Saturday, October 27, 2007

While the fires are not out yet, they are on the way to being contained, controlled and extinguished. With a nice layer of fog to add a little humidity back in the air, it seemed like a good time to begin getting back to normal yesterday. First thing was to hose down the patio, outdoor furniture and sidewalks to settle the ash before the parade of gardeners arrived in our neighborhood armed with blowers to stir everything up.
Then I came inside and tried to think up ways to remove some of the smoky smell from inside. Baking always makes the house smell so good . . . bread seemed like just the thing. Not only does it smell wonderful while it's baking, but I just love standing at the counter kneading the dough. It always makes me smile.
Also a couple of strategically placed candles around the living room. These soy candles from Lehman's just smell delicious. I need to remember to add them to my Christmas wish list. It will take some time to completely air everything out, but until the fresh air returns these things will sure help.
Look what we found on the patio this morning. RAIN DROPS! I sure didn't believe it was possible that we would have rain at this time of year. Surely not enough to put out fires, but every positive change in weather is welcome relief.
Hubby did have a chance to get Harper for a short walk before we went on 'rainy day protocol.' She has been such a good girl this week, what with being virtually captive in the house. Just when things were looking up for her. While Harper wondered if she might ever be allowed free rein to go outside, I spent the day finishing the little quilt I started from Marcie's pattern at Patchalotpatterns.com. Marcie designed this little table topper with four different border options and made the instructions available free at her website. Thank you Marcie . . . what a lot of fun.

I did put my own little 'stamp' of on the inner border. Armed with a second set of trees and a pile of hst's, I plan on making that second one to give as a gift. It is quite easy to put together. Pop on over to Marcie's, say 'Hi,' and try one out for yourself.

26 comments:

tami said...

That bread looks so yummy. I don't think there is anything that beats the smell of fresh baked bread.
Very cute little table topper. Great job.

joyce said...

I make bread all the time and enjoy the kneading too. People ask why I don't get a bread machine but that eliminates the fun part!
Cute table topper.

Screen Door said...

The bread looks delicious. I love the Christmas tree quilt. I love the way your "color-twist" gives it a totally different look.

Vicki W said...

That's an adorable little quilt! I especially love the border.

KCQuilter said...

Love how you primmed up the darling quilt from Marcie!!! I have downloaded the pattern and it is "on the list"!

paula, the quilter said...

I downloaded Marcie's pattern, but don't have time to make it just yet. I wish I could 'do' candles, but they are usually scented so strongly that I go into a major allergy attack. I boil water with cinnamon in it and back bread. I've had to switch to a bread machine to knead my bread because of weak hands (due to surgeries).

Angie said...

Yum, I can smell that bread and apple jack candle all the way across the country, Libby!! Yummmy! :) I'm so thankful that the fires are finally being brought under control, and that the weather is cooperating. Keeping you S. Cal's in my heart.

Angie said...

Yum, I can smell that bread and apple jack candle all the way across the country, Libby!! Yummmy! :) I'm so thankful that the fires are finally being brought under control, and that the weather is cooperating. Keeping you S. Cal's in my heart. And I adore you Patchalot tree topper!! Marcie is just a super designer. I do have that pattern laid out waiting for me to start cutting. :)

Carol said...

Smells yummy from your house to my house. YIPPEE! some rain for you. Your Christmas table topper is so cute!

dot said...

Very nice. I am going to try one of these little quilts. Maybe today.

Marcie said...

Oh how delightful! Fresh baking bread, lovely scented candle and my quilt design done up Libby style! I'm busting my buttons! So glad you are well and the smoke and fire is under control. Hugs from me!

Erin Bennett said...

Oh I love the table topper! Now the bread looks delicious, and the candle smells so good! I am glad you had raindrops! I am keeping all the southern Cal people in my prayers!

Judy said...

You might have changed my mind a bit on the border...I was leaning towards the green one, but the candy cane look good too. Very cool, nice job!

Wendy said...

There's nothing like the smell of fresh bread. Cinnamon buns are my weakness.

Thanks for the link to the cute tree table topper, that one has made in on my list.

Finn said...

Hi Libby, your topper turned out wonderfully! I love your 'spin' on it *VBS*
And I must say, that bread does look yummy! Mind if I drop in for a fresh slice?? *VBS*
I'll check out that candle link..it looks intriguing *S* Take care, hugs for Harper, she's been sooo good, Finn

Knot Garden said...

I'm glad things are starting to get back to normal. Love the table topper with that diagonal pieced border.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Your little quilt is so pretty!!!

It is about time for making bread isn't it! Soup and Bread are just the best in the fall and winter!

Diane said...

So glad you weren't directly affected by the California fires. Your Christmas tree quilt is cute. What a great candy cane border.

Susie said...

In the paper I read of a few rain showers predicated for down south. They can only help the air quality!
That bread and yummy candle had to make the inside smell very homey!!
Love you cute quilt!
xo

Dawn said...

Your tree table topper is so cute! And I love that Libby touch you gave it!

Shelina said...

Libby, I have enjoyed your vacation pictures, and am so glad that that the fires stayed out of your way. You have been busy - a bullseye quilt has been on my list of things to do for a long time. I even have the CD ready that I will use as one of the templates. I really just get to that. Then your tree piece looks so wonderful that I'm thinking I need to add that to the list. And the bread making.

Jeanne said...

Mmmm. The bread looks so good. I love the smell of baking bread and the taste of eating it. Your table topper is really cute. I want to try Marcie's pattern, too.

quiltteacher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
katelnorth said...

It always take so long to get the smell of smoke out of things, but at least the fires are dying down. Nice little tree quilt, though I think I might be one of those people who prefer the plain inner border...

Guðrún said...

Isn´t it difficult to get the smell out of the house? I am glad life is getting back to normal.

Amanda said...

I love the table top trees! Thanks for sharing Marcie's website so we can make one, too!

I love your blog!