Wednesday, November 07, 2007


Over the last week or so, I have seen many of you sharing the quilts that are on your bed. It has been fun to see how everyone uses the quilts that they make. I decided I wanted to play along. Then I was tagged by May Britt of Abyquilt to share how I came to crafts and quilt making by answering five questions, they seem to go hand in hand so I just decided to put it all in one post.

1. When did you start to make and create crafts?

I remember first making clothes for Troll dolls out of Kleenex. Since I wasn't allowed to play with scissors or dexterous enough to thread a needle, Kleenex was a perfect textile. I could tear head and arm holes and make endless new outfits.
My grandma was an excellent seamstress - she made her living tailoring uniforms during WWII. Later she did a lot of embroidery and applique on items sold at the annual church bazaar. She taught me basic embroidery stitches and showed me how to do cross stitch on gingham.
2. Why did you start creating?

I was always curious - and quite talkative - Grandma must have decided the only way to get anything done herself was to get me busy working on my own project. I do remember her frustration at my ability to unthread a needle faster than you can blink an eye. It was a proud and happy moment for the both of us when I could re-thread it myself.

This is one of my very first pieces - a potholder featuring the lazy daisy stitch. I use this potholder often.3. Why do you create?

I love to keep my hands busy . . . I always have. Also, I enjoy making gifts. The saying: "What I make with my hands, I give with my heart," must have been coined for me. Having things that I have made throughout my home is a joy. I love when I see everyone cuddled under a quilt. They may not realize it, but they are wrapped in hugs from me.

4. What do you create?

Over the years, I have dabbled in many things. Starting with simple embroidery, I worked my way through crewel and needlepoint. I tried my hand at macrame then moved on to counted cross stitch with a brief try at latch hook rugs. I dabbled a little with candle making - even going so far as to make a presentation for a high school speech project. In the 80's, I thought tole painting would be a fun thing to try on for size, but was too chicken to take a class until the mid-90's. Those classes led me to quilting and I couldn't be happier.

This is my first pieced quilt. There are a lot of problems with this quilt - the piecing is terrible (I had no idea what a 1/4" seam was.) I used the stiffest fusible I could find to hold the flowers in place - I didn't want them to move. . . and the won't. I had no idea how to accomplish a binding, so I made an envelope and turned it. Left the opening far too small for turning and stretched the heck out it. Operating under the theory that quilts should be comfy, I used the highest loft polyester batting I could find. And armed with a lifetime of embroidery skill, put the whole thing into an embroidery hoop - tight as a drum - and stab stitched my way through the quilting. I loved every minute of the process and have never looked back.
5. What do you create?

I hope what I create is a home that is filled with things made by my hand and touched by my heart. I want it to be a home with the aroma of a good meal, the sound of laughter, and love all around . . . a warm, safe place that family and friends want to be.

I'd love to know how each of you came to crafting and quilting - so I won't specifically tag anyone . . . just jump right in and play along.

23 comments:

CONNIE W said...

Enjoyed reading your post. I just did this same meme last evening. Reading yours reminded me that I also dabbled in macrame and tole painting but had forgotten so didn't mention them in my post. I also enjoyed reading Monday's post about the house cleaning. The way it is written makes me want to jump in and clean too!

Finn said...

Hi Libby, what a fun post! Love the quilt on your bed..*VBS* I've just posted pretty much the same thing...LOL. Wish I could remember whose blog I saw the Red Radio Flyer on!
I thought I bookmarked it, but can't find that either...LOL...oh well.
Loved hearing your 'story' of stitching. Reads pretty much like mine..except NO tole painting. Hurray for the clean house..do you two hire out???? Hugs, Finn

May Britt said...

Thanks for playing this. It is so fun reading how others started their quilting.

Beth said...

Love the quilt on your bed but especially the little painting over the bed, such cuteness! You do such gorgeous work, I wish I could get done just half of what you accomplish!

gwen said...

What a journey between the first quilt and the Penny top! It was a fun read, thanks for sharing. I made my first quilt much like you did yours plus I put some fleece at the back as I wanted it really warm. It is in fact very, very warm!
Your bedroom looks gorgeous with all the country decoration. Take care.

Carole said...

Beautiful! I love to learn more about what makes you Libby! ;o) Your post reminded me of my horrific first quilt! I've tried bribbing my dad into giving it back to me so that I could destroy it, but he loves it and wants nothing to do with giving it back! Thank you for sharing your story!

kjquilts said...

I love the quilt on your bed! I also love the other quilted decorations in your bedroom. The hand painted canvas over your bed is so cute!!!

Darlene said...

It was fun to read and learn more about you!

Dawn said...

Isn't it fun when we look back at our first quilts and what we did to make them! I love the picture of your grandma and it brought back so many memories for me about mine! Love the quilt on your bed!

Judy said...

My grandmother taught me everything too. Mom knew nothing, but Nama taught me crewel, needlepoint, and most of all how to crochet afghans. I still have the placemats she and I made with this cool stitch I can't remember.

Good to see where yours comes from!

Angie said...

Well, girlfriend, I'm with Finn...could you and Connie come on over to TN and clean this mess up?? :D I would love to have a clean fresh house, but alas, that is my least favorite thing to do. :/ I love the photo of your bed, quilt and wallhangings, and painting. They are just lovely! Did you do the painting?

Wendy said...

I'm the same...I tried it all at some point in my crafting career. My first Debbie Mumm pattern in the 80's, I didn't have a rotary cutting...didn't even know they existed yet. The wallhanging had a curve just like a bowl...LOL

Guðrún said...

The quilt on your bed is gorgeous.

tami said...

I love your bedroom. The quilts are gorgeous.
Thanks for sharing your crafting journey.

Screen Door said...

Great photos...Did you ever make those "potholders"? there was a frame and elastic-like loops that you wove in and out...My Mom still has those...Good memories.

Jeanne said...

Libby, the bedroom photo is so inviting. I could rest very comfortably there.

Stephanie said...

Loved the post about creativity and thanks for mentioning the 4 Seasons Quilt Swap--didn't know we were already signing up!

I think I'll take the meme--haven't had much to blog about lately.

Marcie said...

Cute stuff--words and pics!

Maddie Can Fly said...

Is that a quilt hanging above your bed or a painting? Could we see a close up of it -- it looks so adorable. You have such a nice cozy room.

Bren said...

Oh I loved this post. Your bed looks beautiful!! I so enjoyed hearing (and seeing) your journey to and through quiltmaking.

Littlepenpen said...

Love your story! Thinks for sharing. Your bedroom quilt above is gorgeous. I like everything I can see in the picture!!!

Sweet P said...

I love your answers to the questions. I remember stitching on gingham too. It was so easy for little hands. The quilt on your bed is fantastic.

Amanda said...

I love the quilt on your bed as well as the ones in your bedroom.