Monday, November 05, 2007

Gosh time flies. I can't believe it's been nearly a week since my last post. I've been keeping plenty busy.
Over the weekend, Hubby and I did a serious deep cleaning. Saturday we were greeted with clear, sunny skies - prompting us to start taking all the furnishings from the entry, living and dining room outside. The rugs were rolled up and taken out for a bit of fresh air. Baseboards were dusted and cleaned, those insidious cobwebs that get in the highest (unreachable) corners were knocked down, all the floors were swept, swiffered, vacuumed and steam cleaned. By late afternoon we were ready to bring everything back indoors.
Sunday morning brought a nice marine layer of fog - a perfect day for window cleaning. Hubby cleaned all the windows, sills and tracks, and the screens, too. Now we can settle in for the rest of fall and winter feeling tidy and cozy. It's good feeling.
I've been working on the applique circles for A Penny Saved. I laid them out on the background just to get an idea of how they are going to look. I knew this was a quilt for me when I first saw it - but I can now see that I'm really going to love it. I'm glad I chose needleturn rather than fusing. There will just be an touch of dimension that wouldn't happen with the iron on. I now have more than half of the pennies made. I wonder how long it will take to stitch them on the background?
With the burst of cleaning industry that began on Saturday morning, it wasn't until late Sunday afternoon that Hubby and Harper made a trip to the mailbox. Imagine my excitement to find there was a surprise envelope for me among the bills and junk. Paula - The Quilter came across this delicious Blackbird Designs book among her things and thought 'it was screaming my name.' So she dropped it in the mail.

I remember when this book first came out. I knew I would enjoy it, but avoided actually opening it because I didn't need to add another thing to my ever growing list of quilts to make. Well, I was right - I do love it! I will definitely make time for the projects inside. I'm saving that card, too. I do think I need a quilt just like that!
Hopefully in the next day or so I'll have a couple of finishes to share. I quilted my second tree table topper from Marcie's pattern and just need to get the binding stitched on. I haven't forgotten about Prairie Children and Their Quilts. I have finished quilting Broken Dishes on Friday. Once I get the binding stitched down and the quilt markings washed out, I'll get a picture posted. I hope to start piecing the next top - Bear Paw this afternoon.

24 comments:

Screen Door said...

I've ached for that books-- Lucky Dog....What a great thing to have 'screaming your name'......

ROZ said...

So, this is all needleturn applique on a cotton background? Outstanding! I think I should give it a thought, maybe I would make different sized circles? I love the colors you selected. Great!

Dawn said...

Oh Libby! Penny is just wonderful! I love the background fabric you are using for it! It is perfect for the look! Yup, it is a Libby Quilt!

paula, the quilter said...

I knew I picked the right card! When I worked at Big Corporate people would give me boxed quilt cards for special occasions. I retired from there 5 years ago and I'm still using the cards. Just shows how many I have! Glad you like the gift.

Dawn said...

Bummers.... I just sent you a pic and your mailbox is full....

Diane said...

Man, you've been busy! I love the pennies.

Karen said...

All that wonderful cleaning, good for you! The penny quilt is wonderful, so pretty. I have that book and LOVE everything in it.

Judy said...

All very cool...wanna come clean my house??

Wendy said...

It's nice to know all the cob webs are cleaned up.

Enjoy your new book, it's a very thoughtful gift.

Erin said...

very nice book! love the Penny quilt too!

Fiona said...

The quilt is very 'you' and what a satisfying feeling to have got the cleaning done.

Hedgehog said...

You've been busy! Love those pennies!

Perry said...

This is going to be a beautiful quilt. Very rich looking.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Lucky you, clean house and all! The penny quilt is gorgeous, and your table-topper divine!! Well done.

Carol said...

How wonderful to have a spic and span house to settle into for the winter. Now you can just sew. Love your pennies.

Darlene said...

What a fabulous surprise to find in your mail. WooHoo! :-)

Your Penny quilt is looking incredibly fabulous - it definitely says "Libby" loud and clear.

A busy week end for you and your hubby! Whew - I'm tired. LOL

Katie said...

Love the penny! So fun to look at each one. Needle turn would be my choice too. Enjoy!

Susie said...

My goodness you've been ambitious with all that cleaning! We have several major jobs to accomplish before our Thanksgiving day gathering here..
xo

gwen said...

Could you ask your DH to come over here and clean my windows (I hate the job)! Pleaeaease! The Penny Quilt will look stunning. The background with the stars in a grid is just perfect. Nice of Paula to send you such a wonderful book. Take care.

Guðrún said...

When I saw the picture on the card I also thought that you would need to do a quilt like that, tiny scrappy pieces, exactly you.

Marcie said...

I am breathless just reading your blog and all you are getting done. Love the pennies! And what a nice gift-any BBD book is great!

Patti said...

What a nice gift for you! That is one of my favorite quilts - I loved every minute of making it.

Chris said...

Not many people do needle turn anymore. I love doing it and find it relaxing. Love that penny quilt!

Carole said...

Oh Libby! The penny quilt is lovely! You have such a way with colours! It's beautiful! What a sweet gift from Paula! I cannot wait to see what project you make from the book! Keep well!