Friday, October 19, 2007

Gadgets - take 'em or leave 'em? For me, the newest gadget doesn't usually end up being a high priority. I have the basic necessities - sewing machine, rotary cutter, mat, ruler(s), scissors, needles and thread . . . oh and fabric. Lots and lots of fabric. When it comes to making templates for applique, I will reach for the freezer paper. Sometimes, out of laziness, I have just cut pieces free hand in order to get to the stitching step more quickly.
For my newest project, I knew I was going to have to come up with a better, more consistent solution. You see I need 90 circles in three different sizes - 270 total. While I don't expect them to be perfect or exactly the same like a die-cut, I do want them to look uniform to the naked eye. With pattern in hand, I headed to the kitchen to find 'round' things that I could trace, over and over and over again.In pretty quick time, I found just what I needed - a little bowl, a mortar and a drinking glass each fit on the pattern just right. Here is my little assembly line. Lighter fabrics get the Pigma pen and darker fabrics get the white pencil. When I have a good pile (and I'm bored of tracing) I start cutting out the circles with the scissors, leaving a nice little seam allowance to turn under. So far it has been fun . . . we'll talk again when I'm closer to the end.
Darlene tagged me a couple of days ago - let's see how I do.

4 jobs I've had-

motel maid (that lasted less than 2 weeks)
McDonalds
various positions at credit unions over the years
wife and mother

4 films I could watch over and over-

To Kill A Mockingbird
Disney's The Kid
One True Thing
A Star Is Born (any version)

4 TV shows I watch

Ugly Betty
Project Runway
Amazing Race
Friends, Gilmore Girls, Mad About You (I know that's 3 shows - but since they are all cancelled I just catch the syndicated reruns whenever.)

4 Places I've lived

California
North Carolina
California

4 Favorite foods

Cheese enchiladas
Seafood
Popcorn
German Chocolate Cake

4 Favorite colors

Red
Black
Olive/brownish green
Mustard gold

4 Places I would love to be right now

Right here in my very own little house
Flagstaff, Arizona
Germany
Hawaii

4 Names I love but would/could not use on my children

Harper
Dru
Dizzy
Cajun
(I would not want to name a child after a pet *s*)

Feel free to tag yourself if you'd like to play along.

Next time I'll share the last of the vacation photos - next stop Germany.

18 comments:

Linda said...

I'm with you Libby, I'd much rather have the $$ for the fun stuff like fabric. Kitchen utensils are wonderful for pattern pieces.

Carol said...

I'm with you...all those gadgets are way over rated...if we make do with what we have we can have more money left for FABRIC! Now I'm curious...what are you doing with 270 circles?

joyce said...

I'm a gadget person but I try to limit them to things I will actually use. I have been fairly successful so far.

CONNIE W said...

Some things I have in common with you: Germany; One True Thing; To Kill A Mockingbird; Gilmore Girls; colors black and mustard gold.
Connie W

Guðrún said...

I like the fabrics, what are you doing?????

Bren said...

I don't have gadgets either. I am so excited to see your penny quilt!!!

Screen Door said...

My Mom took a girlfriend and I to see "A Star is born" I'll always remember it...

kjquilts said...

What a tease! ;o) Can't wait to see what you are making. Make do with what you have is a great motto!

Marilyn R said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your project with all of those circles! As far as gadgets are concerned, I have to admit I do own some that I haven't used. I do try to limit my gadget purchases though, I see more then I buy!

Diane said...

Clever you for making do! When I worked at a quilt shop I felt guilty selling the latest doo-dad when I knew they were so often unnecessary.

Quilt Memories said...

Gadgets!! Oh MY!!... I love gadgets,but I use most of them on a pretty regular basis, the rest are used, just not so often.There is definitely a lot that I don't have!

Colleen Eskridge said...

I'm not much of gadget girl.But last time I needed graduated circles..for a very unfinished as yet quilt..used the metal graduated circle cookie cutters.That justified buying them.Can't wait to see your quilt. Colleen

Carole said...

What's you working on? I'm not much of a gadget person. I think I'm more of a software junkie! Can't wait to see what you're working on! Thanks for sharing things about you! Keep well!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

mmm what on earth are you doing with that many circles in different sizes! I cannot wait to see :O)...

Judy said...

Before I got the circle templates I always used my thread drawer as a good place to find circles or all sizes. Big ones come from plates, saucers etc.

When I made my batik and black quilt with circles the perfect size was a CD. Poor Alan Jackson got used to draw the line, pull the running stitch and steam set all the seam allowances on every circle. The cd always bowed and then cooled back into a flat cd. never tried to play it after that but he did go to a greater cause...quilting!

Judy said...

One more thing...I couldn't place the One True Thing movie so I went and looked...oh yes. Watched that after Mom was diagnosed and bawled the entire movie and for about 3 hours afterwards.

Darlene said...

I've always loved gadgets but now I find that I have a drawer full of gadgets that I never use. So, I seldom buy a gadget anymore. LOL

What are you making with all those circles?

Em said...

I love Germany too - I can't wait until I get the chance to go back and visit! I love North Carolina - where did you live when you were here? Great job with the circles - exactly what I would have done for sure! Em (emandmikeyATaolDOTcom)