Tuesday, December 18, 2007

One day last week, I had the television on while sewing and was half-heartedly watching Martha Stewart mostly for background noise. But my ears did perk up when I heard that coming up next, a woman was joining Martha to demonstrate making homemade marshmallows - then dipping them in homemade fudge made using homemade marshmallow creme. This is the very thing that can send me over the moon squealing with delight. Suddenly I was watching and listening VERY intently.
Several years ago, The Princess tipped me off to a Martha recipe for homemade marshmallows and we were off and running. We were moderately successful - good taste, but difficult to remove from the pan and TOO much powdered sugar. In watching the demonstration last week, I picked up a couple of pointers that easily remedied those issues. I am now ready to become a marshmallow making fool.
You can find the recipe on the Martha Stewart website by clicking here.
This is the mixture that will become the marshmallow squares.In the pan all ready to set up overnight.
Ready for dipping.
They don't look nearly as professional as the gal on t.v., but I bet they are as tasty as can be.
I think that having a dipping helper would be very beneficial since the fudge began to set before I was done. I think next time I will just skip the fudge and dip them in chocolate. I already know they are delicious just plain. Hot chocolate anyone?

24 comments:

Beth said...

Oh my gosh, do those look good! I want one of those mixers there really bad too, but good thing I don't have one, I'd be making stuff like this all the time and gain about five gazillion pounds!

joyce said...

My mother used to make homemade marshmallows and roll them in roasted coconut. That was very good too. She used unflavoured gelatin in hers. I haven't made them for years but maybe it's time.

joyce said...

Silly me. I just re-read the recipe and this one has gelatin in it too. Must be a very similar recipe but I never heard of adding the chocolate. Yummy.

E Joiner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eva said...

These look delicious. Are they as good as they look? YUM!!!

Linda said...

Yum, yum and yum, your making my mouth water just looking at them. Thanks for sharing Libby, have the recipe printed out. Might be a good thing for Hollie and I to do together. Did you use the parchment paper, or would something else work?

Juliann in WA said...

yum, yum, yum!

Linda_J said...

ohhhhh, don't those look good! The first time I ever heard of making your own marshmallows was on the Info-EQ list as Barb Vlack one of the EQ authors and go-to gals on the list makes them. BUT I was not tempted to try to do it myself. Now I am not so sure, LOL.

That is a tempting thing to do to a gal who is trying to lose weight, Libby! Not to good a time of year to do that, is it?

Eileen said...

OH, the look of those reminded me of a friend of my Mothers that made them Years ago. So good.I don't remember haveing any at my SIL's as Joyce says her Mom made them.

Carole said...

Your mashmellow look exactly like the one's William Sonoma sells! Perfect to me! Deliciously tempting!

Angie said...

Those look so yummy---and I don't even like marshmallows. :D And I'm like Beth, I've wanted one of those mixers forever. Maybe one year Santa will bring me one. :D

May Britt said...

I have done marshmallows for christmas many years now. And it tastes sooooo good.

anne bebbington said...

Never mind how they look I'll bet they taste amazing! Never even thought you'd be able to make marshmallows yourself - may have to seriously investigate this!

dee said...

wow Libby, thanks for the great start to my day. That picture even made the guys come over and have a looksee at what Mom was drooling over! By the way, marshmallows don't have to be professional-they just have to BE!!!

KCQuilter said...

Oh, boy, you a'makin' me crazy, Libby Girl!!! I saw that same Martha segment and drooled over those chocolaty goodnesses too. I thought I had best just "look away" but now I want to make them even more than ever!!!

yellowfarmhouse said...

Oh YUMMY - I wish I could reach through the screen and pick 1 or maybe 2 or maybe even 3. Might have to try this sometime. Thanks for sharing.

Hugs - Karen

Darlene said...

Those look incredibly yummy! Wait! Decadent would be the better word to use. :-)

Great job!

LBP said...

They look absolutely scrumptious!! I have never tried to make homemade marshmallows before.

Blessings

Linda

Judy said...

I'm not a huge fan of marshmallows, but the fudge part looks quite yummy. Alas, however, too much temptation for me to have all that chocolate around to eat. I'd be in a severe sugar coma!

Good job!

Wendy said...

Ooooo those look delicious...I've just gained 5 pounds looking at them.

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Wow, does that look good! I try not to make things like that as I eat them all!

Carol said...

YUMMY...I'll come be your dipping helper if I can sample as I dip...LOL!

Sweet P said...

Those marshmallows look yummy.

Sharni said...

These look totally decadent and totally scrumptious!! Can you pass us all the recipe, we all need this kind of comfort food, one that we can be totally guilty about!!! Have a good Christmas and New Year!!