Saturday, October 06, 2007

Home again, home again. Jiggety jog. Let me first start with thanking each of you for the warm, wonderful comments and well wishes for our anniversary and the quilt I made to commemorate our 25th a couple of years back. It was a delight to read each one and to share them with Hubby.
So where have we been? And why am I posting to my blog before 4 in the morning? The answer to the second question is: JET LAG! Here's a hint on where we have been . . .First stop - London. We had four days to attempt to see and do everything there is in this bustling city. I think we should receive an 'E' for our valiant effort - The Albert and Victoria Museum, Harrod's Department Store, a tour of the city on the famous red double decker buses and a ride down the Thames, The British Museum, tour of St. Paul's Cathedral, a performance of Phantom Of The Opera at Her Majesty's Theater, The Tower of London, The National Gallery, and what seemed like miles and miles of walking to see Parliament, Big Ben, the London Eye, Buckingham Palace, 10 Downing Street, Hyde Park, Green Park, Trafalgar Square . . .
We then presented ourselves at the train station for a trip to . . .
Paris. That's right - I stuffed my fears deep down inside for a fantastic train ride via the chunnel- which turned out to be not so scary after all. With only 2 1/2 days in Paris, we once again crammed in as much as humanly possible - fortified by lots of croissants, baguettes, crepes and cheeses. From our hotel we walked to Notre Dame and climbed aboard another double decker bus for an overview tour of the city - Champs Elyses, the Arc d'Triumph, the Eiffel Tower, the Paris Opera House (setting of Phantom of the Opera - are you sensing a theme?) We went to the Musee 'd Orsay and the Louvre. We felt like we were almost on art overload - it's one thing to remember what you saw but another to remember exactly which museum each piece was in. It was impossible to see everything - but we certainly made every effort before boarding another train to . . .
Germany. We had 7 wonderful days with The Princess. What fun to see her standing on the train platform as we pulled into the station. After a quick overnight at her home, we climbed into her car for a trip southward to Schloss Linderhof and Schloss Neuschwanstein. The breathtaking scenery was well worth the long car ride. It was like being transported into a fairy-tale. The trees were sporting their fall colors, fields of hay and corn were being harvested, cows and sheep grazing in roadside pastures all with the back drop of majestic snow capped mountains.
There was a day trip to Heidelberg with different but equally picturesque scenery. And even a couple of days to relax and visit with our girl in her home. It was hard to say good bye at the airport - it will be some time before we get to see her again, but it was a wonderful trip filled with many new adventures and memories.
Now we are home, suitcases stored, laundry all put away and trying to get back to the Pacific time zone. As you can imagine, there are tons of blog posts for me to catch up on and lots of email . . . not a bad thing as it will provide quiet entertainment in the wee hours of the morning if I can't sleep . . . I can't wait to see what you all have been up to.

41 comments:

Juliann in WA said...

What a wonderful trip you have had. It took me a full week to get back into my own time zone when we went to the UK this summer. I just love the books you got on your trip. An excellent idea for keepsakes.

Linda said...

Oh Libby it sounds like you had the most wonderful time, and what a treat to be able to spend time with your daughter. I do hope you'll share more with us once you've settled back into your regular routine. Don't worry the sleeping pattern won't take too long to come back, one minute you'll be wide awake and the next it'll just hit you like a brick between the eyes....and you'll be in dreamland for hours and hours and hours....lol....

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Holy, moley! I never dreamed that you had traveled so far. What a fantastic adventure you've been on. You've been sorely missed here in blogger-world. I'm happy that you're back and thrilled that you were able to spend precious time with The Princess. Get some rest...

Guðrún said...

Welcome back, I missed you. You must have been up by dawn and to bed at midnight in order to see everything you did at least in London. I understand that it must have been difficult to say good bye to your princess but the memories will warm you.

Linda_J said...

I just knew you had gone somewhere fantastic--maybe to see the Princess--when we didn't see you online for an extended period. Happy Anniversary a little late and good to have you back from all that gallivanting around the continent.

KCQuilter said...

Wow, Libby, what a dream trip! I've been trying to talk my DH into a trip to Paris and Normandy. Last year, when we went to Italy, it took me a full week to get back on my Missouri body clock LOL! A lot of that was due to being up for 24 hours straight on the trip home.

Knot Garden said...

What adventures you've had, sounds like the trip of a lifetime. But I'm glad you're back as well, because I've missed reading your blog!

Wendy said...

Oh my oh my...London, Paris and Germany that's some fantastic trip. How special to be able to visit your daughter and tour Germany with her. The time zone change took me at least a week when we came back from Greece.

We certainly missed you in blogland.

Fiona said...

I was just thinking about you this morning! Sounds like a fabulous trip - wouldn't mind visiting those schloss myself!

kjquilts said...

Welcome home! What a fabulous trip! I don't suppose you checked out any fabric shops while you were there, did you? Try and get some rest now and hopefully you'll be back to your "old" quilty self soon!

Susie said...

Wow! When you two get away you really do it right :)
Sounds like a fantastic trip! You made lots of wonderful memories!
I'm sure one of the best things was visiting your daughter again!!
Welcome home..
xo

yellowfarmhouse said...

WOW - when you take a trip, you take a trip. What a wonderful adventure you had with your hubby. Sounds like you did a great job of getting around and seeing as much as you could. So glad you where able to see your daughter and see how she is living on the other side of the pond. I'm sure it was hard to say good-bye.
Glad to see your back in blogland. Missed reading about what's new in your world.

Hugs - karen

Lucy said...

Welcome Home !! And I can't believe it that you were so close to my country!!!! Good to read that you had a wonderful trip :-)

Colleen Whalen Eskridge said...

I had missed your posts...glad you are back...and from a fabulous holiday to boot!Look forward to more posts and photos of the trip. Colleen

Marcie said...

Welcome home Libby! Glad you had such a wonderful trip and saw your daughter as well!

Hedgehog said...

Sounds like a terrific trip! Love the book covers to go along with your itinerary!

anne bebbington said...

What a whistlestop european tour you took - sounds like you had a ball - the channel tunnel is just brilliant isn't it - I'd never bother with another cross-channel ferry now!

joyce said...

WOW! What a trip! I have been to both London and Paris and don't see how you could have managed so much in such a short time. I'm sure we will be seeing some pictures.pi

CONNIE W said...

All I can think of is "WOW" what a wonderful experience!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you that you had this opportunity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katie said...

Welcome home. Sounds like you had a wonderful time and visit with the Princess too. Looking for lots of pics in future blogs.

Anne Ida said...

Welcome back! Looks like you two really had a wonderful, but intense, vacation - need some time to relax now you are home? *lol*

dee said...

What a wonderful trip you had. I'm lime green with envy. I was born in Germany and am still trying to get back there for a visit. Thanks for the travelog...more please?

Screen Door said...

What memories!!!sounds like you had so much fun!!! I'm glad you're home... Missed you tons...I bet Harper's gettin plenty of TLC

Beth said...

Welcome back and what an exciting adventure! And I'm glad you got to spend time with your daughter. Hope you don't have jet lag too long and are able to get back to your regular routine.

Nancy in MT said...

Welcome home Libby, you've been missed, sounds like a dream trip.

Judy said...

Good to see you home...can't wait to see all the pictures!

Darlene said...

Welcome home, Libby - missed you! What an incredible trip and you got to see The Princess, too.

Again, I missed you!

Carol said...

Welcome back Libby...we sure did miss you...but what a wonderful trip for you all. What a treat to get to spend time with the Princess doing such fun things. Get some rest!

gwen said...

OH, you were here! And we did not meet!? It seems you did do a lot. So many museums and sight-seeing in such a short time. I bet you need some time now to sort out your impressions. Don´t forget to tell us what you liked, disliked, or what surprized you. It is always interesting to hear what outsiders think about one´s home country.Take care.

Erin said...

that is so nice glad you had time with your daughter and Happy 25th! get some rest now, hope you treasure the memories!

Dawn said...

Wheh! I'm tired just thinking about it! Can't wait until your settle again!

Jeanne said...

Libby, it must have been so wonderful seeing all of the great sights in London and Europe. We spent time in Heidelberg and Frankfurt, but would love to see more someday. It sounds like you took the kind of vacation that we do - coming home more tired than when you left. But oh, the memories! Welcome home!

atet said...

What a wonderful trip you had! So many places to see, foods to eat, and to see the princess too? Wonderful!

Clare said...

Holy macaroni - did you pack it all in or what! You'll need a holiday to get over your holiday. Looking forward to seeing photos.

Yvonne said...

Wow Libby....what an awesome vacation. Glad you got to spend time with your daughter too. Welcome home!

Tracey said...

...how did you keep up that pace? did you work-out, non-stop, for weeks beforehand?!? mercy, girl! sounds like it was fun, fun, fun though! :o)

tracey
www.theehandworks.typepad.com

Shelina said...

Happy anniversary Libby, and welcome back. What a beautiful anniversary quilt! My sister pointed out 11:11 to me - that's when we returned from visiting my daughter, so we are in sync with you.

Your trip sounds wonderful - I am glad you had a chance to spend time with your daughter. I've been to a lot of the places you visited - but we did it at blur speed too, so I really couldn't tell you for sure. The names sound familiar though!

McIrish Annie said...

what a great way to celebrate your anniversary!! Sounds like a whirlwind tour through London and Paris.

Kairle said...

Oh, my...what an exquisite vacation! I went to Europe when I was 5, but that's way too young to remember much about the trip. :-(

Chris said...

Welcome back and sounds like a great trip, especially the croissant in France!

Carole said...

Oh Libby, qu'elle voyage magnifique! Being able to see your Princess, it doesn't get any better. Will you be posting some travel pictures? One day I shall make it off this continent! Prince Edward Island doesn't count! lol Thank you for sharing!