Sunday, October 14, 2007

I have to admit your comments on my previous post sure did make me smile . . . you see, I have fallen victim to some ambitious vacation photographers. Where the stacks of pics let you know there was nary a moment of the trip left undocumented. This has left me a little shy of being labeled an 'oversharer' myself. But your enthusiasm encourages me to share with you the next leg of our recent trip . . . Paris.
This is a photo looking at the front of Notre Dame. What an amazing building - so many details. I wonder how long it would take to see every bit of detail and nuance from top to bottom and front to back. Just looking at the pictures, I see something new each time. Now that I've been in person, I feel I must read Victor Hugo's novel The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I will be able to put myself right there with Esmeralda and Quasimodo.

Here is a far off view of the Eiffel Tower. It certainly is impressively large. Seeing it in the distance was my first peek.
Then we got right to the heart of the matter. This is looking straight up under the base. The balloon you see is advertising the Rugby World Cup matches that were (are) taking place.

The Paris Opera House - another imposing yet beautiful building. It is the setting for Victor Hugo's Phantom Of The Opera. A story I enjoy very much. I've read the book and seen the Andrew Lloyd Weber musical several times not to mention one or two of the numerous movie adaptations that are out there. The beauty and size of the building were far more than my mind could imagine. At the Musee d'Orsay there was a wonderful display dedicated to the Opera house with a scale model showing a cross section of the interior. We learned that the main stage can hold up to 450 performers. The only word that comes to mind is - vast.Here is another floor photo. This one is from The Louvre. Yes, we saw the Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, Winged Victory of Samothrace and many other beautiful works of art. Yet, I couldn't help myself when it came to seeing quilt patterns in the floors everywhere I went.
Our time in Paris was quite short, only two full days and one partial day. Again we saw a lot in the limited time we had. Next up, Germany.
On the quilting front, I finished up the applique piece I started earlier in the week. It is now gracing a pillow on the couch. I like the idea of making seasonal pillow slip covers for the sofa pillows . . . easy on- easy off and they won't take up as much storage room when not in use.
I shared this wall hanging last fall, but decided to show it again. I finally got around to adding a hanging sleeve this afternoon. The piece is just a smidgen narrow for the spot I wanted to hang it allowing part of the dowel and hanging hardware to show. I think I solved that problem nicely by digging out this garland of silk fall flowers. With careful tucking around the edges, most of the hanging works are camouflaged. Now all of the fall decorations are up indoors. The weather seems to have cooled down enough that I feel comfortable buying pumpkins for the porch. Ahhhh . . . fall

19 comments:

Susie said...

Love your Paris photos! Phantom is one of my favorites and I'm sure the opera house was truly something to see.
I love how you've placed the fall leaf garland around your quilt. It looks perfect for fall!
xo

Dawn said...

Oh I love all those pictures! I probably will never see Paris so I"m always loving yours and Tonya's pics! My favorite one has to be that star in the floor! The wood alone is gorgeous! I had forgotten about your lady scarecrow's! I LOVE it! I"m glad you posted the pic again!

Katie said...

Ah, Paris. Great Pics. I was there 23 years ago and again in 2000. Brought back memories. This was before my digital camera so I need to look for my pics. Nice to visit but so many people when I was there the last time. I really loved the countryside. Did you get to see Normandy? I'd love to go there again. What is the title of your wall quilt? How about "Dancing In The Leaves"? So much fun!

Kathie said...

Libby
have enjoyed your trip photos...someday I hope to visit Paris too.
Love the scarecrow wall hanging, can you tell us the pattern you used, they are just perfect for the fall...so whimsical
putting the garland around it was genius!
thanks
Kathie in NJ

anne bebbington said...

That garland of autumn leaves is an inspired addition to your autumn scarecrow wallhanging - thanks for sharing Paris with us - I'm just across the channel and lived in France for 6 months but never got there - DH has been so doesn't seem bothered about returning, says there are lots of other places he'd like to see first - never mind maybe I'll get there once we finish paying for our three to go through university - somewhere in the dim and distant future :o)

Screen Door said...

Looks lke you had the time of your life!!! I love the pillow... you can't help but smile when you see it... what is it with pumpkins??? I think the leaves are perfect with the scarecrows. Looks like you are set for the season...

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

I have absolutely no problem with seeing these great photos, I've been to London but this is the closest I will probably get to the rest.
That was quite an Anniversary trip!
Your fall quilts look great, love your 4 seasons and enjoyed that fun mail!! lol Tracey

Bren said...

Great vacation photos. I love the quilt patterns in floors. You do not find them in the US as much. I love how you used the leaf garland around you wallhanging.

paula, the quilter said...

Now I understand how the Phantom could hide out in the opera house! I am always looking down at the floor in older buildings and finding quilt patterns. Look up too! Some of those old tin ceilings are flat out amazing.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Slip covering pillows is such a great way to save on storage! Yours is just great!

Marcie said...

How neat to visit places you are familiar with from stories, etc. Cute Halloween stuff!

Judy said...

Hey I was hoping for more England pics so you aren't in any risk of over sharing according to me! I love to see places I may never get to myself in person. Very neat shots! Share away!

The scarecrow gals are very cute. I still haven't decorated for fall but the windows open this past weekend put me in the mood for it. Hubby is off all next week and Saturday is the day to get it all up!

gwen said...

I saw very nice patchwork pattern at the opera too! The person who showed us back stage also showed us the artificial water lake (just like in the Phantom!), it was just great. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the short visit to my home country. I can recommend Emile Zola to read great novels about Paris too.
The silk leaves around your quilt are perfect. You had planned to put them there from the beginning, hadn´t you?! Take care.

LBP said...

I love your Paris pictures!

The scarecrow wall hanging is just wonderful! I really like that.

Blessings

Linda

Jeanne said...

Thank you for sharing the photos from Paris. I can only dream!

dee said...

As always your work is so lovely. The garland really looks like it was meant for the little quilt.
Really enjoying your pictures-that shot from the bottom of the tower is wonderful.

Guðrún said...

I have never been to Paris, I have heard that the Louvre is so BIG, and it takes a lot of time just to walk to see Mona Lisa.

Carole said...

Oh, I enjoy reading about your trip. It's the next best thing to being there! ;o) Beautiful pillow cover and wallhaging! I do love primitive! Thanks for sharing!

Colleen Eskridge said...

Love the Paris photos...and the OPERA HOUSE....wow. Would so love to see that someday.Thanks for sharing those and the floors! Again how pretty? I loved the pillow too. Colleen