Monday, February 04, 2008

It was a great day at the mail box today. My Four Seasons Winter Swap partner was revealed to me. Anne Ida of Quiltoholic in Norway had my name. Here is the lovely quilt she made just for me - Winter Night Stars. I think the night sky in Norway must look just like this - clear blue sky with twinkling white stars on a cold winter night. I can't wait to find just the right spot to display this little darling.Look at all the other goodies that came inside the package. Anne Ida's note to me written on 2 postcards that show the city of Oslo, a mouse mat with a print from the Munch Museum that is nearby, fabrics that are destined to find a home in a quilt very soon, and c-h-o-c-o-l-a-t-e. I must say that I am quite proud that I remembered to take a photo before I opened it for a taste. Thank you, Anne Ida . . . you out did yourself.
But the mail fun did not end there. There was also an envelope from Marcie at Patchalot More. Marcie recently shared on her blog a quilt that she designed called Williamsburg Medallion. She made a little mention that she wondered what I might do with that pattern . . . so I gladly offered to oblige. I have some ideas in my head and a few fabrics in mind.
Before I can begin, I want to finish Fever. I auditioned the 6 fabrics that make up my new banner and found each one to be lacking in one way or another. That left me with only one alternative - to go to the fabric shop and find something suitable. These are all the sashing strips.
and all of the blocks put together in a 'fishnet.' This afternoon I got a good chunk of the top constructed. Just a few more seams and I'll be ready to start measuring for borders.
There is a little bit of magic happening and it just makes me smile. There is a secondary pattern emerging that gives the illusion of circles. That is the bonus fun about quilting - you just never know what might show up.

32 comments:

Julia said...

WoW!!! You lucky girl! That little quilt is beautiful.

Your Fever quilt is going to be stunning.

The little doll's hair on the shelf in your pic, looks just like mine when I let it grow long! lol I have very coarse fuzzy hair. It is one of the reasons that I keep it kind of short. :)

Quilt Nut said...

the winter stars quilt is stunning!

i love your fever quilt

Lea said...

Ooooo, This winter quilt is so beautiful. and these wonderful goodies all way from Norway! She is very sweet. :-)

I'm very anxious to see "Libby" version of Williamsburg Medallion. :-)
Also your fever quilt is so stunning!

Linda said...

What a gorgeous "Winter Quilt".... Your quilt top is just stinning Libby, and my favorites colours. I look forward to seeing it completed.

Darlene said...

Beautiful winter stars!

A surprise secondary pattern - that's exciting! Very pretty!

Wendy said...

The winter star quilt is stunning...you lucky girl.

Your new quilt looks fantastic...I love the secondary pattern emerging.

Quilterin said...

Wow.............Anne Idas winter quilt is soooo lovely! Enjoy it!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Your swap quilt is beautiful, how lucky you were...and as for the Fever quilt, wow....looking forward to seeing more progress shots...

Kathie said...

Libby I can't wait to see this new quilt finished, I love secondary designs in quilts.
Is this from a pattern/book or your own design?
please tell !
LOVE the colors and fabrics your using, just perfect for me!
I love your winter swap quilt, awesome ! This is a great winter quilt in mho.
Kathie

Screen Door said...

I love the borders!!!Presents in the mail are the best!!

McIrish Annie said...

I am loving how Fever is developing. The colors are so homey and that circular pattern is great!!

Knot Garden said...

The sashing strips look lovely hanging there - like a curtain:)
Can't wait to see this beautiful quilt finished.

Dawn said...

What fun packages! And ummm, I've been drooling over those fabric in your new banner - so since they didn't work, why don't you just send them to me! :)

I can't wait to see what you do with Marcie's pattern!

Marilyn R said...

Fever is going to be one stunning quilt! I love the fabric you chose for the sashing. The Winter quilt is adorable!

Laura said...

Wow your fever quilt is awesome. And lucky you being the recipient of such a wonderful quilt.

paula, the quilter said...

Blue and white, mmmmmm, just a good all around combo in my way of thinking. Of course, I'm a bit partial to blue in all its flavors. The secondary pattern in that quilt is really exciting.

Carol said...

I love how your quilt is going together...that secondery pattern is wonderful!

Finn said...

Hi Libby, what a really lovely little quilt *VBS* You can almost feel the frosty air of nightime!
And goodies?? Lucky girl!

I'm so excited to see your Fever quilt coming together. Looks like it was alot of work, but well worth it.
And Harper in her shirt?? She needs some Paris Hilten sunglasses to complete the lookQ Poor baby!
Big hugs, Finn

Val said...

I saw this little quilt on Anne's blog, wheew, and how it does POP against your homespuns, reds, and browns! Just gorgeous!

Also, your fever quilt has got to be one of my favorites. I'm in love with red! :)

FabricMom said...

Love the fever quilt. And the hanging Anne Ida sent you. It was your lucky day.

atet said...

What great mail! Your four seasons quilt is lovely and your Fever quilt is coming along so well. I don't see why you couldn't get it done for Valentine's day...

Quilt Memories said...

WOW!!!! Both quilts are stunning, you are one lucky lady to receive such a grand gift, and a very smart lady to be able to make a quilt as beautiful as the fever quilt. Congrats on both!!!! J

yellowfarmhouse said...

WOW Libby that quilt is going to be stunning. I can't wait to see it finished. You've got the "fever" to get that baby finished.

Your winter swap quilt is also beautiful, what a fun treasure to find in your mailbox.

Hugs - karen

Jeanne said...

That's a really cute little quilt! Your fever blocks look terrific. It will be a wonderful quilt, too.

Quilting Pirate said...

what a wonderful mail day!! Anne Ida did a beautiful job on your winter quilt!!

Judy said...

What a beauty. Can't wait to see how the "circles" appear once they have the red corner stone between sashing.

It will be gorgeous!

Anne Ida said...

I'm happy you like the little blue and white star quilt :o) I really enjoyed making it for you!

Your fever quilt looks so great! I look forward to seeing it all together!

Take care!

kjquilts said...

First of all, I love your swap quilt! Of course, anything blue and white gets my admiration immediately!
This fever quilt is going to be stunning! I finally saw the circles after looking at it real hard. LOL! It takes me a while to get it...

Sweet P said...

I love your Winter Swap quilt. It is fantastic.

Perry said...

Your Four Seasons Winter Swap is really gorgeous. It just seems to glow. Your Fever quilt is going to be stunning I think. Can't wait to see it finished. Ireally love it when the unexpected happens in a quilt, like your circles, makes you want to giggle, yes?

Em said...

I LOVE the fever quilt - where did that pattern come from???? I am really wanting to do one myself in some blues or greens! I love it!

Carole said...

Lovely quilt from Anne Ida! You just reminded me that I must share my treasure from the swap. Keep well!