Thursday, September 13, 2007

More sure signs that fall is on the way. Today I was able to attend my favorite craft and antique sale. It is held 3 to 4 times per year, each time featuring items that are particular to the coming season. Whenever I receive that little red postcard in my mailbox, I know it is time to clear the calendar. I never fail to find something that just must come home with me . . . remember those bowls? I picked up 2 from this very spot. Today my purchases were small, but sure helped put me in the mood for the coming season.

Don't you just love this little gal? She was practically calling my name. Right next to her are two rusty acorn bells and right behind them is a great little candle scented like black licorice. I'll probably only be able to light it for short periods - but I sure couldn't resist the scent. My day is already cleared for the Christmas show coming in November.
This morning I put the last stitches in the binding of the first Prairie Children and Their Quilts piece and quickly got it washed and dried for it's photo op. This little dolly has been waiting patiently for a quilt of her own. Doesn't she look ready to have a tea party?
I also finished piecing the third quilt top from the book - Broken Dishes. I see that one block is twisted the wrong way . . . it's easy to be humble when you are me. Now I have 3 little quilts ready for hand quilting. The signature friendship top will have straight lines in the body of the quilt and I'm going to try feathers in the border. The mini coin quilt I haven't decided on a quilting motif yet. For Broken Dishes I would like to try some semi free-handed fans.

As much as I am enjoying the piecing of these little tops, I need to catch up with myself on the quilting. Time to sit down with a good movie and get stitchin'.

24 comments:

Juliann in WA said...

Sounds like a great day. I haven't been to a good craft show in a long time. Love your little quilts.

Linda said...

Now that looks like the sort of place I'd love to visit and shop. Unfortunately I couldn't get your photo's to show up....

Bren said...

I could only see the middle photo. I love the quilt and yes, the little doll looks ready for her party!

Dawn said...

Oh your new fall things are cute, cute, cute! And I love your doll quilts!

Darlene said...

The Fall treasures are delightful.

I love the little doll with her new quilt. Sweet! Can I come have tea with her?

All of your doll quilts are going to be great. Way to go!

Anne Ida said...

Looks like you had a lovely day! The doll is adorable :o)

Your little Prairie Children quilts are adorable!

By the way; I've been eating strawberry jam with my breakfast these days - yummy!!!

Take care! Hugs...

KCQuilter said...

Your little doll quilts are precious. I love both those books, Prairie Children & Their Quilts and American Doll Quilts. I keep them both handy--just for fun and inspiration.

Vicki W said...

I love your little quilts!

Knot Garden said...

I really like those acorn bells, never seen anything like them before. The little quilts are beautiful.

Finn said...

Oh Libby, you are having waaaay too much fun with those Prairie Children!! I've been sitting here regreting and regreting not getting it when I was at the quilt shop last time! Darn! And me with a $20 gift card to use. I may just have to make that trip this weekend!
Your quilts are looking so awesome and it's wonderful to see you hand quilting..love it! good solution on the marking with chalk, it's much easier to remove than some of what they sell now.Love the little doll by the quilt.
The craft sale looks like fun and you found some great treasures! Love the look of the broken dishes quilt top *VBS* Have a great stitching weekend! Hugs, Finn

Judy said...

Those small quilts are addictive! I have 9 to do for the BOM series from Lori Smith. I need to start making some of them soon!

Your cable turned out very well I can make it out on the right side a bit!

Carole said...

Oh, your little quilts are so sweet! I must get that book! Love your purchases! Thank you for sharing!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Both your new dolls are so cute, Mr Scarecrow is just great :O)...
Your Pairie Childrens Quilts sure turned out nice and yes I think your new doll is perfect with hers!

atet said...

What lovely doll quilts and those fall craft purchases are such fun!

Lucy said...

Oh Oh Ohhh you are a gifted quiltmaker!! and the doll... did you make her?And where can I find a pattern. I love her :-)

Guðrún said...

How many quilts are there in the book. It seems like you are doing a quilt each day so it wont take you a long time to finish the book.

yellowfarmhouse said...

What wonderful treasures you picked up today. Great additions to your fall decorating.

I am loving your little quilts and I wish I liked handquilting like you do. For as much as I adore handwork, I just can't get into the handquilting part.

Karen

Carol said...

I'll bet that little scarecrow girl was just waiting to go home to your house...cute as can be and I love those acorns. Your doll quilts are just wonderful!

Bren said...

Come get your award!

Susie said...

I love your little scarecrow gal. I can see why you couldn't resist her. Is it feeling like fall down your way, because we're still not there yet!
xo

Wendy said...

I love your craft and antique show finds, I can smell the licorice already....hmmmm. Your doll quilt are adorable and the dolly looks like she belongs with that quilt.

Colleen Whalen Eskridge said...

loved your little quilt. Thanks for posting the pics. I am going to start making doll quilts...I love them! Colleen in South Africa

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

You're making some lovely little quilts at the moment Libby. Beautiful.

Dannielle said...

I really, really like this little quilt (and the doll!) I think I'm going to have to copy it.