Monday, November 19, 2007

It was a morning spent in the kitchen. I needed to keep myself busy and out of the way today. We are having new floors installed in both bathrooms this week. Maybe the days leading up to Thanksgiving aren't the most optimal to take on such a task . . . but we have been needing to do this for some time. Once we decided to get off the fence - we landed with both feet and dove right in to the project. The master bathroom is getting flooring only. But the other is getting new paint, vanity, sink and accessories (shower curtain, rug, etc.) - a complete and much needed makeover.
So I fired up the oven. Baking always puts a smile on my face. First I roasted a butternut squash. I think I will use it to make soup for tonight's dinner.Then I made a couple of loaves of bread. One for eating and one will become stuffing for the turkey. Then I'll need to make more for all the sandwiches I plan to eat starting Friday . . . yum.
Last but not least - pumpkin scones. We will be having apple pie for our Thanksgiving dessert, yet I feel obligated to keep some semblance of tradition by serving pumpkin in one form or another.
The recipe is from Buttermilk Cookbook: The Rest of the Carton. I stumbled across it at an outlet store several years ago and enjoy it very much. My mom was originally from the south, so I was raised on buttermilk. Grandma not only used it in the kitchen but as part of her beauty regimen claiming that buttermilk bleached freckles. I buy and use it regularly to make pancakes, waffles and biscuits, I use it to make Ranch salad dressing, I use it to batter fish, and *gasp* I drink it - yes, I do! And I like it! Neither Hubby nor The Princess will touch a glass of buttermilk with a 10 foot pole - making the cookbook a useful resource . . . one that I use often.
Buttermilk is a little old-fashioned, not the glamor queen of the dairy case, just plain and reliable - kind of like me.

24 comments:

Nicole said...

Buttermilk is indeed a secret ingredient! Your day in the kitchen sounds well spent.

Darlene said...

A wonderful day, indeed!

Jeanne said...

It all looks delicious! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Marilyn R said...

The scones sound and look delicious! What a nice way to include pumkin in your Thanksgiving celebration.

Perry said...

Buttermilk is good for lots of things no one realizes. Like soaking chicken in it before you fry it. Try it, you'll like it. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

dee said...

People often ask me for my recipe for raisin scones-it's the buttermilk and an Amish recipe Ihave from many years ago. Everything looks so good at your house. The only thing I miss about eating at our frineds house is the leftovers and the lovely smell of turkey and pie cooking-to that end, we are doing it all over on the weekend just for us. Can't live without the turkey sammiches!

Berglind said...

Looks delicious, where did you get the bread loaf recipe, they look so good. I love buttermilk like you and I too like to drink it :)

Screen Door said...

I'm A buttermilk girl!!! Works great in frying chicken.. dip it in buttermilk , then flour. You'll love the bathroom when it's complete- keep your eyes on the touchdown at the end...

Screen Door said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Calico Cat said...

You have to share the roasted butternut squash recipe - starting with the roatsing instructions.

tami said...

Yummy. Great day spent in the kitchen. I'm working on breads today for our Thanksgiving. I found a cranberry oat recipe I'm going to make to jazz up those after Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches.

Katie said...

My buttermilk memories include buying a quart when I needed a cup to bake with. Hubby loved to drink the rest. He grew up in Arkansas. My mother also drink it and she was from Michigan. The squash looks so good. My favorite, too.

Judy said...

Milk..eww! Buttermilk..eewwwww! You and my grandma can have it.*G* It all looks yummy! Did you bake the bread in pans? It looks rounded to me.

Dawn said...

Just send that squash and bread to me - I could make a meal of just those 2!

Wendy said...

Looks like some delicious food will be happening this week. Enjoy and have a good holiday.

paula, the quilter said...

OK, I'm a buttermilk drinker too! Just love the stuff. I'm starting my Thanksgiving cooking tonight after work.

Beth said...

Wow, all that looks yummy! I love butternut squash. I use buttermilk occasionally in cooking, but I refuse to drink it. My mom likes it and so does my husband. Yuck!

kjquilts said...

I love to use buttermilk to cook with too! If I see a recipe that has buttermilk in it I know it is going to be a good one. However, I would never drink it! LOL! I'm a southern girl too and I remember the older folks crumbling their cornbread in buttermilk for dessert!

Yvonne said...

I've never cooked with buttermilk...will have to try it. Everything looks wonderful...a day of baking is indeed a good thing. :)

atet said...

I LOVE using buttermilk for my waffle recipe (ok, so it's Alton Brown's recipe, but still...). Good luck with the renovations!

Quilt Memories said...

Buttermilk, YUMMIE! I too like to drink b-milk. Everything looks yummie, Am going to start cooking tomorrow am.Will only be 8 of us here, so not a very big gathering, but will be fun.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
PS. My daughter wants to make the desserts, so don't know what we are going to have, but she is a realllllly good cook, so am sure whatever she makes will be eaten and enjoyed!

Angie said...

I'm a buttermilk gal, too. :) I don't like to drink it, but about everyone else in my family does, and they've been known to put leftover cornbread in it too. :) That bread looks soooo scrumptious!! Is it a recipe that you can share? The scones also look wonderful!

yellowfarmhouse said...

Those scones sound wonderful. I'm a big fan of just about anykind of scone. Your day was well spent and you can enjoy some delicious goodies during the weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving - Kanre

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

That all looks yummy Libby. Havent' had pumpkins scones for ages. I am cooking some Brownies this afternoon - very American!