Tuesday, February 12, 2008

We are all familiar with the saying, 'The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.' It certainly has become the case for me this week. We'll have no new quilt on our bed for Valentine's Day this year. The top is complete; the back is pieced; I don't have batting large enough. I keep a roll of queen-size batting on hand that has always fulfilled my every batting need. But Fever measures larger than the 90" width of the roll. I will be at the quilt shop tomorrow and I'll pick up a package of king-sized batting then.
In the meantime, I've begun work on Williamsburg Medallion a pattern by Marie at Patchalot More. I chose an applique pineapple from a Linda Brannock pattern for the center of my medallion. This has been a very fun pattern to use - easy to read and clearly laid out - go check out all of Marcie's patterns.
There was a touch of excitement in our neighborhood last night. Someone cut the corner, hit the fire hydrant and sent a geyser shooting into the sky and flooding the street. Hubby said he heard the 'thud' and squealing tires while we were having dinner, but when I didn't say anything he figured it was nothing. While we were cleaning up, I went to the garage to put things in the recycling and it sounded like there was a running car in our driveway. Curiosity got me, I popped open the garage door and saw many of my neighbors in the street watching the show.We had low water pressure in the house for a bit. Today all that remains is some wetness in the street. It was sad to see all that water just running into the drain. No one was injured so a little loss of water isn't so bad in the long run.

29 comments:

Marilyn R said...

I love you take on the Williamsburg Medallion. The pineapple applique is great design feature!

Julia said...

As usual this is going to be another great quilt. I love your style.

A little excitement for the day.

paula, the quilter said...

The medallion quilt is beautiful. Pineapples have always been welcoming, you know. Of course you know!

Laura said...

I love your little medallion quilt!

Nicole said...

Beautifulwork on the Williamsburg medallion. What a crazy happening in your neighborhood!

Guðrún said...

This block is so Libby, beautiful.

Finn said...

Hi Libby, how wonderful that Fever is to the 'needing a batt' stage! It truly is one BIG quilt, but will be so beautiful on your bed.
Love what you are doing with Marcie's pattern. So much fun! Hugs, FinP.S. I keep forgetting to tell you DD#1 gave me the 301 Country Christmas patterns book for Christmas along with another season of The Walton's. Aren't I just the luckiest girl???

Beth said...

It must be Run Into a Fire Hydrant with Your Car Week, Sharon had one on her blog too! That has to be really embarrassing! Love your pineapple medallion quilt! See you Saturday?

paula, the quilter said...

How serendipitous! Look at today's post over at Pine Ridge Quilter. She has a pic of a wonderful pineapple quilt.

Marcie said...

Oh Libby, I am squealing with delight! Now I want to do your version too! I knew this was gonna happen! I love it!

Carol said...

Libby I love your Medallion for Marcie's quilt design..how wonderful! Lots of geysers in CA...

Crazy for Primitive Quilts & Gardens said...

Really pretty block! Love your color selection. Looks like it is a fun one to do.

Cheryl said...

The Williamsbury Medallion is lovely. I really like the appliqued pineapple in the center. It gives the block such a pop.

Lea said...

Oh, Libby...Libby.... You did it again, a wonderful work on Marcie's pattern!!!
I really love your idea with Linda's applique. and colors are so perfect. I adore your work!

Wendy said...

Your version of the Medallion is spectacular as usual. I love how you make each pattern your own with these little touches.

Can't wait to see Fever all quilted and on your bed.

kjquilts said...

Love your version of the medallion quilt!

yellowfarmhouse said...

Love what your doing with the Medallion quilt. You have a wonderful eye for fabric and great ideas.

Glad no one was hurt in the little incident at the end of your street.

Hugs - karen

Judy said...

Lost the first comment...arggh.

Love the quilt. very pretty so far...can't wait to see what you do on the rest of it! Very cool excitement!

Beth said...

You've been tagged!

ohiofarmgirl said...

Your quilts are so beautiful...I am self taught but I have never made a full size quilt but I love looking at yours! Dianntha

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I love your block. That is beautiful. Hitting the fire hydrant yesterday must have been in the air huh?? I couldn't believe the one I saw here in town. I thought the same as you, how sad to see all that water wasted.
Can't wait to see you Sat.

Angie said...

Oh, I do LOVE it, Libby!!! It's just wonderful, and I bet Ms. Marcie is THRILLED with what you did with her pattern!!! :D

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Your new quilt is wonderful! I love the colors, you simply pick the best colors Libby :O)...

Rose said...

Very pretty block, Libby! I love the all the homespun colors you use in your work.

Glad no one was injured in the fire hydrant accident. It is a shame about the water. We had a kid wipe out on the snow and he took out the corner of a church. To make it worse they had a new, just donated organ, sitting in that corner and the organ was destroyed in the accident. The driver was fine though so that was a blessing.

Perry said...

Your medallion is really looking good. The applique is a nice touch. Geysers must be an in thing in California this week, lol. I agree, a total waste of precous water.

KCQuilter said...

Oh, Libby, this quilt is going to be absolutely STUPENDOUS!!! Love the pineapple center. And a geyser in your neighborhood?? how unique LOL! No need to go to Yellowstone.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Oh, my goodness... a geyser! I'm happy to learn there were no injuries; we're close to rationing water here, so the thought of all that wasted water just running down the drain is disheartening. The Wmsburg Medallion is fantastic, great job with that; you Libby-tized it and made it your own!

Dawn said...

Oh my gosh! I LOVE that pineapple in the center of Marcie's quilt. Dang - I want to do yours now and not come up with a new one for Marcie! Oh I love it!

lil said...

love your blog and that's why I tagged you, hope you don't mind

Lil