Thursday, October 25, 2007

Thanks to each and every one who sent such kind and encouraging words concerning the terrible fires that have been burning this past week in southern California. The fires continue to burn but the upper-hand is being gained and many people are beginning to return to a normal daily routine while for others the devastation has only begun. I'm so proud of my community and the way they have rallied to help one another. I hope this neighborly feeling will continue while those most affected rebuild their homes and their lives.
Even here on the edge of the fire area, we can see the remants all around. The sky is gray and the sunlight a filtered orange tone. The smell outside is like being at the bottom of the fireplace and everything is coated with ash. I took this picture of my very confused and out-of-season narcissus two days ago. Yes, they are blooming in October . . . again. They look a bit dry and crispy around the edges. If you look closely, you can see the ash beginning to accumulate on the petals.Everyone in the county that was not evacuated was asked to stay indoors in order to keep the roads clear for those who needed to escape and for firefighters to move freely. It was certainly no pleasure to be outside. So I monitored the news and appliqued. I got a great start on the circles for A Penny Saved that I began last week. Just about 1/3 are ready to applique to the background.
But that means there are still 60 more sets to go.
Today I was beginning to tire of the handwork and decided an afternoon session at the sewing machine would be just what the doctor ordered. Using a lovely pattern provided by Marcie from her webstore Patchalotpatterns.com. I started making this darling little Christmas table topper she shared on her blog last week.
Okay, so I didn't start one . . . I started two. I thought it would make a nice gift for the gal that cuts and colors my hair. But I knew I was going to really like it and want one for myself. There's never any harm in making extra.

16 comments:

Quilt Memories said...

Glad you are not in harms way, just got back from our month long trip and trying to catch up on all my emails and reading my favorite blogs.Will keep everyone in my prayers.
The quilt blocks are great, and I am sure your hairdresser will really appreciate them.
take care. Hugs from N.C.

Screen Door said...

This is going to be great-- Love the "primitive colors". It's a contrast to Mracie's "brights". Looking forward to seeing your piece.

Dawn said...

I love the darker colors you are using! And I can't believe how far you have gotten on your pennies! As you can tell I"m so busy I'm not keeping up too much these days!

Stephanie said...

I didn't know where you lived, but I am glad to see you aren't in the midst of all that destruction. Poor little narcissus!
Will be waiting to see what you do with the country colors of her pattern. Like it so far!

Angie said...

I'm so glad that you are safe, Libby. I've had all of you in Sunny CA on my mind (and TV) for the last several days. I love the 'pennies'--your colors are just awesome--and your pattern from Marcie is going to be perfect for Christmas! Isn't Marcie just the most fun person, and I love her patterns. :) The quilt that you have your projects laying on is wonderful too, girlfriend! :) On the flower front---can you believe how 'confused' all of our flowers are now. The environment is changing in a hurry.

Bren said...

Praying you will continue to be safe.
Your penny's look wonderful. Your choices of colors/fabrics always thrill me. I am feeling the need to make a table runner.

McIrish Annie said...

I've started to do the same thing when I start a project, one for someone special and one for me!!

Susie said...

Staying indoors in no fun, but I bet the air quality outside is just awful.
So glad all is OK with you..
A nice rainstorm would sure be welcome right now, wouldn't it!
((hugs))

katelnorth said...

Glad to hear you are ok - my SD family is in Ocean Beach... Believe it or not, I am due to fly to SD in two weeks' time so I have been watching anxiously. Hope you stay safe!

ROZ said...

I'm hoping to see what the "Penny saved" quilt will look like. Good colors. I've been staying at home as much as possible, the smoke here is awful.

dot said...

Good to hear you are okay. I like the pattern from Patchalot and I plan to make it as soon as I get other things done. I look forward to seeing your penny quilt.

Guðrún said...

I am glad to hear that you are ok, we have been watching the fire in our news here in Iceland.

Katie said...

Whether kept inside due to falling ash, rain, or snow, it makes a good time to sew. Glad you are safe. Hope everyone gets help.

Marcie said...

I am so excited to see the Libby twist on my little tree pattern! Maybe I need to make one like yours now! I am glad that you are safe in the midst of the fire, smoke and confusion. Stand strong! Hugs from me!

Judy said...

Well the first repose went poof...so again...LOVE the trees, the background is so yummy! No store around here would dare carry that sort of lovely golden brown with red stars much to my dismay. The circles are coming along very well! Glad you are okay and safe from the fires.

Finn said...

All your quilty things are lookin' good! Love the colors you picked for the tree table topper...very unique choices *VBS* Hugs, Finn