Sunday, August 19, 2007

I most surely am feeling the effects of the dogs days of summer this year. This week has most certainly been the most lackluster week that I can recall in sometime. I haven't been able to focus on anything. It's hot! I'm hot! I want to stick my head in the freezer. I shouldn't want to rush time, but I do wish fall would get here . . . fast!
I was pondering all of this a couple of days ago. Feeling too sluggish to even read blogs and make comments, I sat down in front of the computer to play a mindless game while having a fan blow directly on me. All of a sudden Harper gave a little growl and bark toward the front door. I turned around just in time to see the mailman dropping a box on the porch. I'm not expecting anything. I do have a couple of things ordered, but none expected to arrived for a few more days. It's not any one's birthday, our anniversary, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Christmas . . . the mailman must have been mistaken. We have a neighbor with a similar last name and sometimes our mail gets crossed. I picked up the box - wait, I recognize that return address! That is my name on the label! A package from my friend Melanie at Covered Porches and Wooden Screen Doors - a little treat because she is sweet and just in time to save me from melting into a pool of heated boredom.
Here is a peek at what she sent. Americana napkins with flag napkin rings. Very fancy. I've never had napkin rings in my life. Mel knows I have some nice red spatterware dishes that will look great when set on the table with her treat. Maybe I feel a picnic coming on.Since it has been so warm, I just can't bear the thought of cooking or eating a hot meal. The best solution would be to eat out, preferably somewhere air conditioned. But that's a luxury that's not going to happen anytime soon. For lunch today, I tried to recreate an antipasto platter we've had at our favorite local Italian restaurant. Doesn't it look yummy? There's roasted red peppers, marinated artichoke hearts, cantaloupe wrapped in prosciutto, mozzarella, kalamata olives, sliced tomato with olive oil and basil, and a bit of toasted baguette on the side.
And where there's cheese - there's Harper. Not much gets passed her, but when there is cheese she goes on high alert. With a face like that - who wouldn't want to share?

16 comments:

joyce said...

That meal looks so yummy. It has cooled off so much here that we would need a jacket outside. I love this weather the best. Mosquitoes are gone and the trees are about to turn.

CONNIE W said...

Looks irresistable, my kind of food. Like you, our days have been well, hot, and fall is looking better all the time.

Sweet P said...

Your antipasto looks yummy. I haven't had an antipasto plate in a long time. I think I will have to make one soon. The Americana napkins are cute.

Bren said...

An unexpected love mail WOULD make a blah day turn around! The meal looks delicious! I too am anxious for fall.

meggie said...

Harper is so cute! OUr dogs love cheese too. I would like that lovely food too!

Carole said...

Oh.... what a beautiful gift from Melanie. She is so sweet! I enjoy Fun mail! Hang in there, fall is coming soon. Cool day her in Upstate NY. Keep kool!

Wendy said...

Unexpected "fun mail" is the best kind, it's brights any day, even the hottest days. Keep cool.

Patti said...

Just looking at your feast makes me drool all over the keyboard. We never have anything like this! Tonight was Papa Murphy's pizza - not diet but easy - but then our weather is much cooler than yours.

Fiona said...

Mmmm ... I could definitely go for that kind of meal. If it's any consolation, apart from the week before last it seems to have done nothing but rain in the UK for weeks - I haven't even had any hay fever, the weather has been that bad.

Knot Garden said...

There's nothing like fun mail to perk you up:) The food looks so tasty I'm not surprised Harper is interested.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Now I'm starving... my, that platter looks delicious! Try and stay cool, I'm attempting to do the same...

Angie said...

Oh Libby, I'm feeling EXACTLY like you---too hot for ANYTHING!! I'm not normally one to complain nor rush time either BUT I told Randy yesterday this heat is just wearing me out! No place I want to be, nothing I have the energy to do, no one I want to talk to, don't even want to blog---wait---The one place I would love to be is in a walk-in fridge!! ROFL

Judy said...

Never tried antipasto before, but it looks yummy! Noodle loves cheese too, but his tummy doesn't so we have to shoo him away, poor baby.

Nice treat from mel...aren't they the funnest!!

Dawn said...

MMM, you always have such good looking food on your blog! I'm coming to live with you!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

yummers, great looking meal! I am with you, not really wanting to rush time, but whew bring on the cooler temps!

What a nice gift to get in the mail, I love cloth napkins...I mean how can one not like having fabric on the table :O)...

atet said...

Oh -- that meal looks delish! Yummmm!