Friday, January 18, 2008

Back from the quilt show. What a day it was. If all traffic conditions are normal, it should take me just under 2 hours to drive. This is southern California and traffic conditions are never normal, so I left fairly early in order to cope with rush hour traffic and arrived just as the doors were to open. I had made plans to meet Beth, Carol and Sharon at the Cozy Cottage booth at 10:30. So I decided to use the time to visit the two vendors that I look forward to the most and do a little extra shopping.
The first booth was Quilting Books Unlimited. My plan is always to pick out a quilt documentation or history book each year. I never have a book in mind - I just know it when I see it. I leafed through several books and none of them spoke to me. I moved on to another table and there IT was and just like years passed - I knew I had found my book. The quilts are absolutely gorgeous and the photography really captures their beauty. The piecing detail and the quilting stitches are all there to be taken in. This book is going to become dog eared quickly as I turn to it for inspiration.
It seems that Amish quilts are a theme with me this year. I received a card depicting this quilt a month or so ago. I immediately knew that I would love to recreate it. I've been waiting for this quilt show to purchase the fabrics. Liberty Homestead has these beautiful hand dyed cottons that will be just perfect. I know I could have ordered online . . . but there is just something about seeing and feeling the fabric in person that made the wait well worth while.
Armed with my purchases, I made my way across the room to meet my blogging friends and then get down to the business of chatting and seeing all the quilts and vendors. As I lurked around the booth, it occurred to me that I had NO idea what the ladies I was meeting looked like. *yikes* Finally I just approached a gal, "Excuse me. Are you Beth?" *whew* It was her - boy was I glad - I don't think I would have kept approaching people. We chatted while waiting for the others and soon a phone call came in. Sharon and Carol were waiting in a long line of cars to get into the parking lot and suggested we start looking around the show without them. About 30 minutes later they called again to say they wouldn't be coming in - the parking lot was full! What's up with that? This is a convention center - if the fire marshal is allowing entrance to the building then there should be parking available. A strongly worded letter is on it's way. Disappointed but undaunted, Beth and I soldiered on - there were vendors and quilts all around us.
There were a lot of great vendors with so much stuff it almost makes your head swim. Here's a look at the rest of my purchases. A nice bundle of repro fat quarters to go in my stash, a little stack of blue and brown coordinates and a Moda U pattern that I have seen made up on a few blogs.
We viewed a lot of quilts, too. Some that I really liked, some I wouldn't give 2 cents for even though I admire the work that went into them, and all inspiring to make me want to get home and get to work. As soon as I find the usb for my cell phone camera, I'll post pictures. It was a fun day and I'm glad I got to spend it with Beth.

20 comments:

atet said...

What lovely treasures you found. Those hand dyed solids are beautiful -- I'm not usually one for Amish quilts, but wouldn't those fabrics be great for some sticheries?

Beth said...

I had a blast too. Those hand dyed fabrics you got are soooo nice.

Linda said...

Sounds like you had a fun day, shame about Carol and Sharon. Yummy purchases.

dee said...

Oh My! I can't wait to see what you do with those lucious colors. I'm a big fan of Amish quilts. Too bad you're not closer to me. We could take a trip down to the Quilt Museum in Lancaster. Waht an experience that was. Even my husband was blown away by the beauty of those antique quilts.

Wendy said...

Too bad about the parking problem, must have been a fantastic show to see if so many people were trying to get in. The fabrics you picked up are gorgeous and the book looks like great inspiration.

Kathie said...

glad you had fun...and love your purchases.
I will have to look for that book too.
I have on my list this year an amish quilt...
one of my goals is to use more solid color fabrics...
looking forward to the pictures.
Kathie

CONNIE W said...

I enjoyed reading about your day at the quilt show.

Bren said...

Fun post!! I love the hand dyes..I have a special love of Amish quilts too. I made one for my sister.

Judy said...

Oh shoot! Too bad about meeting them..and I know what Carol and Sharon look like too.*s* Our quilt show is held at the convention center on the grounds of the coliseum, so they have plenty of parking, but I would park and walk if I had to. But I'm perpetually early so it's never an issue.

The browns and blues are yummy! I got the whole Jamestown FQ lines for xmas. The hand dyes are gorgeous...I might have to visit our similar booth this year. I got inspired by Lucy's little amish quilt she made! Glad you got to meet Beth!

Dawn said...

Oh baby! I need that book! I always visit their booth at the chicago show and do the same thing. I get my best books from them.

Guðrún said...

What a shame that Carol and Sharon couldn´t get to park their car, but you and Beth seemed to have a great time. Lovely, lovely fabrics you bought.

Lucy said...

You bought a beautiful book. I saw it at Pducah and I've still regret I didnt buy it ...

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Libby it sounds as if you had the best day.....and the fabrics wow...and the book great purchase...the early start and drive sounds like it was all worth it....

Rabbit Stitchings said...

How fun!! I so wish I could have been there too! Bef aka Beth is a sweety for sure! She invited me out but ahhhh I don't fly. Maybe someday though, you just never know! Looks like you found some great goodies! I saw Beth's loot on her blog as well :O)... fun fun fun

Darlene said...

Wow, you got some wonderful buys! It's a shame that you didn't get to meet Carol and Sharon. But...you got to meet Beth!!!

Grazia said...

We also have heavy traffic in Rome....but unfortunately we don't have quilt shows!!!!
I'm waiting for pictures...I'm curious...:):)
Grazia

Yvonne said...

I have to say I love everything you bought....nice goodies. :) I love all the Amish quilts. Glad you got to meet Beth....too bad about Carol and Sharon. Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

LBP said...

What beautiful fabric you bought. I always go to the quilt show they have here in July and spend most of the day with my mouth open in awe on the work and beauty of the quilts.

I've got the first block of my Debbie Mumm BOM done. Finally. The block should be 9 1/2 x 91/2. The first one I made was 9x9. Redo!

Linda

Lea said...

Hi, Libby! Thank you for dropping by my blog earlier!
Wow, Seems like you had a great time at Road 2 Califonia. :-)
I went to this quilt show couple times before and It was very fun to see all VENDERS. *LOL*
"Quilting Books Unlimited" has very nice selections and I see You found a great one. :-)
Love all your ourchases!!!

Carole said...

I read you about Amish quilts. It is my dream to own one. But, I am particular. I just cannot buy any one. Oh, how I wish I knew an Amish person who would make one for me. It would mean so much more to me then just buying one. I don't know! Love your purchase. Bummer that you were not able to meet up with Sharon!