Monday, November 26, 2007

What's a girl to do? Hubby left very early this morning for a business trip which leaves me to my own devices for a great majority of the week. With a fridge still at near capacity with holiday leftovers, I have all the supplies I need to lock myself in the house and spend the time doing something fun.
When I first found out about the timing of the trip, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity for me to do all of my holiday decorating. Nothing like a festive home to put a smile on your face and a song in your heart. But then I looked at the calendar again and rethought that plan. As much as I love Christmas (and I do LOVE Christmas) once I tire of the decorations, I am completely over it and want them down and put away. Starting the decorating this early could cause me to peak with holiday overload too early. I would never want that to happen, so the decorating must wait.
With that decision made, I knew what my alternative would be - make a quilt. But what quilt? There seemed to be no pattern, stack of fabric or basket of scraps anywhere around that brought about inspiration. I thumbed through books and magazines hoping for that great light bulb moment. NOTHING! No worries with a few things in progress, I'd just work away at getting something done . . . or a least a little nearer done.
Then it happened! I knew just the project that I needed to start. What relief.
When I was growing up, we had two quilts in our house. Both of them tattered, well worn and not held in very high regard. One is an applique basket quilt with embroidery embellishments - the other a two color pieced scrap quilt. We used them when we were sick (I'm sure so that we didn't mess up any of the 'good' blankets.) When they came into my possession, I tried to care for them and offer up some of the TLC that had been lacking. I knew when I became a quilter that maybe someday I would try to recreate one or both of them. I spotted them today sitting on the shelf and I knew the day had come.
I pulled out my Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns by Barbara Brackman and located the name of the block - Double X. Then referred to Around the Block by Judy Hopkins to find I had cutting and piecing instructions for a variety of sizes. Next I opened up the fabric closet and started pulling out fabrics and piling them on the floor. Oh my, such fun.
I came back after after letting them settle for a bit and culled them down to these choices.
I'm going to quickly vacuum the living room, then set up the ironing board and begin pressing and cutting. Oh goody . . . this is going to be fun.

38 comments:

Lisa D. said...

Oh, that blue quilt is just beautiful! I can't wait to see your new creation based on it!

Marilyn R said...

The fabrics you have chosen for your new quilt look great! Have a great day pressing, cutting, and sewing!

CONNIE W said...

I love the fabric choices you made. That is going to be a gorgeous quilt. Have fun!

May Britt said...

Your new project is going to be beautiful with those fabrics.

Screen Door said...

Sounds fun--- Wish I was there. I'm a great presser and you could get down to business cutting. You've got a quilt with memories before it's even created...

Vicki W said...

I love the quilt and the color palette you are going to use! it's going to be beautiful!

joyce said...

It's going to be gorgeous. Nice to have a week on your own to just quilt.

Dawn said...

I have always loved that block! Oh it is going to be sooo awesome!

Linda said...

Ohhh I do adore those fabrics you've chosen, so warm and rich. What a great way of treasuring memories from former years. Look forward to seeing it completed.

Darlene said...

Oh my that's going to be yummy! I can't wait to see your progress!

Your giddyness could be very contagious, Libby! I smiled the entire time I was reading your posting. Thank you! :-)

paula, the quilter said...

That quilt is such a lovely 'elderly' lady. Do you expect to have it done in your in-home retreat before DH gets back?

Guðrún said...

This is exciting, completely different colors. I am waiting for pictures of it.

McIrish Annie said...

I cannot begin to tell you how GREEN with envy I am about your quilting plans this week!! My DH started the decorating yesterday. I am more with you, too much too soon makes me a cranky girl!
Love your plan and can't wait to see how it comes out!*S*

Enjoy your quiet week!

Yvonne said...

I love your fabric choices....it's going to be gorgeous. I agree about the Christmas decorating. I'm so like that....I have been know to take down my stuff the day after Christmas. :) Have fun sewing!

Sonnja said...

The Quilt is beautiful and the fabrics also.
Kind regards,

Sonnja, from the Netherlands
BEERTJE ZONN

Carolyn said...

Oh, what fun you're going to have! Can't wait to see the results...

LBP said...

What beautiful fabrics you have chosen for your quilt! Can't wait to see your finished product!

Blessings

Linda

Quilt Memories said...

I love the old quilt and can't wait to see the new. What beautiful fabric choices. have a great week

Angie said...

Yum, those are luscious colors that you've piled up there...can't wait to see this block/quilt in them! :D

Marcie said...

That quilt is so pretty all in blue! It is the same block as the cover quilt of the last Quilt Sampler magazine. I began making it in AZ last trip and got all the sq in sq parts done, but haven't had a chance to get back to it. What do you want to bet that you finish yours first!

Katie said...

It is also fun to read about your path to this quilt. Enjoy and keep us posted.

Deb Geyer said...

Oh, what fun! I envy you!

Patti said...

Oh my, what a fabulous quilt this is going to be! Love the red and cream combination better than almost any other. The perfect project - I envy you your uninterrupted time. Can't wait to see your progress!

Caroline said...

LOVE that blue quilt, and the block, and your color choices! I'll be watching for progress photos - it's going to look awesome!

Wendy said...

Good choice to put off the decorating and start on a new quilt. The red and beige combination of fabrics have been high on my list the last few months.

Loved your enthusiasm while reading about finding that prefect project to do while hubby is away.

atet said...

Oooh -- those reds and creams are going to be just beautiful!

dot said...

It certainly sounds like fun and I like the colors you choose. Enjoy!!!!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a great project! I'm a little jealous. I'll be watching for photos....

Knot Garden said...

What fun pulling out all those reds! I would love to see the old basket quilt as well.

Carol said...

Your fabrics are going to make a wonderful quilt...I love the blue, but oh my I really love the red! Have fun!

Em said...

Libby - I love it! I so envy your time this week... it sounds like a dream to me! Your fabrics are beautiful! A question... do you have to wash all of your quilting fabrics before you use them? I have done that in the past, but I am having issues with that... I just don't want to wash my new fat quarters and then lose half of them in the edges... your readers can feel free to send comments to me on that too! Em (emandmikeyATaolDOTcom)

FabricMom said...

The fabrics you have chosen are beautiful. I can't wait to see some finished blocks.

Jeanne said...

Love the fabrics you have chosen for your new quilt. Can't wait to see it develop.

teresa said...

ohh, how nice to have some free time to recreate your loved quilts. I really like the color choices that you've pulled out. Can't wait to see your progress!

Sølvi said...

What a nice story. And such a pretty quilt. I will follow you to see what happends with the red/cream fabrics and this double-x block. Solvi in Norway

gloria g. said...

Yes, that is going to be some kinda beautiful quilt! I just love the colors! The blue quilt is beautiful! Can't wait to see your finished project! Thanks for sharing.

gloria g. Richards, TX

Susie said...

I get tired of my decorations if they're up too long too! I'll wait another week or so. Didn't Thanksgiving seem a bit early this year?
xo

Carole said...

Love that blue quilt! I cannto imagine why it would be considered a quilt that can be spared! Hum... nice block and fabric choices! Have fun!