Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Ahhhh, vacation. So many new places, new experiences . . . then you come home and reality hits you like a ton of bricks right on the top of the head. The house is dusty, the plants need watering, the laundry hamper is filled to over-flowing and there is more accumulated mail than you can shake a stick at.
We tried to get right on top of everything on our first day home. Priority number one was to pick up Harper from The Holiday Pet Hotel. Don't get me wrong, she loves it there - but she was a blur as she ran passed me on her way outside to her car. 70 pounds of furry, blurry puppy joy!
While we were out, we stopped in at the post office to pick up the tub of mail that had built up for us. It seemed like a daunting task to weed our way through the junk, expired sale circulars, bills, magazines, random notices that came to our address, and even a hand written letter from a far away friend. A job I was not looking forward to, but it had to be done.
Imagine my surprise when about halfway through I found a fun little package. A package with my name on it. It was getting better by the second. I had received my Four Seasons Swap quilt.
Isn't it a beauty? Wendy from Snippets of a Quilter made this just for me. It's called Prairie Baskets and is from Prairie Children and Their Quilts. Aren't the colors wonderful? Makes me think of working by the light of the harvest moon to bring in the last of the crop. Thank you so much - I just love it.
Okay, now back to the mail bucket. My various piles were growing by the minute - magazines, junk mail for recycling, junk mail for shredding, catalogs to look at, catalogs to toss, bills to be paid . . . wait a minute - another package - with my name on it. This is almost too good to believe.
Look at all the fun stuff that Carole of Quilting Adventures sent me all of these little treats. A few weeks back we had some email correspondence about my use of small pieces of fabric. Carole said she had the fabric swatches that Keepsake Quilting sends out and thought I might be able to use them in a project. Well that sounded like a lot of fun - so they made their way across country.

But Carole didn't stop there. No she added a few more little treats - some pieces from a Buggy Barn collection and repro fabrics from the Smithsonian collection. Can you see that little baggy right in front? Carole sent along some little teensy weensy triangles from a project. Wonder what I can make of them? Oh - there was some yummy chocolates, too. But sadly they didn't last until I took pictures.
Boy am I glad I got right down to business with the mail - it was sure fun thanks to my blogging friends.

26 comments:

Jeanne said...

Yes, your little quilt is a beauty! That was a great swap. The goodies are wonderful and I hope the chocolate was yummy.

Screen Door said...

I think you were missed while you were gone.... somebody loves ya...

May Britt said...

The little quilt is so cute. I have now ordered this book. Have read so much about it and how many fancy this book, so I had to have it :)
I'm sure you make something beautiful out of your receiving small fabrics.

Beth said...

Wow! Lucky you with all those great gifties!

CONNIE W said...

Great little quilt. And to top it off that gift of goodies. How can it get any better?

Dawn said...

I love your little quilt! What awesome colors! That would make anyone smile! It is wonderful! I"m doing a small doll quilt swap in a month - so I'm looking for ideas!!! Hmmmmmmm.....

Darlene said...

Treasures and goodies from two very special ladies!

Your swap quilt from Wendy is beautiful and so YOU! :-)

And Carole's treats are perfect to enjoy!

Terrific Blessings!

Linda said...

What wonderful surprises to come home to, much more enjoyable than bills. Love the quilt that Wendy made, just gorgeous, and all those pretty fabrics from Carole, definately loved.

Patty said...

What a great little quilt. Enjoyed reading your blog

Judy said...

Hey I saw that quilt on her blog as she was making it!! Loved it then too! Nice goodies. Have fun at jury duty...yuck!

Yvonne said...

The quilt is so nice...you are one very loved lady. :) Enjoy all your goodies!

Patti said...

What wonderful things to come home to! Makes sorting through that mail worthwhile. The quilt is just perfect - you couldn't have asked for something nicer. And what fun you are going to have playing with all those little pieces! Looks like Keepsake Quilting sends out bigger pieces now. The pieces I had from them years ago were about 1 1/4" square. I turned them into 4-patches and put them in my orphan quilts.

Frederique said...

Beautiful small quilt, and a lot of goodies to warm you!

Wendy said...

I'm so happy the little quilt is now in a good home. I will be there to visit often.

meggie said...

Your little quilt is wonderful!
Lovely goodies too.
Nice to get home, even if chores press at first.

Anne Ida said...

Wendy's quilt is lovely! - hope you find much joy it :o) This swap was so great! (your mini quilt is still on my kitchen table :o)) Your other mail goodies looks great, too! Lots of fun for you!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Blogging buddies are THE BEST!

Carole said...

Oh, I love Wendy's quilt! It is sweet! She does such great work! You know, those little triangles were a joke! lol I guess the joke is on me! lol Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie said...

What a nice gift to come home to. Wasn't that a great swap? Will be watching to see what you make of the other package!

gwen said...

You are a lucky girl to get the beautiful 4SS quilt from Wendy. It is awesome. Carole is really nice to send you all these goodies. I hope you will use some of them in the next 4SS quilt and then I am the lucky one to get it! Take care.

Bren said...

I am so glad you had a wonderful Anniversary trip. The mail was a job for sure, but I am sure it was worth it when you found your rewards!! I LOVE the fall quilt Wendy made you. I watched it come together and thought it was beautiful! Welcome home.

Finn said...

Hi Libby, good to have you back in the USA! I'll bet Harper checks every few minutes to make sure you are still there *VBS*
And such nice surprises in you mail box. The 4SSwap quilt is just perfect for you...what a great little quilt! I think I may have to buy that book when Betsy and I hit the Mile 4 quilt shop on Monday. We're off on a birthday(for me) outing *VBS*
Loved the post about the trip..it all sounds sooooo very wonderful *VBS* I can't think of any two people who deserve it more *VBS* Hope the jet lag eases soon. Hugs, Finn

Guðrún said...

Your four season quilt looks lovely. This fun mail sure was a nice thing to come home to and Carole is such a nice friend let me know.

Sweet P said...

Your small quilt is gorgeous. Isn't it wonderful to find great packages among the junk mail?

Katie said...

Never know what the mail brings. So wonderful. I see your happy face all the way over here.

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

What a lovely swap quilt. Poor Harper having to go to what we call "The Evil Place" (which is really not that bad). They don't let beagles sleep on the bed there - that's the main problem.