Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I have been thinking since my last post about why I favor the fall season above the others. In most of the places I have lived in my life there isn't a real change of weather like some of my mid-western and northern friends. But I always enjoyed back-to-school time. When I was growing up we lived 'out in the country'. School was not only a place for learning but socialization for me and I eagerly anticipated seeing friends I had not seen since the previous June.
Coming from a small town, youth and high school sports rated high as a public form of entertainment. Everyone in town could be found at the big game on Friday night or at the youth fields on Saturday morning. That kind of civic camaraderie seemed most evident during football season when the evening air might have a little nip to it and the smell of freshly popped corn and hot chocolate wafted through the crowds from the concession stand.
So fall to me is not only a season of change but a time for coming together - with friends, with community, also with my partner, best friend and husband. Fall is the season in which Hubby and I married.
Last month - when we returned to the area where we grew up for Hubby's high school reunion, we took the opportunity to go back to see some of the places significant when we got married. We met working at a local McDonalds - McDonalds is my kind of place! I forgot to take a picture, but you've all seen one. Picture us in our polyester uniforms - his brown and mine electric green. YIKES!
This is the old courthouse where we went to apply for our marriage license. Remember we were still teenagers. I wonder what the clerk thought when she had to coach us through every step of filling out the paperwork. Good thing it wasn't a test . . . we might not have passed.This is the church we got married in. Built in 1901 and added on to several times over the years, I have always thought it is a beautiful building. The combination of red siding and stone work on the exterior just lends a certain feel that I can't seem to put into words.
The windows you see in both photos are stained glass. So pretty to see the sun shining through them during a Sunday service. Sometimes it seems like just yesterday we were all gathered out on the sidewalk after our wedding, getting everyone coordinated to go back to Mom's house for a little reception. The minister came a little later than the others - he stayed in his office to catch the last of the baseball playoff game on the radio.
But it wasn't just yesterday. In just a couple of weeks, we will celebrate our 28th anniversary. Man does time fly when you are having fun! I made this quilt 3 years ago to commemorate our 25th anniversary. Each of the blocks has 25 pieces - the red center and 24 (1"cut) logs. There are 11 rows of 11 blocks. 11:11 on a digital clock is a number we have always pointed out to one another - our favorite number. That makes the pattern a little off - but so are we. It's large enough to fit our queen sized bed, but because Harper gets on the bed from time to time we don't use it. It stays folded across the back of the sofa where we can see it every day.
I used a wool batt and hand quilted with perle cotton - an X in each center and all around each log. This is a closer look at one of the blocks. You will notice that some of the logs are pieced. That was to signify that some years of our marriage have been more difficult than others - military deployments, being poorer than church mice, deaths of grandparents and parents- still we have managed to keep it together. It's a great marriage. Hubby is my best friend. With the ups and downs, I wouldn't have wanted to spend my life any other way with any other person. We are blessed - a happy life, a beautiful daughter, a gorgeous home filled with laughter and love.
I'm taking a little blogging break. Hubby and I are off to celebrate our anniversary. I'll be back soon with lots of fun things to share.

39 comments:

Judy said...

Have a great trip! Take lots of pictures!

Nadine said...

Happy anniversary to you and your beloved husband, Libby ! And many, many more ...

Hugs & smiles,
NADINE

dot said...

Have a great anniversary. I love the signifigance of the quilt. Just like every good marrigae, good times, bad times, but all times by each others side. Through thick and thin. Enjoy your time away.

Colleen Whalen Eskridge said...

Loved the significance of your quilt...the numbers...in blocks. Loved the stories...and congrats on a long marriage. My husband often responds to people who ask how long we have been married....33 years.....25 of them happy!!!! The Dear!!! Thanks for sharing. Colleen South Africa

Patti said...

I've not looked through the PFAQ photo folder for some time - now I finally get to see the quilt that everyone is talking about. I can sure see why - what a masterpiece Libby! It is absolutely perfect in every way, with so much meaning in each design decision and each stitch. What a treasure for you to have.

Here's wishing you a wonderful anniversary and more great times with your hubby as you celebrate.

Jeanne said...

Have a wonderful time together! Wishing you both a Happy Anniversary.

Carol said...

Have a wonderful, wonderful anniversary. Libby that quilt is just a masterpiece. So much thought...Spectacular. Isn't it wonderful to be married to your very best friend :)

Carolyn said...

Happy Anniversary...enjoy your celebration!

Sweet P said...

Happy anniversary and thanks for sharing some of your memories of your wedding day with us.

Carole said...

Happy anniversary! Thank you for a trip through memory lane. Love your quilt! So well planned and detailed with event of you life. Thank you so much for sharing!

Susie said...

Best wishes for a wonderful anniversary celebration. I love how you pieced the logs to remember that there were tough times, but you both hung in there.
Happy Anniversary!

Marcie said...

Your church is wonderful! I love the stone foundation. Of course I adore your quilt. I love that you, like your quilt, are a little off!

Lindah said...

Happy Anniversary! I love your post. A lovely tribute to 28 wonderful years. The quilt is so special, too. May you have many, many more happy years together.

Darlene said...

Happy Anniversary - 28 years is incredible! I'm married to my best friend, too. I truly believe you have to be best friends before you can be lovers!

The quilt is beautiful with so much meaning.

May Britt said...

Happy anniversary. Enjoy your time tggether. Your log cabin quilt is amazing, and even more amazing when you tell the meaning of the quilt.

Stephanie said...

Happy anniversary to you both! Fall is a wonderful time to get married--DH and I will celebrate our anniversary next week! Nothing like snuggling when the mornings are a little crisp.

Anne Ida said...

What a wonderful post! Thank you for iving us this glimpse of your life!

Happy anniversary to you and your husband! Wish you all the best in the years to come! And hope you have a great celebration trip!

Hugs

yellowfarmhouse said...

Libby - what a sweet and wonderful post and I love the church you were married in. Your quilt for the celebration of your 25th is beautiful and the way you described it's meaning touched my heart. Have a wonderful celebration of your anniversary with your soulmate.

Hugs - Karen

Linda said...

What a wonderful way to journal your marriage, in your quilt. Hope you and your hubby have a wonderful time away and we look forward to all the terrific photo's on your return.

Knot Garden said...

Happy anniversary, hope you have a lovely time!

Bren said...

Happy, Happy Anniversary!! 28 years is a long time! Me too. All of us can see the deep love and admiration you hold for your hysband. It is an inspiration to me!

Dawn said...

Once again I love your log cabin! Have a wonderful wonderful trip! I can't wait to find out where you two are going!

Guðrún said...

Thanks for sharing,I love the quilt and the meaning of it, I do hope you will have a great time.

Kairle said...

What beautiful memories! You really put a lot of symbolism into your quilt. Thanks for sharing!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Happy Anniversary,,,

I Love hearing people say how much they love their spouse! and how they are best friends, I can say the same for my Dh and myself :O)... we like you guys have done it all in 20 something years, (except no kids here) but Richer and Poorer, sickness and health etc...and LOL I had the Lime Green polyester McDonalds uniform too, rofl rofl, my dh didn't ever work there tee hee...

Its a wonderful feeling to be with the same person so many years :O)! I wish you guys the rest of your lives as happy and in love as you are now! and my guess is you will be that and even more! :O)...

meggie said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! What a lovely post, & I love the quilt you made with it's little pieced logs for special events.
Enjoy your celebrations!

Lucy said...

have a great anniversary!

ROZ said...

Happy Anniversary! And many more! We have been married for 47 years, unfortuately my husband is in failing health. But 11:11 was always a favorite time of his. Don't know why. One lesson I have learned is that time is shorter than we think--make the most of every happy hour. I love that wonderful quilt.

Wendy said...

What a wonderful story behind your anniversary quilt. Congrats for all the years together and many more.
I married my best friend too.

Last year I made a quilt for my daughter turning 25 years old and I made her quilt with 25 blocks of frayed roses to remember that special day. She loves it.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Many sincere wishes for a happy anniversary and and a continued lifetime of joy-filled days! Great post, great quilt made even better by the symbolism! Since you don't use the quilt I'm happy to know it lives on the back of the sofa and not hanging in front of he garage everyday! ;)

Katie said...

Congrats on the anniversary. What a wonderful quilt, especially with all it means. Enjoy your get-a-way.

joyce said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. Beautiful quilt. I hope you enjoy your trip.

CONNIE W said...

I enjoyed reading your post. Congrats on the 28 year milestone. Best wishes to you both.

katelnorth said...

Snap - I used to work at McDonald's in the days of polyester uniforms (The uniforms are so much better these days!) You're a little older than me, but I bet the uniforms were still pretty similar - mine was a very attractive (not) brown. Hasn't put me off brown, though.

And I love autumn, too, not sure why, just love those crisps days with blue sky, etc.

Anyway, happy anniversary - I'm coming up to 15 myself, and was NOT a teenager when I got married :)

Jaimie said...

Happy Anniversary! Have a great time on your trip! Oh, and I love that quilt!

McIrish Annie said...

congrats on your anniversary~your anniversary quilt is beautiful! hope you have a great trip.

Finn said...

Hi Libby, as usual, here I am, wandering in late...LOL. It's sept. 15th now, and I hope that you are having a wonderful,sentimental journey in celebration of your wonderful wedded life. I think it's marvelous that you've weathered 28 years together, and hope they only get better and better as you age.
Life is beautiful, especially in autumn..*VBS* Love seeing the photos of the court house and church. Yours are in color, mine so old they are in black and white. No colored wedding pictures.
Love the old cabin quilt and the symbolism in it. I'm very fond of symbolism, altho I've not used much in my quilts...strange.
Can't wait to hear about your trip...see you soon! Hugs, Finn

Laura said...

Happy Anniversary!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Love that you made yourselves a quilt to commemorte your anniversary...obviously still felt it was worthy of note lol!!
Happy anniversary and have a lovely break, Tracey