Friday, December 14, 2007

I have some blog keeping that I must tend to today. Some of it is very long overdue and for that I am quite embarrassed.
Back in May, I shared a completed quilt in this post. I asked for help in finding a way to transfer a vintage photo to fabric that I could use as a label. I got lots of great response and ordered Printed Treasures right away.
As soon as it arrived, I selected my photo and transferred it to the fabric. And that's when it all came to a screeching halt! The quilt and unpersonalized label have been hanging on a quilt ladder for nearly 7 months. It took only minutes to finish the label and stitch it on. Shame on me.
But here it is - with the personal stuff cut off to protect the innocent. The quilt is for my brother who is almost 10 years older than I. Here we are at Christmastime 1962. I was two and he was 12. Probably the time in our lives when the age difference was most evident. I think I still have that dolly.My other sharing is not nearly so old. At the quilter's Christmas party last week, we had a gift swap and I promised to share my bounty . . . I do believe I received the best gift of all. Like the potluck where no one signs up, we don't draw names. There's a dollar amount given and the rest is left of to the creativity of the giver.
Just look at these 9 fat quarters! Do they have my name written all over them, or what? I could hardly contain my joy and delight. You can also see just a little bit of the box they came in - it's covered in a great orange-y fabric and has heavy duty snaps that can be undone so the box may be stored flat. I'm sure I won't use the snaps. The box is to cute to be stored away, I'll keep it nearby filled with some fun treasure.
Also a new box of flowerhead pins (my favorite) and an ergonomic seam ripper. I will get plenty of use from that, too. I am famous for having to unsew the same mistake multiple times before my brain engages.
Every year our fearless leader makes little quilts to give to each of us. My collection has really grown and I just love them. Here is the newest addition. Isn't it darling?

Perhaps a good resolution for the new year would be to not put things off. I'll think about it.

20 comments:

paula, the quilter said...

I have one of those ergonomic seam rippers and love it. Like you, I seem to make the same mistake more than once.

joyce said...

The seam ripper looks like a good gift but the fat quarters are better. I wouldn't bother with a resolution like that. It's no fun to do things right away. Lol.

Angie said...

What a wonderful treasure trove you got there, my friend! :) And I love your 'little quilt' gift...the colors are perfect! :> A question...your snowman in your Dec. 9 post...how tall is he? And what keeps him standing upright? :D He is absolutely adorable! :D

Beth said...

What a great bunch of fabric you got there, and that little quilt is too cute!

Carol said...

You are so right...that is a Libby stack of fat quarters. Looks like a great seam ripper...and don't we all need one of those. LOL!

Judy said...

Everything's so yummy!!*s*

Katie said...

You got it all done before time to open Christmas gifts, right? So who will care when the final stitch was put in? Sure a nice gift and pic too. I must try one of those ergonoic seam rippers. Flower pins have been my favorite for a long time. Wonderful fabrics.

Linda said...

Those are definately "Libby" fabrics, and what a great idea with the box. Love your little quilt, looks like you had a wonderful time.

Marilyn R said...

You hit the jackpot with those fat quarters you received! The little quilt is adorable.

Knot Garden said...

Looks like you've got a colour theme going on there! The fat quarters are just your kind of fabric and the little quilt is lovely as well.

Juliann in WA said...

What a great idea to use a photo on the label. Love your treasures too.

Dawn said...

Wow, that fabric is so you! And I loved that quilt for your brother! And now it finally has a label!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

I got a seam ripper...amongst other things...in my potluck quiter breakup as well-lucky as I keep them everywhere to try and stop myself ripping instead...those fabrics and the little quilt are perfect...and I photo transferred yesterday as well, great fun.

Sweet P said...

Those fabrics do say "you". What a wonderful little quilt. I think that is a great way to make a practice block and turn it into a quilt.

Shelina said...

I'm glad you got a label on your quilt. I'm bad about that as well.
The last block I worked on, I had to unsew about five times, and it was such a simple seam too. I finally figured that maybe the problem was somewhere else, and got it done in one try. Sheesh!
Your bounty from the swap looks great! I wish I was in on that swap! That little quilt is adorable. I like the eyes.

yellowfarmhouse said...

Oh those fat quarters are perfect for you and that little quilt is wonderful. I love those flower pins as well and use them the most of all of my pins, as well as the dang seam ripper, LOL. That looks like a good one.

Hugs - karen

Grazia said...

Oh, very nice picture!!!
I was born in the same year....45 years ago!
Merry Christmas Libby!
Grazia

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Isn't that Printed Treasures product the best? It's a bit pricey but well worth it. Great job, Libby; he'll LOVE it. Your "gifties" are great! Lucky girl.

Guðrún said...

Oh yes those FQ have your name written on them.

Carole said...

Lovely goodies! Enjoy!