Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The new year just seems to be flying by - the first week has just gone at warp speed. Hubby returned to work yesterday after two wonderful weeks at home. In addition to celebrating holidays, he did lots of things around the house. Here you can see that the bathroom renovation that was started before Thanksgiving is now done. I certainly didn't mean for the toilet to be the focus of the photo, but it is a VERY small room. In order to get an angle that would best show all that happened it just worked out that way. Check out the new soap holder. We bought it nearly three years ago, knowing that this is where it would live. I hope that we will be able to find replacement soap when needed. (Currently there are places on the internet.)
This crock is another item that came to live with us over the holidays. A local antique consignment shop was going out of business at year's end. I came upon the crock on a quick stop to see what might be left. For some time, I have thought that I would like a crock this size to use as a waste basket next to my sewing machine. That fantasy went out the window when Hubby winced as he picked it up to carry to the car. Instead it holds logs for the fireplace - a very handy thing. Those green wire things were on it. I opted to live with it that way for a bit before removing them. In person they don't seem bad - in the photo they are just plain ugly and they've gotta go.
The rainstorm kept us close to home over the weekend. We kept a fire going and watched lots of movies. That has given me lots of time to work on my whole cloth quilt. The center is done and I've done all the cross hatching in one direction and now I'm going back the other way.
With two fairly detailed borders yet to come, I think one to two more winters will be all I need to finish it up. Soon it will be too warm to sit under and have to go back on the rack for next year. There are plenty of other projects in the works to fill the time . . . ahhh, the life of a quilter.

16 comments:

Beth said...

Your bathroom remodel looks really nice. How does that soap holder work if you need to buy refill bars for it? Your wholecloth is stunning!

Screen Door said...

I'm so glad Beth explained the soap dispenser...I was show how not "uptown" I was. Beautiful.. That quilt is going to be a keeper.

Carol said...

Your quilt is awesome. What a wonderful job hubby did on the bathroom.

Patti said...

Wow! I can't believe how much progress you've made on your whole cloth quilt!

CONNIE W said...

Looks so nice!

yellowfarmhouse said...

Libby - love your new bathroom and that soap thing is cool. Is that a McCalls candle jar with cotton balls in it?

I admire you doing a whole quilt cloth. That's a lot of hand quilting there sister :)

hugs - karen

~Joan said...

Libby, I love the hand quilting! What color is the quilt and thread?

Was it premarked??

~Joan

Doreen said...

Greetings Libby. I'm so sorry I've not stopped by to say hello in sooo very long..I've no excuse. Thank you so much for stopping by to visit me.

Your new bathroom looks great and I just LOVE the soap dispenser. It's perfect.

Your rainy weekend at home sounds devine. Don't you just love those kind of days...cozied up in front of the snuggly fire..sewing, relaxing and watching a good movie...Ahhhh....life is so good.

Your quilt is exquisite!!!

Hugs,
doreen

Jeanne said...

Your bathroom remodel looks great! And I love that crock. Wood for the fireplace sounds like the perfect use of it. The whole cloth quilt is really beautiful, too.

paula, the quilter said...

Your stitches are so even and small. My hands and wrists just won't let me do small stitching anymore, like I ever could *s*. CarGuy and I have an old copper-lined crock (with lid) that we use for kindling. Can you send hubby my way? I have 2 bathrooms that need to be redone.

Rose said...

Hi Libby, I've been lurking on your blog for a while. Just had to break out to tell you how much I like the sink/vanity in your new bath remodel. Lots of room on top, storage on the bottome but with the look of a pedestal all in one sweet unit. Love it!

Love the quilt too. Beautiful stitching!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

wow...that quilting is fantastic....

Clare said...

I love those soap holders. You used to see them a lot in France, but not any more. The soaps used to look like huge lemons and the smell was divine.

Beautiful quilting.

Dawn said...

Mmmm, I love that crock! I've been wanting one for a wastebasket too! And your whole cloth is looking wonderful!

Judy said...

I stopped by your blog twice yesterday and nothing new. I swear I need to click re-do or something sometimes... anyway. The bathroom looks good. IN my house the soap thing would get covered in cat hair...That's why we use the foamy push bottle. Noodle would probably lick it!

The whole cloth is coming along beautifully. Your stitches are so even. That's the one thing I issues with the even-ness of my stitches. Are you doing with a hoop or going free hand? Looks fabulous!

Guðrún said...

How beautiful this quilt is going to be, wow. Your bathroom looks pretty nice ;)