Monday, March 17, 2008

Hope everyone is enjoying their St. Patrick's Day. We celebrated early - corned beef and eggs for breakfast - a very delicious treat for sure and far more visually appealing than the green beer that is being served in the Irish pubs downtown.
I'll be celebrating National Quilting Day today and tomorrow - no time to sew over the weekend. So far today I finished stitching together the top with the Dresden Plates. I'll add an outer border and it will be ready to layer and quilt.Speaking of 'layer and quilt,' the time has come for me to pay the piper. Seems I have been very lackadaisical recently about getting my tops quilted and bound. Certainly not my usual M.O. I have only actually completed a couple of quilts this year but I have this top, and this top, and this top ready to go. The time is now and I plan to spend the remainder of my quilting time this week getting to work on finishing these projects.
In addition, my Four Seasons Swap spring swap piece is progressing. I have added some other elements to the border since this photo was taken and I'm ready to begin quilting it as well. I don't normally cut the scalloped border until after the quilting, but I just couldn't seem to visualize where to place things when it was square. So I just grabbed my scissors and cut away. Seems to have worked out okay.
Poor Harper is a little grumpy about the garden work that is being done. She enjoys spending a sunny afternoon with her nose poked between the pickets watching the comings and goings in the green belt below.
Last year we fought squirrels all summer long. Hubby installed a bit of rabbit wire along the bottom of the picket fence to deter them passing in and out. Well, they just used that wire as a step ladder to hop on over the bottom rail, come on in and dine on my garden. There will be no more of that! This year Hubby installed screen above the rabbit wire. Thwarts the squirrels but my girl can't look out her fence into 'The Promised Land' What she doesn't realize is that soon there will be little plants growing in that dirt and she won't be allowed to lay there any more either. Good thing I keep the treat jar well stocked in an effort to make up for her inconvenience.

34 comments:

Amanda said...

The quilts you showed are beautiful. You do such great work.

I went to Abyquilt's (May Brit?)to see what she won after she posted about her ironing board. The quilt you gave her is beautiful!!

I wrote a funny post about my scraps after seeing your scraps. I haven't posted it, yet, but I plan to, soon. You have done wonderful things with your scraps. You give me hope! lol

Take care!

Amanda

Quilt Memories said...

Poor Harper, nothing is going his way, I may have to "stear" him when I get Hannes!!!LOL J

Quilt Memories said...

Sorry I can't seem to spell either, I meant "steal"

kjquilts said...

Love your display around the dresden plates. I really love your little swap quilt! How cute!

Perry said...

Your improvisation on your quilt is cute. Squirrels are really insidious creatures, that's for sure. I hope you have solved that problem. Poor Harper, I feel sorry for him.

Catherine said...

Love your Dresden Plates. And your Four Seasons swap quilt is looking fabulous!

May Britt said...

Poor Harper :) Playing with squirrels had to be fun for him last year. I guess it's the smell of Harper that makes my Frida loves your eh...my quilt. She is always smelling at it.
Your dresdens are beautiful.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

The dresden plates look great, have always wanted to make these, but they look like they are a lot of work....

loulee1 said...

I can almost taste those starwberries. Your plates look great too.

Screen Door said...

Who could resist plaid strawberries?!?!? The dresden plates turned out beautifully.

dee said...

Oh Libby! Another adorable quilt. It should be no surprise anymore because you are so consistent. The strawberries are so sweet and I've always wanted to try scalloped edge. You are fearless.
Poor Harper looks so dejected. She needs a special treat.

Sølvi said...

Your dresden plates looks so good.

Dawn said...

Ooo poor Harper needs to come nose around with Chloe in our yard. There are lots of wildlife smells to keep them busy! Wouldn't Harper just love smelling deer, and rabbits and coyote's and mice!

Dawn said...

Oh I forgot, I love your spring swap quilt!

Stina said...

Sweet, sweet strawberries...mmmm...summer is near...for a moment though...thanks for letting my mind wander away from all the snow!!...;D You are incredible...!! Your dresdens are going to be beautiful!
Take care...

Knot Garden said...

The Dresden plates look lovely with that sashing.
Your strawberry applique is so sweet!

Darlene said...

You're always making such wonderful projects. Tell Harper to just chase those varmints out of her yard. LOL

ROZ said...

I love the flower basket so much! And your doggy looks so much like our old dog, Rufus. Rufus passed away in '98.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

You have so many wonderful quilt tops to finish up :O)..
Your spring swap quilt is coming along so nice, I can't wait to see it all done, someone is going to be thrilled!

I understand on the rabbit thing, over the weekend DH and I put chicken wire across the back of the garden fence, there were several places the rabbits had figured a way in last year! I have been watching my baby kale plants very close!

paula, the quilter said...

The strawberry basket spring quilt top is so cute. You are way farther along than I; I just started cutting out the pieces and parts. But I'm looking forward to the weekend already!

Guðrún said...

Great quilts like always.

Wendy said...

I love your strawberry basket and Dresden plate. I've just been thinking about trying a miniature one.
We have too many trees around to keep the squirrels out. They are good climbers so you still might see them getting in.

Valerie said...

The quilts are just beautiful. I am just beginning to learn to quilt. I hope to finish one some day.

Marilyn R said...

The Dresden plates look fantastic! The stawberries are sweet - I wish strawberries were in season now! I have Spring fever!

Lea said...

Gee, You done so much! I love your Spring swap quilt. It's soooo cute! and your dresden plates is beautiful. can't hardly wait it's finished !

yellowfarmhouse said...

Love that dresdan plate quilt and that sashing is really a neat idea. Of course the display around it is a great idea as well. I see your using my favorite "wool" on your darling swap quilt. Very cute :)

Poor Harper - someone needs a hug :)

Happy Spring - Karen

Clare said...

I think your quilts are lovely - which pattern did you use for the tops still to quilt, that has the 2 cats on it?

Clare

Susie said...

Your quilts are lovely. We have rabbits behind the fence in the green belt, but in the 30+ yrs we've been here, I've never seen one come in the yard. Perhaps they get enough to eat in the open fields?
Glad you have plenty of treats for Harper :)
xo

Diane said...

I tried to predict what you'd put in your spring swap basket but I was waaaaaaaaaay wrong. The strawberries are charming! Hope you are keeping some for yourself.

Yvonne said...

I love your dresden plates and I was happy to redrool over your quilts in waiting. :)

May Kristin said...

Your Dresden Plates are so cute!And your strawberries..., may i have some, please? Just took a look out of my window, can you believe it, it's snowing!?! I'm done with that!

lil said...

both of the quilts are beautiful
I cross my fingers, maybe I'm the happy one who gets the 4SQ

Linda_J said...

any of those tops would be a pleasure to quilt, Libby. The basket quilt is turning out nicely for the spring seasonal swap, if I remember correctly?

Appropriate choice that reminds me that I was hoping to make a little basket/floral quilt-let for a seasonal wallhanging insert. Once that rabbit comes down it would be that boring old house block till the US flag would be put to use.

I hope y'all win the battle with the squirrels this year, with or without Harper's assistance. What a good dogger!

Terry@quilt-nut said...

Poor doggy, I'm sure he will find another comfort spot. Love the quilt. The scalloped edge seems a little hard to do. I've never tried one. Maybe I should. Terry