Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Thanks to everyone who had such kind words concerning my daydream post. I have always enjoyed the movie The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty and when I found myself in the midst of a very Mitty-esque daydream, I just couldn't help but share it.
As for the quilt, I am still working at getting the blocks pieced. While I was stitching, I was thinking about the quilt and came up with a name: Fever. Remember, the original was used to cuddle in when I was sick as a child. Combine that story with the new red color scheme and the name could be nothing else. Should I decide to one day recreate it again using blues, as in the original, I plan to call that quilt: Chills.
Tonight is the Christmas party with my local quilting friends. There is a potluck and gift exchange. The best part of the potluck is that no one signs up for a particular dish . . . I think we are secretly hopeful that one year there will be only desserts. It always works out to a yummy balance of delicious dishes. Usually I take a savory dish, but this year I chose to go sweet (maybe this will be the year *s*)
This morning I made a double batch of toasted cinnamon almonds using the recipe that Kairle from Happy Valley Quilter shared last week. A very easy recipe to make up, the house smells absolutely delicious and the nuts taste so yummy good. Thanks Kairle - I know these are going to be a big hit!
I also made a pan of Magic Cookie Bars. Another quick and easy recipe that comes out tasty every time. These were my favorite when I was a little girl. My mom used to make them when it was my turn to bring the snack to the Camp Fire Girls meeting. It was all I could do to not take several samples from the container (an old coffee can decorated with Contact paper) during the school day.Christmas decorating is very slowly beginning to happen. So far the quilts have been hung and the big tree is in it's designated spot. I hope to add the ornaments tomorrow and put up the other trees around the house over the weekend.
This little wall hanging is in the kitchen just above the coffee maker. I believe the original pattern is by Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day fame. My strips are resized to 1 1/4" cut and the applique bow is from a Blackbird Designs pattern.This quilt is from a Thimbleberries book and is large enough for a twin bed. Currently there is no bed that size in the house, so now it's hanging in a handy spot near the sofa to cuddle under while watching Christmas dvd's.
Today all the news folk have been aflutter with talk of the huge surf that is coming our way. A storm that began in Alaska has made it's way down the west coast and is bringing us waves up to 15'. I drove by the beach while out doing my errands and saw some very big waves, but didn't have time to stop. When I came back, the surf had calmed down some. I had only my cell phone camera with me and this photo is a bit deceiving. It was taken near low tide and from atop a cliff. If you can enlarge the image, you will see something(s) dark in the crest of the wave near the center. There was a pod of dolphins traveling northward. It is not unusual to see two or three dolphins but today there must have been 20 or more. Quite a sight.
Just like the surfers, they just couldn't resist those big waves.

20 comments:

Patti said...

What a site that must have been! How sad your cell phone doesn't have a telescopic lens!

Here I thought our storm was heading on east to dump snow in the midwest. Didn't realize it was coming down your way from here.

Your Christmas quilts are lovely. I know what you mean. Fred hung the garlands yesterday so everything is up but the tree. Whe should put it up tonight, but I think I'm going to vote that we wait for the weekend when I have more energy.

15 more days and counting!

Susie said...

Your baked goodies look so yummy. I haven't made Magic Cookie Bars in years.
We've had the huge waves here too. A surfer drown and a fishing boat was lost about 1 hour south of us.
Quite the storm..
xo

Linda said...

Oh I do love your Thimbleberries quilt. Hope you had fun this evening.

atet said...

Love those quilts -- and what yummy looking goodies. I would have loved to have tasted them. So tell us, was this the year for desserts only?

Screen Door said...

How exciting to see the photos. It looks warm---Love the Christmas quilt pics, too. The holiday will be here before we know it.

joyce said...

Thanks for the recipes. I'll give them a try. I've seen one or two dolphins but twenty! It must be a sign of good luck.

Forgetmenot said...

What fun to see dolphins! we have some near us, but I hardly ever see them - too busy looking for driftwood and shells - it's a family joke.
Your almonds do look tasty - i might try that

Angie said...

What a beautiful photo of the ocean! How exciting it would be to see the Dolphins!! :> Yum...I'll be at your house by 4:30 today so I can go to your guild Christmas party ;)! Don't leave without me!!! *g* LOVE, love, love your log cabin wreath AND the friendship star...will you leave me your quilt collection in your Will??? ROFL

Juliann in WA said...

Looks like you are having fun getting into Christmas. I really miss the ocean.

Carol said...

WOW! Those waves must have been quite a sight...how wonderful that you could see all those dolphins. I can just smell those almonds cooking. I'm going to a quilt friends get together in 2 weeks, I think I'll copy you and take some of those along with me. Love your Christmas quilts.
Oh and Magic Cookie Bars...I made those every year...I guess I started when I was about 13...my dad and I loved them...mom was never a coconut fan...even when daddy was so sick and didn't want to eat much of anything else his last Christmas he almost squealed when I came in with those. Thank you for the wonderful memory Libby.

Dawn said...

Oh what a fun name, and you even have one piced out for it done in blue! Too fun! I LOVE Magic Cookie Bars - can't they come my way instead? Heck I would take the nuts too!

Judy said...

The quilts are all beautiful! I haven't started anything yet! Glad to see they got the picture problem fixed so we could see the close-ups!

Might try those almonds. We buy bags and bags of the plain for hubby's lunch, but nothing wrong with jazzing up a few!

McIrish Annie said...

I have that same wreath quilt hanging in my kitchen! I bought it as a flimsy on Ebay about 5 years ago and finished it with borders and such. It really means christmas is here when that quilt goes up!

My guild party is next tuesday. i think i will make your magic cookie bars with me!

katelnorth said...

Mmm, magic cookie bars - we used to make those. Condensed milk, coconut, choc chips, graham cracker crumbs, nuts... MMM.

paula, the quilter said...

I just bet the house smells wonderful with all that baking! I need to start and finish decorating this weekend. Our party is on the 14th, you can make it can't you? *s* Thanks for the beautiful surf pic.

Guðrún said...

I love your little doll, it is so primitive.

Linda_J said...

stop! You are making me hungry!

Don't feel too bad about it though as my chance is next week. I'll throw calorie counting to the wind that day for sure.

We DO sign up for some generic things though but perhaps not an exact name for the dish. The girls tease me about this but I have been to potlucks at work that were less that balanced meals. Once, if I had not made some meat dish in the crockpot, we would have only had gelatin of various hues and fruit inclusions.

Marcie said...

I copied that Cinnamon Almonds recipe also. Can't wait to try it! Your Thimbleberries quilt looks so cut in red and green! I made one like it in red and blue for my son and he loves it. Love all the little old ornaments! Have a happy day!

Marcie said...

Why oh why don't I proof read when I know I am such a bad typist? I meant "CUTE" not cut. Ugh!

Grazia said...

The Christmas wreath wallhanging and the quilt are fantastic!!!!
The primitive doll is so cute!!!
Merry christmas Libby!
Grazia