that book a while ago, and love it - I've already made 2 quilts from it ( sadly given away as gifts, but I can always make more for me! )

Guðrún said...

Are there miniature quilts in this book or in full size, I have been wondering about this book, looking at it on the internet?

Finn said...

I've been thinking about that Prairie Children book for a while now...let me know what you think of it..*VBS* Great solution to the fresh basil problem.
Neat little 'Dawn' inspired quilt too. I like your colors. Hugs, Finn

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

You did pretty well considering you were only there an hour Libby. The doll quilt book looks good. I have tomatoes growing and some basil that came up from last year, but I haven't had much of a crop yet. Plenty of cos lettuce, rocket and coriander though.

Judy said...

Looks fabulous and you got your hera marker like you wanted!!! I've gotten more discriminating too these days at shows.

Katie said...

So interesting to see your basal growing in water. I have a big flower pot outdoors with nothing but basal. I set my pots in tubs on my deck. It rained so much this week and I didn't get the tubs emptied until I saw my basal looking so droopy - from the water sogged soil. I look forward to going to any quilt show, even those blog friends show.

atet said...

Oh that basil looks fantastic! Add some fresh tomatoes and a bit of fresh mozerella, a splash of good olive oil and some salt to taste and you'd have me in what I consider heaven!

Great goodies at the show too, even if it wasn't as exciting as in the past -- I think it's still fun to go to those events, and it looks like you do too!

Shelina said...

Your basil looks wonderful. I am going to have to try something like that. I hadn't thought of putting it in water before - thanks for the tip! I'm going to have to try it with cilantro, like Joyce.
I've gotten that book from the library. It is a great book.

Jane Ann said...

Your reaction to the SD quilt show is much the same as mine about the Nashville show last week. I gave it three days anyway, like a miner searching for hidden nuggets. Obviously I did quite well in the shopping part, but not so much in the inspiration part. But there's always next year, isn't there? And we'll both be right there, won't we?

Lucy said...

The book is awesome. I have it too! Do you have the first book from her? It is beautifull too.