Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Well, I've had a day of play and a day of civic duty . . . now I plan to get back to some quilting fun. On Monday, Hubby took a vacation day so we could head north to the 'Merriest Place On Earth.' It is quickly becoming a tradition for us to see all the decorations and lights done up only like Disney can do.
It's A Small World comes to life in spectacular fashion . . . even the song doesn't seem so annoying.Sleeping Beauty's Castle capped in 'snow' and dripping with icicle lights.
Remember our fall trip to Germany? It's easy to see how Neuschwanstein Castle became Walt Disney's inspiration.Yesterday I was on jury duty. Our county has a one day/one trial system. If you are not selected for a trial, you won't be called for at least one year. If you serve on a jury, your service is good for three years.
It's a bit of a boring process, just waiting in the jury lounge - but mostly I don't mind. I made it a point to arrive early in order to get a seat at one of the few available tables. I used the waiting to address Christmas cards, stitch labels on two small quilts and do some hand quilting on the bear paw doll quilt. I did get assigned to a courtroom just before the lunch break but was thanked and dismissed by the defense just before the afternoon recess.
I have finished putting together all the pennies for A Penny Saved. Now to pull out the magazine with the pattern and start laying them out on the background.
A little dividend. In order to reduce bulk, I cut out the backs of the large and medium circles as I appliqued. Now I have this happy little pile of small and smaller circles. Yo yo's anyone?
I'm making nice progress on my Fever blocks. Only three sets of blocks left. I think I am 1 block shy of 90. Rats . . . I'll have to cut one more time. I can hardly wait to lay them out and see what I've got.

Let's all think positive thoughts that it will be large enough to use on my queen-size bed. With sashing and borders, I think it just may make it.

28 comments:

Patti said...

Ohhhhh . . . you are accomplishing SO much! The pennies look great! And I can't wait to see that red and white quilt top come together.

Patti said...

I guess I should say red and tan - sorry!

Darlene said...

Everything looks terrific! Continuing to provide wonderful inspiration, Libby!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Oh I love those fever blocks...must be the fab colours you are using! Please keep us posted on your progress. It looks like it will be very beautiful!

Linda said...

Just love your fever blocks, such scrummy colours..

May Britt said...

It is always good to have something in the bag while waiting at boring places. How big are the circles you cut out? Perhaps use them to applique on another quilt. Maybe a miniature of the same one you are working on. Love the colours you are using in it. And the red and white blocks........georgius.

Judy said...

Oh those circles are good for so many things! Berries for tons of applique projects, yo-yo's and the like!

Excellent progress!

Fiona said...

The Fever blocks look so intricate - looking forward to seeing what the blocks look like when they are laid out.

Colleen Eskridge said...

Wow....I can only say WOW!!! You have been so busy....and your home looks wonderful......I am not into the season...except for outdoor lights. Not even lights on my little table top tree! Man, I love what you have!It looks great.Thanks for visiting my blog....hope to post more regularly ...at least until I come back to the states in Feb....7 weeks!!!! Yippeee. In time for
Valentines Day. Can't wait to see this latest quilt, love the colors. Colleen

Susie said...

Your house looks so festive! Loved your pictures of Disneyland too. We saw those snow capped mountains and it really did look Christmasy!
xo

Angie said...

Your pennies are gorgeous, Libby! Can I hire you to do some fabric shopping for me? :D If you are 'spreading' the fun with those 'bonus' pennies, you just yell for my snail mail addy!!! *grins*

Dawn said...

Oh your blocks are looking sooo good! And look at all your penny's! Oh what a fun eye candy day for me! (And I'm totally jealous of the "magic" trip!)

Marilyn R said...

The fever blocks look great! I'm looking forward to seeing them put together in a quilt top. The Disney photos are neat - wish I could see the holiday lights in person!

atet said...

Oh, those blocks are just beautiful. And yep -- only Disney can do that, and oh boy would I enjoy it! (if even It's a Small World is less annoying -- it's got to be breathtaking!)

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

If it starts looking like a white Christmas here I will be worrying about the end of the Workd...but pleased for you!
You have been very busy...it all looks great...and simply Libby in colouring. Loved the Disney photos, how my kids would enjoy that but there is no way Dh is putting that on the family holiday list any time soon! Tracey

dee said...

the blocks look so beautiful Libby. I can't believe how much you accomplish in a day. You're an inspiration. I'm in love with red lately. Looking for material for window toppers for after Christmas. The red looks so warm and cheerful-it would make the next few freezing months bearable.

Mar said...

Love your fever blocks, looking forward to seeing what those turn out like and I'm intrigued by the circles. You get a lot done!

Bren said...

The Penny Saved quilt is one I have in the back of my mind for after Christmas. Can you share where you got the pattern again?

Rosemary said...

I can't wait to see the pennys done! And i love all the colors you use in your quilts ;0 rosemary

ROZ said...

Libby, Libby, I hope I can get some inspiration from your diligence.

katelnorth said...

What a productive day you had, Libby - and how nice to have the excuse to do all that work without feeling there was something else you should be doing...

Guðrún said...

Queen size, of course it must be enough to make one, I will cross my fingers. You are doing so many beautiful things, always great visiting you.

Nancy in MT said...

My goodness, Libby, how you get so much done, your pennies are finished, and the fever blocks in my favorite colors.

Quilt Nut said...

i love disneyland at Christmas!

the pennies look fabulous-gorgeous colors!

gwen said...

Red and cream look so like Christmas, the perfect colours for a top at this time of year. Do keep your cut-out circles for yoyos or appliqué, they are just great for that or for your doll quilt projects. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your nice house! Take care.

Karen said...

Wowwwwww the things you are making are SO pretty!

claire said...

i love this block and fabric
biz of france

Sew Prim Khris said...

Love the colours and fabrics you are using. Hugs, Khris in Oz