Thursday, October 11, 2007

Do you dread when people want to share all of their vacation photos? Stacks and stacks of images of the very same thing, each from a slightly different angle. I know I have fallen victim to that very scenario more than once in my day. With that said, I can't help sharing just a few myself . . . I hope you don't mind. First stop - London.
This is a view of The London Eye - a giant, slow moving Ferris Wheel-like attraction right on the Thames. This is standing at the base and looking straight up. We were told a complete trip takes about 30 minutes and the views are spectacular, but we chose to skip it and keep moving.This is Parliament with the clock tower and Big Ben. For the first time in 147 years, the bell was silenced for a thorough cleaning. No chimes of us.
I was completely enthralled with the rows and rows of chimneys on the tops of buildings. I just couldn't help but think of Bert and his friends from Mary Poppins dancing and singing their way across the rooftops of London.
From the Egyptian collections at The British Museum. Wouldn't these make great quilting patterns?
All right - you get a little bit of the flavor. Next stop . . . Paris.
On the home front, I got the chance to take a few stitches yesterday. It sure felt good to have needle and thread in my hands again. I stitched down the binding on this little quilt. Also I started a simple, primitive applique piece that will become a pillow. It won't take long to finish and I'll share a picture in a day or so.

29 comments:

joyce said...

I am enjoying the photos of your trip. Can't wait to see Paris.

tami said...

I love your vacation photos. You have a very artistic eye.
The mini quilt came out wonderfully. I better get quilting on mine. You are putting me to shame.

Bren said...

I love vacation pictures. London is beautiful!!

Screen Door said...

I love the photos... it may be the closest I get to the places you've been. Keep posting them.

Judy said...

I love that black rug!! Always meant to say that. Very cool mini. Aren't they simply fantastic to put on the coffee tables? The boys scoot the candy jar away and eventually end up sleeping on the whole thing!! Good job!

Fiona said...

The London Eye is great, but you were right to keep moving with so little time in the city - we queued for what seemed like hours (and probably was an hour and a half).

gwen said...

Thanks for sharing pictures of London. Now I am waiting for the ones from Paris (guess why!).
The mini is so beautiful and yet so simple. I love it! Take care.

Cheryl said...

Love seeing your photos of London. What a wonderful trip. Up next Paris - more pictures please!

ROZ said...

We went to England once and it was really beautiful. Glad you had fun.

Jeanne said...

I love seeing your pictures and reading what you have to say about them. They are of places I haven't been but would like to see someday. The mini quilt is really cute.

Susie said...

Your photos are great, and you show such restraint in posting just a few!
I need to take lessons from you.
Going through the mail is one of my least favorite things when I get home.
Glad you found some fun stuff amongst the throwaway stuff!
xo

floribunda said...

I got dragged on two circuits of the London Eye a couple of years ago with some business colleagues. I'm scared of heights, so it was a real challenge -- that thing is about 30 stories tall and you're riding in a glass bubble! I was a wreck in need of a stiff drink by the time we got back on the ground...

Juliann in WA said...

Thanks for the pictures - I so hope to go back one day. We did the London Eye and it was a pretty cool experience.

Wendy said...

I love your pictures of London, I hope we can visit again sometime.
The little quilt is sooooo adorable.

amandajean said...

your little quilt is fab!

Dawn said...

I love your little crayon/coin quilt! And I don't care if I had all the time in the world - there is no way you would get me on that ferris wheel! Oh that egyptian design is gorgeous - Oh wouldn't that make some great whole cloth quilting?!

CONNIE W said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos. I've enjoyed them and am waiting for Paris!

Yvonne said...

I'm enjoying the photos and your descriptions of them. I love your little quilt...it's awesome!

anne bebbington said...

You should've made the time to go on the London Eye - the views are amazing, you can pick out all the well known landmarks and it's a lovely experience even without the view - maybe another time :o)

dee said...

First, let me say that I will never tire of any pics you put up here. Always something wonderful to look at. Bring on the Photos girl!
That's a a darling little quilt.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Incredible photography... love the quilt inspiration from the British Museum. Your mini-quilt is DARLING!

Finn said...

Good job on getting great pictures..almost feel like I've been there *VBS*
Love the little mini quilt...very sweet. Hugs, Finn

Guðrún said...

I love to read about your vacation, didn´t you love the lamp posts on the bridge over Thames next to Big Ben.

Marcie said...

How adorable! I can't get enough of these little quilts! Cool shots from London too. Looking for the chimney sweeps..

yellowfarmhouse said...

Hey I love seeing vacation pictures. That one is awesome of the huge ferris wheel or whatever it was called. Not a big fan of heights, don't think I would have made that trip, LOL. Cute little mini quilt.

Hugs - Karen

Katie said...

I so love it when you take me with you in pics. "We" must go back when Big Ben is working. It must feel good to have needle in hand again.

Sweet P said...

I love your photos of the wheel. That is the kind of photo that makes vacation pictures so cool.

Heleen said...

love your London photo's it's been a while sinds I was there. I really like your blog. the miniquilt is wonderfull, you give new inspiration to make one to.

Carole said...

Wow, what a great trip! So many beautiful places and oh so full of history! What a quite miniature quilt! Thanks for sharing!