Thursday, December 06, 2007

Today I began decking the halls. It's almost like Christmas morning, opening all the boxes and finding surprises and some old friends, too.
This little angel is one of the first ornaments we ever purchased. Being poorer than church mice when we were first married, Hubby and I had no Christmas decorations of our own for our first four Christmases. Instead each year Mom would come to visit for the holidays and she brought all of her decorations for us to use. We would buy a small tree that was often reduced in price because it was late in the season - think Charlie Brown - and decorated with all the things I grew up with - red balls, red bows, red lights and candy canes. (Mom LOVED red!) When we moved to the east coast that plan was no longer possible and we were forced to fit holiday decorations into our budget. Everything that year came from Pic-n-Save. Some have gone by the wayside, but many (like this little angel) have stood the test of time becoming some of the most beloved.These are some examples of The Princess' early artwork. The felt bell photo frame is a kindergarten project. After 22 years, there is still some glitter. The little salt dough bell in the background came along a couple of years later. It's such fun to think about those chubby little fingers hard at work to make something pretty for Mom and Dad.
The little glass bird is the only ornament that my mom had that was not red. The balls, bows and candy canes did not endure - but I always think of her when I come across this little beauty.
This little fella is relatively new. We found him on a trip to Virginia about 4 years ago. The Princess was stationed at Andrews AFB then. She took us to Old Town Alexandria and we found a fun Christmas shop filled with treasures like this. I must admit I've never been able to resist a Marine.
The party last night was fun. It was not an 'all dessert' year . . . maybe next time. The treats were a hit. I came home with a wonderful gift. I'll share it in another post. Of course, I think I got the best one of all!

19 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I have similar ornaments that bring a tear to my eye when I think of my children constructing them way back then. I love this post! Your precious glass bird is just darling, what a treasure!

Guðrún said...

Thanks for sharing those memories, I think Christmas time is so emotional, you have things your children did, that you grew up with and etc. and as mrs. goodneedle said it brings tears to your eyes.

Linda_J said...

What fun, Libby! I was thinking the same sorts of things as I hung some ceramic ornaments that my mom made (DJ and Linda mice), some that I had made from felt and various ones accumulated along the way. I'm glad we decided to put up a tree---I've missed it.

(I've been by but just have not had a lot of time to comment on anyone's blog--sorry about that!)

Wendy said...

Wonderful memories of Christmas come back when we see the ornaments coming out of the boxes. Thanks for sharing.

Sweet P said...

I think Christmas ornaments hold more memories than many of the items people have in their home. I like your ornaments and thanks for sharing your memories with us.

dee said...

my most precious ornaments are the one that belonged to my lovely MIL Dot. I think of her every Christmas when I unwrap the delicate blown glass santas and tiny hand painted china bells.
It's not done until we put those on the tree.

Yvonne said...

Thanks for sharing your special memories Libby. I think that 's my favorite part of doing the tree...all the sweet memories that the ornaments evoke.
I'm glad you had a wonderful time at your party. :)

Valerie said...

Very sweet post - Hubby and I have been married 6 years now and we still buy our ornaments at the dollar stores where everything's a buck! :) They are some of my favorite ornaments too! :) The bell frame your daughter made is so sweet - my oldest made ornaments yesterday in kindergarten, they are my little treasures!!! :)

Carolyn said...

Isn't it wonderful how the ornaments stir such fond memories. That's part of the joy of the holidays...thanks for sharing!

Carol said...

What wonderful, wonderful memories!

McIrish Annie said...

We have loads of ornaments like yours! there are so many memories. I especially love the ones that Alex made over the years. We have a little tree with just those ornaments on it. I'm sure you have many made by the Princess on your tree.

Judy said...

Very cool tree ornaments! We have some from the very beginning...cross stitched, plastic/yarn things, glitter and felt! Most are gone, but some are still on the tree.

Erin said...

thanks for sharing! your ornaments are gorgeous!

gwen said...

A very moving post. Thanks for sharing the history of your Christmas decoration. Take care.

Dawn said...

We are off to get our tree tonight! I see some decorating in my future this weekend!

hetty said...

Loved your sentimental post! What lovely memories! I was moved to tears. We have a similar tree each year and your blog has made me want to put it up today!

Rosemary said...

Hi Libby! Just wanted to tell you how much i enjoy your blog and looking at your YUMMY quilts! You choose the bestest colors!

atet said...

What great memories -- I have similar ones when I bring out our ornaments. Oh -- and I've been to the store in Old Town where you found your little Marine ornamet -- LOVE that place!

Happy In Quilting said...

What beautiful ornaments and even more lovely the memories....it is an emotional time when you decorate the tree and bring out those treasured gifts.......