Sunday, September 02, 2007

Warning - I'll be up on my soapbox for just a brief moment. Regularly scheduled blogging can be found by scrolling down just a little.
Does everyone remember 'The Christmas Song'? There are lots of different versions out there, but when I think of the lyrics, 'Although it's been said many times, many ways . . .' Perry Como's is the voice I hear. So as a tribute to Perry Como - Although it's been said many times, many ways . . . please check your blogger profiles. If you are set to No Reply, it is very difficult to respond to comments and particularly questions that are left on posts.
I don't respond to every comment that I receive, but I do try to drop a little note to everyone who visits my blog every-once-in-a-while. I love to answer questions and share information on patterns, fabrics, stitching methods, recipes and just drop a friendly little 'hello.' It is so frustrating to search out links or other sources and send it on the way only to have it returned as undeliverable. If you wish to not have your primary email available on the 'net, please consider setting up an account with one of the many free email sources - gmail, Yahoo , . . . *getting off my soapbox now*
Speaking of Christmas. I received my Lehman's 2007-2008 catalog in the mail this week. Remember when you were a kid and the Sears Wishbook, J.C. Penney, Montgomery Ward and Speigel catalogs arrived? You could feel the excitement in the air. You knew you should begin taking extra pains to be more nice and less naughty - well I get those same feelings as an adult when this catalog arrives. It's such fun to leaf through all the pages. I keep a highlighter nearby. It's efficient and and quick- I don't have to worry that Hubby or The Princess can't read my writing on my wish list.I finished sewing the first top from the Prairie Children and Their Quilts book. My current plan is to make each quilt in the book, in order. I would like use these projects as a way to build my hand quilting skills - to achieve better more consistent stitches as well as stretch myself by doing more than simple crosshatch and simple echo quilting. Don't get me wrong - I think crosshatch quilting is beautiful, I just want to try something new.
I was enjoying a post on Lucy's blog - Quilting With The Past - and she mentioned the book, Quilting With Style by Gwen Marston and Joe Cunningham. I was so excited over the cables and feather Lucy had done free-hand, I ordered the book right away. I started reading and planning as soon as it arrived.
I am just about done hand quilting on Black Licorice and Butterscotch - echo quilting the broken dishes. This afternoon I began marking a pumpkin seed design around the border. I think it's going to be fun. In this quilt, I plan to make X's across each friendship star. Then I will attempt a real-live-honest-to-goodness cable out in the border. (It was no accident that the border fabric is very busy.) I'm very excited about this new plan. With the sizes of these quilts being small, it will be a good way to test out not only the quilting patterns but different marking techniques all without a huge investment of time.
Another reason to be glad the quilts are small - it's HOT! Far too hot to be sitting under a bed sized piece to quilt. Fall and winter can't get here fast enough.

26 comments:

dot said...

Beautiful quilt. Sounds like fun, your idea on quilting. Iused a hand quilted quilt last night, one of the very few that I have hand quilted. Ijust might have to post a picture of it. One of my first quilts.

Bren said...

That is so cute! I am such a fan of 1/2 inch crosshatching, but my favorite pattern is the Baptist Fans. I just really dislike hand quilting through seam allowance!!!! I agree about the no reply thing.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Love that Butterscotch and Licorice, and your not-to-subtle Christmas wish list. Cute! Oh,how I remember poring over the pages of the Sears Wishbook, until the pages were as thin and worn as tissue paper! What a great memory.Enjoy your hand quilting adventures.

Diane said...

I admire your goal of making every little quilt in the book. What a great collection you will have when you're done. I taught hand quilting for many years and always recommended the Quilting With Style book. It's great!

Quilting Pirate said...

Do you mind if I borrow your soap box stand?? I agree. I would love to answer comments, but soo many folks don't allow emails...frustrating!

And woo hoooooo on a completed top! It looks so warm and homey!

Angie said...

Libby, oh Libby, I love, Love, LOVE your little Friendship Star quilt!!! I have that book...dang it dangit, I just CAN'T get them all done that I want to DO!!! :0 LOL Shhh, it's a secret, but I started a quilt with Dazy Darlene, and you've already seen the other things I'm currently playing with, and OMG, I want to do one of EACH!!!! Maybe my Lehman's catalog will be here soon if you have your's already. :D

Linda said...

What a great quilt, and thanks for the reminder about the no reply, it can become very frustrating at times.

Darlene said...

That's it - that's it!!!! What? I'm coming to visit you for many, many days so you can teach me how to handquilt. OK? I'll be there very soon. ;-)

kjquilts said...

I really like your little quilt! I've got to check out Lehmans catalog.

Dawn said...

I love your fabric choices! It is so darn cute! My all time favorite is the cross-hatch anyway! But I like fans too! Can't wait to see your free hand feathers!

May Britt said...

Beautiful star quilt. You will find that handquilting is so fun and it is easy to do. I love handquilting and look forward to when I can start doing that againg. But right now it's to hard for my shoulder to do.

anne bebbington said...

Love your little Friendship stars quilt - doll quilts are so nice and manageable aren't they? Incidentally loved the acorn table runner you sent to Nancy

Screen Door said...

I love your quilt. Cooler temps are on the way....I still struggle with no replys emails too.

Karen said...

Wow, you have been busy and productive!

Sweet P said...

I remember getting the Christmas catalogs as a child. I would spend hours drooling over the toys and pink bedding.

Your little quilt is adorable. I love your fabric choices.

Carole said...

The quilt show had an episode with Joe Cunningham, he's an amazing hand quilter and what a funny guy he is! They used to have it as a free viewing but not anymore. He does have a website and dvds available. I just love his personality! Your quilt is lovely! Thanks for sharing!

Judy said...

MOG!!! How many of us ordered that book after seeing Mary and Lucy's post! I LOVE mine that arrive last week and I can't believe how great the instructions are and easy to do!

joyce said...

I borrowed Joe and Gwen's book from the library and found it full of ideas that I now always use, esp with the marking of cables. People should check the no-reply thing once in awhile because sometimes it seems to re-set itself to no reply.

Jeanne said...

Your first effort from the new book turned out terrific! I've had that book in my hands several times, but always put it back on the shelf. As I watch you make the quilts through the book, I may have to reconsider and finally go get it.

Lucy said...

Wow this quilt turn out so lovely!!

Chris said...

I have been seeing on the weather out your way that it is very hot. Nice and fall like feel to NH right now so I love it! Hope your heat breaks soon.

Guðrún said...

Oh that quilt is beautiful, practicing the hand quilting is something I need to do. You may have something of my autumn, it´s windy now.

Kairle said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was trying to figure out how to tell my sister to change her settings so that I could reply to her, but I couldn't remember how. lol!

Cute quilt. I really love the scrappy friendship stars.

Patti said...

It will be so much fun to watch these little quilts as you make them. I've been debating about that book - haven't seen it anywhere in person - but haven't gotten it so far. I have every season of Jo's Little Women quilts, plus at least a half dozen or more doll quilts books, and I'm thinking I probably don't need this one. What do you think? You've seen it. Kathie Holland says no - it's not that different from what I already have.

Good luck with the soapbox. We've all blogged about this from time to time and nothing changes!

I'm not familiar with Lehman's catalog. Do they have a website? I'm guessing that's a big "yes". :-)

Love the fabrics you've chosen for this little quilt. It's absolutely perfect!

Laura said...

Love the little quilt. I have enjoyed making them also for the same reason, it has given me my love of handquilting back. I love that book by Gwen!
I am one of those no reply people. It just works for me. I have a hard enough time finding the time to blog and read, no time to do email. I will go back to reply after my job eases up a bit.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Plaids and stars, you can't go wrong!
Enjoyed your 4 seasons as well, I have had a bit of difficulty as well, I am feeling alittle under pressure to come up with something really good and it's stopping me from getting started-I should just sit and sew!
Brochure loos fun, everyone stresses about all this internet shopping, but when you think about it, it's just a real time catalogue...and they have been around for years!! Tracey