Monday, September 10, 2007

Just like grown-ups - we went out last night and a good time was had by all. Hubby and I drove up to LA to see What's My Line - Live On Stage. Just like the television show you remember growing up - a celebrity panel guided by a moderator tries to guess the line of work of guests who are hoping to stump them all. The only difference is it's not recorded for television viewing - just live comedy right on the stage. We have attended several of these performances in the last couple of years.
In previous shows we have been treated to some folk with very interesting lines of work - a woman who worked as a 'girdle tester' in the 50's, Bill Tapia - The Duke of Uke , a gentleman who performed on the theremin. Each show ends with a 'mystery guest' usually with some measure of fame - Alan Thicke, Dick VanPatten, Noah Wylie, Cameron Manheim, Sidney Sheldon.
Last night's show included a custom motorcycle seat maker, a rattle snake wrangler and Gerrin Berry - former member of Sha Na Na and polyphonic whistler - he can whistle multiple notes at the same time. We were treated to a demonstration performance of Over The Rainbow and joined in on Chopsticks. The Mystery Guest was Greg Behrendt, screen writer, comedian and author of the book He's Just Not That Into You. I wish the show wasn't quite so far from home, I'd love to go to every performance.
On the quilting front, I've started on marking and stitching my cables. I thought I was quite clever when I chose a 'busy' fabric. Thinking it would camouflage any poor quilting stitches, I didn't take into consideration how difficult it would be to mark. After testing a couple of different pencils, I settled on good old chalk. Easy to see, but quite temporary.
Because the chalk doesn't stay put very long, I am marking and stitching one border at a time. This is the third side and I'm feeling much more comfortable with the process. I am pleased with the size of the 'football' template I cut. It is just the right size to fill the border completely. I didn't think about that when I made the 'pumpkin seed' for the borders of Black Licorice and Butterscotch and the seeds meet a little oddly at the corners. I can live with it and I learned a to plan a little more at the start. I can hardly wait to try a feather.

25 comments:

atet said...

Oh my Libby -- you have been busy! Your swap pieces are wonderful and I love the little quilts you're working on as "practice". What a great way to get practice and have something that will look great in your home!

Darlene said...

It's really been fun and exciting to follow along and watch your progress with your little quilts. Saturday I purchased Prairie Children and Their Quilts and today I purchase the first book, American Doll Quilts. Both books are great. I'm enjoying just reading.

Lucy said...

What a great book hè! I love yoru cables. they are better as mine :-)

joyce said...

Your quilt is looking great. Don't you just love that way of marking cables! I saw it in a Gwen Marston book and have used it ever since. I heard a polyphonic whistler once. He was busking in Paris. When the police came to move him on he just picked up his hat full of money and moved. They seemed a bit frustrated with him. Lol.

Judy said...

Very, neat...can't wait to try my own! Both the regular and that one below where you have the little diamond between the cab;es! Fabulous Book!

Carole said...

Those little quilts are adorable. For chalk, I remember reading somewhere about using hair spray to fix it. I don't know how that would feel on your fingers. I've never tried it myself. have a wonderful day!

Bren said...

The show sounds fun!!
Your cables are wonderful...I use a stencil but the corners never seem to come out right so there is a lot of fudging.

Jenny said...

That sounds like great entertainment. Definitely better than watching t.v. Living with inperfect cable borders sounds much better than figuring the math out.

Patti said...

Sounds like a great show. We loved to watch that TV show when I was growing up.

I've quilted a few quilt borders using a "football" also, and have drawn and quilted freehand feathers. I was amazed how easy it was and sure enjoyed the process. Way nicer than trying to fit a ready made stencil to a quilt.

KCQuilter said...

Libby, you are a brave woman! Love your quilting ideas. I wish I were better at that!!! Sometimes on the Game Show Network, late at night, they show reruns of the old black-and-white game shows--What's My Line, I've Got a Secret, To Tell the Truth. My family just loved those shows!

Yvonne said...

I'm really loving your little quilts. I ordered the book also...hoping to get it today. Sounds like you had a really fun night!

kjquilts said...

Your night out sounds like fun! I love your little quilts. I've made a few and love how quickly they work up. You are making me want to do some more!

Dawn said...

Oh it is looking good! I love that border fabric. Now that it is cooler here I am going to get my hand quilting out again! I'm Itchin for some Stitchin!

Dawn said...

Forgot to say the show sounds so funny! What fun! What book is that?

gwen said...

This little quilt is turning really great and your quilting stitches look more than OK to me. With chalk, I only mark as I go along too and for corners, well some liberated quilting is never wrong! Take care.

Guðrún said...

I could never math out the corners, so I never do anything complicated. But after seeing you do it my fingers itch to try something new and "complicated" pattern.

Susie said...

Hi Libby,
That show sounds fun and aren't "date nights" the best!
Those little quilts are so cute :)

Frederique said...

Great job with this chalk, your border is nice!

Jeanne said...

The What's My Line show sounds like a lot of fun. Jim and I attend as many musicals and shows as we can in the area. It's a fun way to spend an afternoon or evening. Glad the quilting has begun on the star quilt.

Cheryl said...

I use to watch What's My Line with my mom. Great show and I loved the
heart necklace that the one lady
wore! Love your quilting projects.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

That sounds like my kind of show!
thanks for the quilting progress, should look great and you know I envy that hand skill.
Enjoyed your strippy, Tracey

Knot Garden said...

I mark as I go along too, and I find that easier than trying to mark the whole top at once. That book and American Doll Quilts by the same author are both nice ones. All your little quilts are looking lovely.

Quilt Nut said...

looks like a lovely quilt

katelnorth said...

Polyphonic whistling, eh? Almost as cool as a theremin... Nice quilt, too!

Marcie said...

What a nifty idea to make your little "football" pattern. Did I miss pumpkin seeds? How about a little tutorial for us on that method?