Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Progress is slow, but I am enjoying myself. I didn't actually get started until after lunch yesterday and pressing and cutting took a good bit of the afternoon. I was determined to have some sort of measurable progress by the time I went to bed. One block fully complete and a stack of matching blocks nearly done.This morning I got right back to work. This is where I am as of about 7 p.m. tonight. (There's a small stack of hst's to the right of the machine that you can't see.) Because I'm working without a net (pattern) I need to periodically cut more fabric to finish a section. Initially I cut one strip in the required size from each of the fabrics (i.e. 1 - 2 1/2" strip and 1 - 1 7/8" strip from a red subcut to its proper size) So now I'm just trying to even it all out.
I know there are some eagle eyed readers out there who will notice the blue hst's toward the top left of the picture. They belong to this group of fabrics that I had planned to use for my winter Four Seasons Quilt Swap. Sometimes the best laid plans just don't work out and the majority of what I did ended up in the trash. Do not feel sad - it was not a good idea. I was fortunate to receive my swap partner's name yesterday and will happily go in a complete different direction. This will be the last you hear of this swap until the piece is received . . . my partner is a known reader here and I'd like to keep it secret.
I think I have been at the sewing machine for as long as I can stand it for today. I'll do a little hand work and stare at the television for awhile before bed. Then right back to those reds and tans first thing in the morning.

28 comments:

May Britt said...

Your red block is beutiful. It's going to be a wonderful quilt. Which size are you doing this blocks in.

The Calico Cat said...

Tee Hee! (I've got a known reader for my recipient too!) I love seeing all of your block bits & bobs - it is always nice to see how other people work.

Anne Ida said...

I love the idea of recreating an old quilt, and your red and beige block is beautiful!! This is going to be such a pretty quilt! Have fun!!!

CONNIE W said...

The red and beige combination is a classic one, one that always catches my eye. It's going to make such a beautiful quilt.

Beth said...

That's pretty, it's coming out really nice. Hey, I signed up for that swap too, but I haven't gotten my partner's name yet!

Juliann in WA said...

Love those blocks and this sounds like heaven, to just devote yourself to a project. I really need to make time for that instead of obsessing about finishing things.

Jeanne said...

Love your red blocks! I can't wait to see it them all together.

teresa said...

ohhh, it's coming along quite nicely! Can't wait to see it complete.

Judy said...

You got quite a fair amount done! Good when you can sew right along with no interruptions!! Nice block pattern!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

My favorite colors, by far! Don't wear yourself out... I can't wait to see more of this beauty come together.

paula, the quilter said...

Wow you have made progress. I know when I work without a safety net I end up doing just what you did to finish sections. But then sometimes I cut too much and that ends up in the scrap bin, LOL! You go girl!

FabricMom said...

The red block looks great. It will be a beautiful quilt.

Nadine said...

It's gorgeous, Libby !
Libby, Libby, each time I'm seeing your blocks, I want to sweep out everything on my working table, and start something like YOU ! Why are you doing this to me ??? LOL LOL

And, please, tell me I'm your secret winter quilt recipient ! I won't tell anyone, promised....

Hugs & smiles to you !
NADINE

Marilyn R said...

Your red block is great! I can't wait to see the finshed top.

Stephanie said...

Isn't it wonderful how much you can get done when there's no one else around? Love hubby, but love the time alone, too, rare as it is!

Elaine Adair said...

This is a pretty little block - looks like it's 6 inches finished? Nice

Dawn said...

Great Blocks! And I love the new header stars!

Gypsy Quilter said...

I really love that pattern and I love the colors you're doing it in. Lovely.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Gorgeous blocks, they are very "you".
Can't wait to see the end result.
I haven't got my partner's name yet, shall have to check the link, Tracey

anne bebbington said...

This was lovely in the blue example you showed us in your last post and I think I like it even more in the red

Judith said...

I like the idea of making the old one, but than in different colors. It will look good in the end.

Guðrún said...

This is going to be a great quilt, the red color is beautiful.

atet said...

Love your reds and tans! I've got someone who I don't think has ever stopped by my blog for the 4 seasons swap so I'm safe(ish). I just don't know what to do!!!

Bren said...

I love the red and tan/gold together. Your quilts ae always so stunning...I really like your Christmas header also!!

Grazia said...

Wow!!!!...it's a wonderful block!!!
I love the colours you chose!!!
It will be a gorgeous quilt!!!!
Happy quilting
Grazia

Deb Geyer said...

The block looks great. I like your fabric choices!

Carole said...

Enjoy your time! It's fun to have a house to yourself once in a while! Love the block! Keep well!

katelnorth said...

I didn't get a known reader for my recipient - I think I'm glad, as I like to blog my stuff. Of course, she might be a reader, you never know - she might just lurk...

I'll look forward to seeing your four seasons piece when it's finished - I am really pleased to be in on this round of the swap as I loved looking at the autumn ones.

Oh, and I like your red and beige quilt blocks, too!