Friday, September 07, 2007

Look at this darling piece that arrived on my front doorstep yesterday. Back in July, I signed up with Carol at Brown Quilts for the Pay It Forward Challenge. I could never have imagined that I would be the recipient of such wonderful work. This little sewing kit is made all from wool and has a fall-ish color scheme (my favorite). Just look at that leaf - it's embellished with beads and it's dimensional, too.The inside is just as delightful with pockets for holding all of my little supplies. Look at the snap loop the keep the scissors secure. You can be certain this little goody will log lots of travel. Thank you so much, Carol! I couldn't be more thrilled.
I did have to run out of town for a day to take care of some business. Far more time logged in travel than in doing what I needed to do - just sometimes it's better to be there in person. I got to work on some of the quilting of the first Prairie Children and Their Quilts. The book suggested quilting an 'X' through each block. As I am trying to stretch myself, I decided to try parallel lines forming an 'X' just on either side of center . . . without marking. The lines are a bit wobbly here and there, but for the most part I am pleased. I'm going to mark a cable to quilt in the border. A touch of cyphering will be required to get the size right. I have practiced making paper 'footballs' as outlined in Quilting with Style. Now I just need to settle on a size.
While I'm working that out, I can continue some straight line quilting on the second quilt from the book. I cut and pieced it this afternoon. What fun to just sit and sew for only a couple of hours and finish the afternoon with a complete top. A sure way to feel successful.
Because I was gone, I've gotten behind in reading blogs. Again, please bear with me while I catch up with all of you. Who knows what all I'll see that you've been doing . . . . that I will just have to do, too.

20 comments:

Carole said...

What a cute gift! Those quilts are adorable! You have such patience to work with small pieces. Love those quilts! Enjoy hand quilting!

tami said...

So much inspiration in one post!
You are very luck with your pay it forward gift. So cute.
I love both of your quilts. Great fabric choices. I can't wait to see when the quilting is done.

Juliann in WA said...

That sewing kit is wonderful. And so are you two little quilts. Looks like fun stuff.

Darlene said...

That bag from Carol is absolutely adorable. And, so YOU. Perfect! I know that you'll enjoy it.

Your quilting in your hoop is wonderful and the second quilt is so cute. Do I need to own this book? I sure love that second quilt. HMMMM :-)

Guðrún said...

Your gift is beautiful, I think I am getting into the primitives! And your second quilt on its way to be finished, you sure are a fast sewer.

anne bebbington said...

I love the words on that bottom quilt

Angie said...

What a wonderful gift, Libby! Don't you just love those woolies? :D And your 'little' quilt' is another beauty...you do have the most gorgeous fabrics, girl! :)

dee said...

Oh Libby, that little piece at the end is adorable. What a lucky recipient that will be. You have the most wonderful way of making something new look antique. Just beautiful.

Bren said...

The sewing kit is wonderful. My favorite colors too! Your Prairie Children quilts are gorgeous. I love the feeling of finishing a project, so I have been thinking small once a month too!

Marcie said...

Darling little sewing kit! How much fun to receive that! Your little doll quilts are adorable. I have that book too. I should get busy and make something too.

Judy said...

You were right, the second quilt was perfect for civil war repro's! I think you are going to make me have to get that book soon!!

Love the quilting! Carol does the best work, doesn't she!

Littlepenpen said...

I love the friendship quilt! How precious!

Diane said...

Lovely post! What a gorgeous border fabric on that second quilt.

Wendy said...

What a cute little sewing kit. Your 2 quilts are adorable. I have the same book and really love it, so far I'm working on one of the quilts. I like how fast they are to make and I don't mind the small pieces.

Katie said...

Love those quilts. And the neat gift. Blogger friends are the best.

Dawn said...

Oh I love your new doll quilt! But most of all I just love the double lines for the X in the first one! That is a great idea!

Yvonne said...

Your sewing bag is delightful and your little cutes are so cute. I love them and the fabrics.

Elin said...

Very nice quilts! I've just seen a picture of your quilt on Anne Ida's table, very cute! And this book from the prairie children I'll look for at Amazon!
Elin in Norway.

Teresa said...

Your little quilt from the Prairie Children's QUilts book is lovely. I made that one as a retirement gift for a friend, it was a lot of fun to make. I'll have to try some more from that book - thanks for the inspiration!

Jeanne said...

What a lovely Pay It Forward gift you received! Your little quilts are so cute.