Saturday, September 01, 2007

Isn't this a happy little basket? Well, if you knew what was inside all those little packages you might be more inclined to agree. I carried this basket into my local post office late yesterday afternoon. Now each of my Pay It Forward pieces and my 4 Seasons Quilt Swap piece are making their way to their new homes . . . and there's a care package for The Princess in there, too.That was a lot of fun, but it was a little difficult not being able to share what I have been working on for the last month or so. In addition I participated in a fall swap with a primitives group on Yahoo. This is the table topper that I received in that swap. I couldn't be more thrilled.
It may be difficult to tell from the photo, but each of the backgrounds that the pineapples are on is a different wool. The appliques are needle turned and there is embroidery embellishment on and around the pineapples. The quilting in the border is a loopy star motif. I plan to study how this was done so I can make loopy stars someday too.
The fall colors combined with the pineapples message of Welcome and Hospitality make it perfect to sit on the cedar chest by the front door. Everyone who comes in will be greeted by this wonderful piece. Thank you again, Nancy.
When I made my primitive swap piece, I made a twin that could live here with me. Because I enjoy acorns I couldn't resist making two. Now that it has reached its new home I can share this little wall hanging. The background is all pieced with cottons. The acorn tops are appliqued using cotton and the rest of the applique is in wool. I found the pattern by Cheri Payne just as fall was ending last year. I'm so glad I did.
I did get started on the first quilt from Prairie Children an Their Quilts - Friendship Stars. The first block had one piece spinning the wrong way. Oops.
Oh and a little bit of television trivia from The Princess - Do you remember the house that The Walton's lived in? If you are also a fan of Gilmore Girls, look closely at The Dragonfly Inn - the inn that Lorelai and Suki opened about mid-way through the series - the exterior is none other than The Walton's place.

17 comments:

swish24 said...

Libby, Your gifts will surely delight! I've admired your wire basket in other posts. Is it an old basket or still available for purchase online somewhere?

Bren said...

Your wallhanging is wonderful!! I love the table mat you received. I am a big fan of pineapples and the whole hospitality theme.
I am thinking about doing the Prairie Children quilts too...hmmm do I have the time??? I think the desire will overtake the lack of time!

Cheryl said...

I love that acorn wall hanging - I am so excited to being to start thinking FALL!! Your swap runner you received is a good one also. I agree with your comment on my blog about Morro Bay - what an amazing place. I'm so happy to have found your blog!

Patti said...

Aha! No wonder that house looked so familiar! I never would have connected the two.

Are the acorns in one of Cheri's books? I have several of them - I'll have to check. I love her stuff but have yet to make any of it. One of these days LOL!

Jane Weston said...

What lovely quilts! The pineapples are beautiful and the maker certainly put in a lot of detail. Love the acorns you made too..very country!

gwen said...

I love how your 4 seasons quilt turned out. And I think the pineapple quilt is great. To use wool as a background seems to be a very good idea. I bet the person who will receive the acorn quilt will very glad she took part in the swap! Take care.

Angie said...

Ooooh, yummy, Libby!! I'm in a serious state of coveting BOTH of those little quilts---they are both just adorable---could you duplicate them both, stuff them in a basket like that one, and ask me for my snail mail addy? ROFL I would be delighted to give it to you!! ;p I do love combining cotton/wool...as a matter of fact, my basket in the last picture post is wool, the rest of the quilt will be cotton (I think :D).

Juliann in WA said...

That does look like a happy basket. Don't you just love sending goodies to friends and family?

Guðrún said...

These quilts are adorable so primitive, it is new to me to see that sort of quilts.

Screen Door said...

OK-- It makes me believe that there is no such thing as concidences....I knew there was a reason I was tied to the place...how cool. I love the quilt pieces in this entry--- they look just like you....

Carol said...

What a very happy basket and everyone that gets one of those happy packagegs will be just thrilled. Love the acorns!

Dawn said...

I love your pineapples you got. I love that border fabric Nancy used! And your acorn wall hanging is awesome!

And how about that - I have to tell Holly that about the dragon fly in!

Yvonne said...

I love both the pineapples and the acorns....awesome little quilts.

Joanne said...

OOOOOHH I love both these pieces. Great fall stuff.

Wendy said...

Oh my gosh....I love the pineapples and the acorns pieces. I really enjoy working with wool and fabric together. You received some very lovely keepsakes.

Carole said...

That is a sweet tablerunner, so inviting. What pattern is that? You acorn quilt is wonderful, so cute! Thanks for sharing!

Judy said...

Everything looks just fabulous!