Monday, August 20, 2007

It seems that lately there have been several posts sharing bags - new patterns, new designs and many already completed bags. Bags really are great. You can tote your stuff from one place to another. You can fill up a bag and simply use it as a convenient storage receptacle. In an effort to be kinder to the environment, I now have reusable bags in my vehicle to carry groceries. It's fun to have a special bag to take along to guild meetings, classes, or retreats. You know the kind . . . the really cute ones that make the other ladies swoon.
Making bags is really not my forte. Oh, I have made a couple in my day. I wanted a 'make the ladies swoon' version for my first quilt retreat a few years back. It wasn't easy. There was lots of stitching and re-stitching. But I completed it, I was proud, but I have officially ended my bag making career.
The bag I want to share is THE BAG. It really is a prize possession. I've had this bag for over 30 years now and it has been in use for almost that entire time . . . as my purse. It is an old friend - we've seen a lot together- me and my backpack.
At the time I bought it, it seemed like an outrageous purchase. $50! Earning only $1.25 per hour at an after school job, not only did it take my whole paycheck but it required an advance on a future check. While it seemed foolhardy at the time, I think even my dad would have to agree this is the best investment I ever made. I've replaced the leather lace used to draw it closed many times. There has been one repair to a strap. It has picked up a very nice patina over time.
In an effort to look business-like, I've had hand bags, but they are just not me. I would switch back to the backpack for the weekends and sometimes not bother to re-switch to a purse come Monday morning. For me - this has been the ultimate bag. It's a perfect fit and I'm sure I will use it all of my life.

14 comments:

Darlene said...

It definitely was a great investment! I love the patina of the leather. This is a 'friend' that goes everywhere so you're never alone.

Fiona said...

They say a good leather bag will last a lifetime and that certainly seems the case with this one. I love different bags, but like you, I tend to just stick with one, come what may - I can never be bothered to take all my 'stuff' out of one and into another.

joyce said...

There is nothing nicer than well-used leather. It was definitely a great investment. Itwould cost a lot more than $50 now.

Dawn said...

I"m so excited to finally see "the bag"! I've heard you talk about it, but never seen it before now!

Peggy said...

I love it! I had a friend in high school (foreign exchange student) who had a leather backpack (which I secretly wished for)...back then we didn't even USE backpacks and she was soooooo cool. I'm wondering if she still has hers...what a nice memory you brought forth!

Diane said...

Your new header photo is fabulous! When I was a teenager, I bought a wonderful leather satchel from Crate and Barrel. The handles were restitched a couple of times during its use and eventually, the closure fell off and got lost. I used it through college, grad school and several years of teaching. I LOVED that bag!

paula, the quilter said...

Now *that* is a bag. I love leather. I never had the $$$ to buy a bag like this. But I did buy a pair of sandals, in, let's see it must have been around 1971: after high school, but before marriage. The guy had me stand on a piece of paper and he drew around each foot. I need to get them retreaded. Yes, they had old tires for soles. Thanks for the memory.

Screen Door said...

Even when it comes to purses.. you stay true to yourself-- bucking fads, trends and the like...That's why you are always do much fun to read about.

Carol said...

I love it! What a fabulous bag!

CONNIE W said...

Leather is definitely one of my bags of choice and I love that patina they acquire over time. When the weight of the bag with my added stuff that's inside got uncomfortable to carry around I started using cloth purses most of the time but they will never replace my preference for the leather ones. And I still keep them on a shelf in my closet and use them part of the time.

Angie said...

Wow, Libby, what a true treasure!!! I'm just pea-green with envy. :> I carry a fanny pack (over the shoulder) but you can just bet that if I had something like that it would be THE BAG for me too! :D If you had only known at the time you bought it what an investment it would become and how well-loved and -used...It's wonderful! And I love the quilt behind it. ;P

Susie said...

Great bag! I've never found just the perfect one for me. Such fun looking and trying them though!!
xo

Judy said...

I have a newer leather bag that's great for travel as it's huge...but they do last forever!! Looks fabulous!

It bodes well for ME that you think copying is flattery...since I just got my bag pattern from Bareroots for your lovely needlepoint stitchery bag I couldn't keep my eyes off at Primitives!! You'll see it sooner than later!!*G*

Sweet P said...

Your bag is awesome! I would say you made one wise investment.