Sunday, September 16, 2007

Today May Britt shared a post with photos from her morning walk along with fabrics that show her favorite season: Fall. She challenged us to share our favorite season and to show it in fabrics. It seems like many are anticipating the change of season right now. In the northern hemisphere - fall brings back-to-school, our gardens begin to wind down, trees begin to change color and we anticipate cool, crisp air morning and evening. Like May Britt, fall is my favorite time of year.
Here in southern California some of those things actually happen and some we have to imagine for ourselves. To compensate for that I try to begin decorating my home early in September - hoping to fool myself into feeling all the sensations of fall my friends further to the north enjoy. This year with the unusual heat we had at the end of August, I haven't had the heart to ask Hubby to climb high into the hot rafters of the garage to pull down the boxes of fall things.
I do have some quilts that don't go into 'garage storage' that bring about a feeling of fall for me. The first is an alphabet sampler from a Cheri Payne pattern. It comes out at back-to-school time. My favorite block is 'N-O-P' - Nine Orange Pumpkins. That block alone sold me on making this quilt.
Next is a quilt whose patten I do not know (maybe my 2008 resolution will be to properly label each and every quilt that I make . . . not just when the mood strikes me.) This quilt is displayed on our dining table all through the fall season. It is another that I eagerly anticipate putting out each year.
The last quilt is one that I made fairly early in my quilting career (no label- again.) It's a version of a bulls eye. It is a favorite 'drag around' quilt for me. Not only are the colors reminiscent of fall, but the fabrics are all brushed cottons making it so soft and cuddly. This is a quilt that I have stuffed into the suitcase to go with me on several trips. Today I noticed the binding could use some tending to. I'll have to get right on that because I want this quilt to last forever.
So there's a little look at my favorite season in fabrics. Can't wait to see yours.

33 comments:

Tracey said...

pretty, pretty!!

i'm still in denial...even though it's only 60 degrees out there today. i refuse to let go of summer...can't bare to think about those *cold* winter days coming upon us. bleck.

tracey
www.theehandworks.typepad.com

Juliann in WA said...

Oh I love your fall quilts. The N-O-P blocks is wonderful. thanks for sharing them.

Linda said...

What wonderful quilts Libby, I love the centre phot, the one you place on your table.

Patti said...

What a marvelous CSP quilt! And no wonder you love the pumpkin block. I can't remember if I have that pattern or not - most likely I do. Oh dear - way too many things I want to do! I sure hope I can sew again really soon - this inactivity is driving me nuts!

Sweet P said...

Gorgeous fall quilts. I'm beginning to think all quilters love fall.

Finn said...

Really gorgeous quilts Libby! And what a neat idea to share the season in color...*VBS*, I'll have to drag out another(previously shown) autumn lovely.
I especially like the Sampler, don't remember seeing it before..laughted at the Jack In the Box block with all the Jacks going wonky...LOL And I think I see where Shirley, Goodness and Mercy live the rest of the year!
The last one, your drag around quilt is just such fun! Love all those catyumpus blocks all happily tumbled together! Thanks fof sharing..Hugs, Finn

Bren said...

Beautiful Quilts! Very much a feeling of fall! I like them all, but am partial to the last one. It has its own personality! (a warm one)

Hedgehog said...

I just love that third quilt! Thanks so much for sharing. It's definitely fall here in Finland already!

Marcie said...

Do you know that I have taken to wearing a bib as I view your blog? I can't help drooling all over the keyboard! Great quilts, again.

May Britt said...

Thanks for sharing. Love the Alfabeth quilt. So lovely colours and motives.

meggie said...

Autumn as we call it here, is my favourite time of year, too. I have to wait now until next year before ours comes around again! LOL
Your quilts are lovely.

Anne Ida said...

Oh, thank you for the display of fall quilts! They are all different, but oh! so pretty!!! Autumn is my favorite season as well :o) Love those "earthy" colours! Take care!

May K said...

Love your quilts! All of them! Thank you for sharing!

Carole said...

As always, beautiful quilts! I just love your choice of pattern and colours! Yes, the pumpking block alone would have sold me. I love pumpkins. Thanks for sharing! Happy Fall!

Carol said...

What a wonderful quilt show! OMG! I Love them all! Thank you for sharing.

Susie said...

Beautiful fall colors! This morning it actually "almost" feels like fall here. It will get real warm later though.
How close is that big fire that we keep hearing about? Hope all is OK with your area?
xo

Darlene said...

Wow, Libby, that was fun - beautiful quilts. I love the N-O-P block!

Rose Marie said...

Thanks for sharing ... they are all beautiful and they say 'fall' to me!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Love all the quilts and I agree with you, I should make sure I start putting labels on every quilt! Impossible to remember the year, pattern names, books ... yep yep a person should label!

Shelina said...

Libby, I really enjoyed looking at your fall quilts, and all your prairie quilts you have been making. I am anxious to finish my blue quilt so I can work with the fall colors again. Unfortunately, most of my fall quilts are UFOs - hopefully this fall I will be able to get them to the completion stage.

Dawn said...

oooo - I LOVE that alphabet quilt. I think I've seen it before? But I still love it. and I love that brushed cotton quilt - now that is a cool design! I love your stuff. Want to just send it all my way?!

Diane said...

What a great idea for an autumn post. Your quilts are beautiful. It's fun to think of you as a grown woman with your own "drag around" quilt.

kjquilts said...

Your quilts really are wonderful. I love the bullseye! I can see why you want it to last.

Judy said...

Oh how fabulous...all of them!!! I've seen the other two before but LOVED your version of Cheri's ABC Sampler. Can't decide which to make after I finish the christmas one...you need to make that soon too!

I love the second one. I made a bad attempt to lay it out in EQ but I'll figure it out one day. It's something that just has to be made at some point...ah the list keeps getting longer and longer!!

OH and fall has arrived here "sort of". 71 yesterday and 74 today and it's actually getting in the 60's at night! I'm loving the break we are having but soon we'll go back for a few weeks of mid 80's. Told hubby If we could stay between 74 and 55 I'd move anywhere! Yours will arrive soon!

Quilt Memories said...

All of your quilts are absolutely beautiful, I would have a hard time choseing a favorite!!!!

Happy Fall Y'all!!!!

Wendy said...

Fall has definitely arrived here. It's so much colder at night I had to add the extra blanket last night...brrrrr. Loved your fall quilt show.

Jeanne said...

I refuse to touch the thermostat to start the furnace. I'm not ready to switch to fall yet even though I love fall.
Your fall quilts are all very lovely. I especially love the alphabet sampler.

Abby said...

Those quilts are beautiful!

Screen Door said...

The detail in that quilt--- how long did it take to make it? great colors... I love the flying geese blocks.

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

That seems to be a very American thing to decorate your homes seasonally. You have some lovely quilts for autumn - I wish it were cooling down here, but of course it is already feeling quite hot.

yellowfarmhouse said...

Libby I love your fall quilts. That ABC quilt is awesome and that must have been a lot of handwork, right up my alley. I made a bulleye's quilt and love your quilt using the same method. Thanks for sharing your quilts.

Hugs - Karen

amandajean said...

that sampler quilt is outstanding. I love it...impressive doesn't even begin....how long did it take you to make it?

Em said...

My My My - I have never wanted to make a fall quilt - I don't know why! But NOW I really want to make that alphabet sampler quilt - I really love it! I love the colors, and the humor all over it. It's perfect! Now... when will I have time for it? Oh- do you know where I could find that pattern? Em (emandmikeyATaolDOTcom)