Thursday, October 18, 2007

*editorial note* This is about my car . . . Harper is fine and as cute as can be.

It can be hard to say farewell . . . particularly for me. You see, I become very attached and want to keep the people and things I love close to me always. So after lots of back and forth inside my head, much research on the Internet, 14+ years and 185,283 miles - I had to say goodbye to my beloved Jeep on Saturday.
It was a day that I knew, in my heart of hearts, would come. It just came much sooner than I anticipated. I had hoped we would be together for 500,000 miles, but in recent months it was becoming more and more clear that was not to be the case. Finally last week I came to the realization that the time had come to let go. We had crossed the line from dealing with little quirks to safety issues for me as well as the other people on the road.
Saturday morning I went out to the garage, cleaned out all the personal items, and with tears in my eyes said goodbye. I left a penny in the ashtray for good luck and made a wish that my trusty friend would perhaps become an organ donor for another Jeep with a few miles still left in it. The only picture I could find to share with you features Harper far more prominently than the Jeep.

One last scenic drive along the beach and off to the dealership we went. By early afternoon we were home with a shiny new Honda Ridgeline. The biggest hurdle so far has been to rearrange the things stored in the garage in order to accommodate the longer length. Hopefully it will be another 14 or more years before I'm saying farewell again.
On the quilting front, I'm still working my way through the pages of Prairie Children and Their Quilts. The signature quilt is now quilted, bound and washed. Look carefully and you can see my very first feathers. I drew double straight spines with a ruler and the feathers are drawn in free-hand.

I'm almost done quilting the next quilt - Broken Dishes, from the same book. I chickened out and used a pre-cut stencil to make Baptist Fans. I'm not terribly excited about the way they fit. Lesson learned . . . next time I will draw them myself to achieve the spacing and look I want.
Last week at my local quilt shop, I picked up (on sale *s*) a fat quarter pack of the prints from Vintage Reserve by Minick and Simpson. I bought and have partially used the wovens from the line when it first came out. Combining all that coordinating fabric, I've begun working on A Penny Saved - a pattern in the current issue of Fons and Porter. I need another project that is mostly hand work like I need a hole in the head, but there was no way I could resist either the fabrics or the quilt. I'll just plug away a little at a time on each and before I know they will all be done.

15 comments:

Beth said...

Oh my gosh, the beginning of your post scared the heck out of me, I thought something happened to Harper! Thank goodness it was about your car! Whew! I know what you mean about parting with a car though. I had a Honda Prelude that I had over 200,000 miles on, and it was hard parting with it. But it was time when I did. Well, you'll like your Honda, they are good cars, I have had several of them, even though I think my next one will be a Toyota.

I love all the little quilts that you are making from that book. I keep looking at it online and thinking about ordering it, but I'm on the fence, do you recommend it? You sure have made a lot of quilts from it.

Screen Door said...

Yep -- Give me CPR too -- I thought it was Harper.... I can deal with the Jeep now... you scared me... The longer length will mean more room for fabric.

Guðrún said...

You should be glad to get a new car, I love to change cars! Your feathers look great.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

I don't really mind changing cars, I do mind paying for a new one though LOL, so I tend to keep mine a long time too! I am sure you will get to know and love your new one!

As far as starting an other project knowing you don't need one started.. We all seem to do it LOL, there is just something about starting something new :O)!

Wendy said...

A new car...I would be so excited.

The signature quilt turned out wonderful. I look forward to the broken dishes reveal.

paula, the quilter said...

I seem to get the kind of cars that when repairs start costing me about $500 a pop I need to trade them in. For me that's about every 4-5 years. Revel in that new car smell!

Darlene said...

I'm truly glad to read that Harper is just fine - whew!!! :-)

I understand how you feel about having to part with your Jeep. I've been driving my Rodeo for over 9 years and almost parted with it in July and just couldn't do it. I'm very attached to this vehicle.

Love, love all the prairie quilts. It's obvious that you're having fun.

atet said...

I can understand about the car thing -- I get attached to mine too. You don't want to know what I was like when I had to sell my last car (but well, it was a 2 seater and I was pregnant -- not like I had a choice there).

I'm enjoying seeing your vacation photos -- what great things you saw! And all of the new quilts and projects are fantastic!

KCQuilter said...

I'm the same way--about getting attached to people and things. If you were a Gilmore Girls fan, you might remember the episode where Lorelei has to give up her Jeep Wrangler--one of my favorite episodes, 'specially the way Luke solves the problem. So loving your doll quilts. What a great idea to do all the ones in the book!

Sweet P said...

I am so with you on the pain of giving up a car. I'm about to give up my 97 Grand Am that I bought with only 8 miles on it and it now has 160,000. It's time to donate it and I just can't let go. At least we have a new Dodge Caliber.

Your little quilt is adorable. I really should start making more of those little quilts.

Bren said...

My mother recently got rid of her car and had a difficult time...I don't get attached to cars. My house, I had a hard time with even though I was getting a nicer one.
I LOVE the Fons and Porter quilt you have started. Can't wait to see it. I hope you will show "progress" pics of it!

gwen said...

A brand new car and a brand new project, how fitting! The doll quilt is so lovely and all that hand-quilting makes it really look already old and well-loved! I am curious too to see pictures of the new projects with the beautiful fabrics. Take care.

Nancy in MT said...

Libby, I'm touched that you are going to make my Penny Saved, when I made it, I made all the circles first, appliqueing the smaller to the next size and then again, then I pinned them to the walls, needed several walls for all the circles until I got the look I wanted with as many different fabrics I had. Can't wait to see your progress.

Marcie said...

Sorry about your car, happy about your dog. Love the little quilt! You are zipping along!

Patti said...

After reading your posts - and those of others - about this book I decided I had to have it even though I have so many others. I'm really glad I did. It's a beautifully done book. No wonder you are making each quilt in it - I'd love to do that also.