Friday, February 29, 2008

Sadie Hawkins Day has arrived. That means it is time to draw a winner . . . WAIT. It's not 8 p.m. Pacific time yet. So I'll just write the rest of this post. By the time I'm done with nearly a week's worth of chatter it will be time to draw a name.
Today I finally got that big basket of scraps emptied out. There was more than one moment in the past week that I feared I would never get there. A couple of times I wanted to cry 'Uncle!' But I soldiered on and finally mid-afternoon today I saw the very bottom of the basket. A sight that I have not seen since the day the basket came into the house and landed beneath my sewing table. I measured the size of the basket when it was at long last empty - 11" deep x 18" wide x 28" long - and it was jam packed with all sorts of goodies.
I culled from it this basket of odd shapes that will eventually become applique flowers, leaves, stems, stars, baskets, birds, hearts and on and on and on . . .
Interspersed throughout I found a nice assortment of fat quarters - 25 in all.
Another very happy stack of larger pieces of fabric that can go back on the bookcase shelves.
A variety of muslin pieces that I like to set aside for labels.
Some little piano key strips, HST's and a lone snowball for the orphan block box. Don't forget the 5" squares, 2 1/2" strips, 1 1/2" strips and 1" strips that I shared previously.
And with all the pressing and cutting, pressing and cutting, pressing and cutting, I came to the point where I just wanted to see the bottom of that basket. So I stopped cutting and just pressed, and pressed, and pressed and pressed some more. Leaving me with this stack of fabrics yet to cut down .Then there is the ironing board that started all the fun. Can you see that I had to add 2 more patches today? There was a lot of heat and steam going on this week. No worries, I keep the patches at the ready.
I want to say thank you to each and every one of you who played along with my silly little ironing board game. It has been so much fun going around having a peek at what you use. A few observations - many quilters have 3 different ironing boards in regular use; a lot of boards come equipped with a kitty cat; there are a lot of cute covers out there, but beauty isn't everything - we all just want a nice, functional space on which to work; and last but not least, it seems to be a rarity that garments come in contact with them.
Finally 8 p.m. has arrived.
I know I left a lot of comments and that said your name is in the hat . . . but I really used a bowl.
Hubby was more than happy to draw a slip for me.And the winner is . . . . . . . . . . . . .
MayBritt at Abyquilt. Congratulations! I just need MayBritt to send me an email with her address and I'll get her prize on it's way.

31 comments:

Karen said...

Your scrap basket contents now have some order to it all. Want my scraps to add to them? I am going to be cutting into mine some more but they get tiring after a while.

Quilting Pirate said...

YAH for Mary-Brit! It was fun seeing everyone's ironing board this week!

Amanda said...

Do you want to come to my house and iron/sort my scraps? I don't know about you, but I certainly would love it! I went through one (I have 6 scrap baskets sorted in colors and 1 tub with scraps that are too big to put into the scrap basket). I know this may sound stupid, but I have been so overwhelmed at times with my scraps that I have actually cried. It can be overwhelming looking at all of it, and wondering when in your lifetime are you going to use it all.

Congratulations to Mary-Brit! It was fun to see everyones ironing boards.

Carin said...

That is a huge basket you emptied. Good job! It has been fun to see all the links to peoples blogs and all the fun things they have on them. Thanks Libby!(even if I didn't win :O( )

Lea said...

Wow, Great job for emptied your scrap basket!
The Iron board award was very fun idea. Congrats, Mary-Brit!

May Britt said...

Among 82 comments you picked me :) Lucky me. I'm going to workshop today and are bringing my Ikea ironing board.
One empty scrap basket. I guess you fill it up very fast LOL

Stina said...

Wow...good job!!! I wish I get caught of that "infection" you got...;D Im impressed!
It was really fun to see everyones ironingboards!!

Congratulations to you May Britt !

Sew Create It - Jane said...

That was fun..and such an original idea to get us all to show our ironing boards. I enjoyed seeing what everyone else used too and noticed the same things you did...especially that we tend not to use them for clothing!! LOL
Thanks for running the challenge.

Screen Door said...

Love the scrap reproduction. Congrats to May Britt....She must be livin' right!!!!Great basket...

Vicki W said...

What a great amount you accomplished this week! I'd sure like to see an empty basket or two in my sewing room! LOL!

Shelina said...

Congratulations to May Britt. It was a fun contest. Congrats on getting your scrap basket cleaned out. I wonder how long it will take for you to fill it up again. LOL

I know I'm late, but I did post my ironing board today. http://shelinascreations.blogspot.com/2008/03/ironing-board.html

Beth said...

That is a nice assortment of scraps you culled from that scrap basket! You could make quite a few things from that alone! Good job! LOL My ironing board comes equipped with a kitty. My Talula has her own little blanket on the end I don't use and that's where you'll find her most of the time.

Carole said...

Congrads to May Britt! I had a fun time looking at everyone's ironing board. Thanks for doing this!

julieQ said...

Wow! Sounds like a treasure trove. Those "orphan" pieces will make a lovely quilt! Congratulations to May Britt!

Kim said...

Can you come make some sense out of my scraps now?! ROFLOL! And congrats to May Britt!

Finn said...

A big hurray for May being the lucky winner, and an even bigger HURRAY for you...getting that job completed(or nearly completed)..at least the basket IS empty!!
And I think you have a lovely assortment of things to make new projects from.
Are you planning on trying to keep the basket updated now that you've emptied it??? *VBG* that's a hard one, isn't it???
The ironing board challenge was a great idea, even if I didn't participate...good for you for thinking of it!
Can't wait to see more quilts. Hugs, Finn

Paula said...

Congratulations on reaching the bottom of the basket! It's tough work, but you'll be glad you did it when it comes time to work with those strips!

Judy said...

Those [pictures are deceptive, that's one big basket!! Did you dump the scrap bags we got in there too? I have one plastic tote with those scraps, a whoel shopping bag and now the new basket compliments of your idea. Hopefully it won't get that full.

Very cool that it's almost done, and you should get tons of scrap quilts out of the whole bundle left over. I'm glad you kept even the smallest pieces since sometimes all you need is a small piece for a flowers and scraps work fabulous for that!! Good job!

Lucy said...

Congratulations May britt. Unfortunately i was too late. otherwise I won ;-) *LOL*

Libby I love your new header picture! I would love to see the whole quilt. This part is stunning.

Marilyn R said...

Congrats on getting that scrap basket emptied! It's always fun to play with fabric!

Wendy said...

Wow that's a big job to sort through all those scraps of fabrics. I bet you'll make a quilt using them.

Congrats to the lucky winner.

Ginger Patches said...

Cleaning out that scrap basket is quite an accomplishment! I need to do mine...thanks for the inspiration :)

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Wow, I am so impressed with all the stashbusting and organizing going on there, I just can't wait to see all the yummy quilts that come out of this productive sorting, Tracey

Rose said...

Good work, Libby! I have a tub of scraps that I will have to get to one of these days. You have done a marvelous job with yours.

I thought of entering your contest but my ironing board cover is brand new. I thought that would be a bore!
I did wonder though how you can keep the water stains from coming through onto your fabric as you press?? That being the reason for a new cover on mine.

Congratulations May Britt!!

Valerie said...

Congrats Mary-Brit! I wish I had played along. Maybe next time.

Kairle said...

You've really accomplished a lot of sorting this week. Congratulations to you and May Brit!

Dawn said...

Oh yeah for May-Britt! I"m so glad you got that scrap basket empty, now you can fill it up again! You should see my string bag - it is overlfowing. Time for me to make some mroe string blocks!

gwen said...

Congratulations to Maybritt and to you for finding the bottom of the basket! The game was a lot of fun and I visited some very interesting blogs through your challenge. Thanks and take care.

Chrissie said...

I haven't been by in a while! I guess I missed the giveaway - meh! but I congratulate you on your success with the ironing! I spent 6 hours one rainy day and conquered mine - I couln't believe I had collected so much in just a few months!!! Now - to the cutting board!
Congrats to May-Brit!
God bless!
Chrissie

Lisa Boyer said...

Congrats on seeing the bottm of your basket! I LOVE the rail fence quilt! The colors in it are wonderful.

Fiona @ Dragonfly-Crafts said...

Hi Libby, found you through May Britt's blog. I saw the beautiful quilt she won on your giveaway.
Does it have a pattern name.
I just love it.
Thanks Fiona