Thursday, March 13, 2008

Remember that unseasonably warm weather from a couple of days ago? Like Elvis, it has left the building. I am trying to not be melancholy over it - I know that come August, I will be complaining mightily, when the mercury reaches the exact same spot, that I am too hot. In order to keep spring (or the hope of spring) alive, I have started work on my spring piece for the Four Seasons Quilt Swap.I am using a pattern by Cheri Payne as my inspiration. When I pulled out the pattern, I discovered that the finished size would not meet the swap guidelines. So I resized the center block and I'm working out some ideas for sprucing up that border.
Another way I am working at keeping the hope of spring alive is by starting my very own pineapple plantation. Okay, it's not exactly a plantation . . . but I do hope to have success with one plant.
Lisa Boyer shared a photo of a mature pineapple plant the other day and I was inspired to give growing one of my very own a try. Did you know that pineapples are a member of the bromeliad family? I have made an attempt at this once before but never got a mature plant. I got far enough to plant in soil and then I just neglected to care for it properly. This is why I am a better quilter than gardener. When I temporarily lose enthusiasm for a quilt it will wait . . . plants just die.
Good news for any of you who happen to be fans of Gilmore Girls. Amy Sherman Palladino, that show's creator, has a new show joining the Fox lineup tomorrow night. I'm so excited that I already have my dvr set to record pilot episode of The Return of Jezebel James. I have great hopes that the show will be as smartly written and sharply acted as Gilmore Girls. Parker Posey is the star and is always such a hoot in the Christopher Guest movies.
Shelina tagged me with 'You Make My Day' award. How very sweet of her. It is so flattering to be selected . I am terrible at passing these awards along - I don't want to single out just a few when each of you make my day. So if you are reading this, know that I have tagged you.You make my day.

23 comments:

Quilt Memories said...

I have visions of pineapples every where around you on your plantation!!!Surely a few from this plant... How long should it take to grow a plant large enough to yield pineapples...Just curious.. I love the block, but then you always do quilts I am very envious of..
Thanks fot your comment on my blog, I am not handleing all this very well. I think I would be ok if the gd's pic hadn't been taken.
But guess we have done all we can, so hopefully since we live so far away, I don't have anything to worrt about.Say a prayer for us that she will always be safe...J

Finn said...

I'm with J at quilt memories..I can just see you in a straw hat, walking your fields of pineapple trees(?)bushes(?)...just blur that part of the picture a bit *VBS*
Good luck with the sprouting! And keep faith, spring will come. That was just a tease last week. Hugs, Finn

Beth said...

I can tell your swap partner this time is going to be one lucky person, just like I was for the winter swap!

I have seen baby pineapple plants at Home Depo before, they had one single pineapple on them, they were so cute! LOL

Stina said...

Thats why I´m so envy of you living in other countries...just the thought of a pinapple plant or plantation...wow...I´m happy if my potatoes grow...;D
And your spring swap comes along fine...looking very good so far..as all you do...;D..
I love Cheris patterns..
Take care...

Guðrún said...

I hope your spring hasn´t gone away
for many days.

Carin said...

Good luck with the pineapple. I didn't even know you could grow them like that.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Congrats on your award! Well deserved. I, too, was ogling Lisa's pineapple plant-- they are stunning to look at as well as delicious to eat. Good luck with yours. I can't wait to see how you fill your spring basket, it will be lovely~ no doubt!

gwen said...

The pineapple project looks very interesting. I did not know either that you could grow them like that.
The 4SSQ looks really nice, as usual. Will you make the scalloped borders too. Take care.

Karen said...

If you are like me, you would be better off doing a pineapple quilt or doing a pineapple applique. I have no green thumb.

Ginger Patches said...

I am soooo excited about that show!! We own all the Gilmore Girls episodes
and I was so bummed when it ended. Such clever writing!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Nice start to your block...look forward to seeing the completed version....

Lea said...

I'm very curious about this pineapple plant....:-) Please up date about how it grow.*S*

Oh, already I can tell that your Spring swap quilt going to be a wonderful!
Your skill with Cheri's pattern, That's a top notch thing!

CONNIE W said...

Libby, I love Gilmore Girls so thanks to you I now know about the new show you mentioned. Thanks. I hope I don't forget to watch or to set the recorder.

Lisa Boyer said...

Good luck with your little pineapple! I wish I could offer advice, but all I know is that you stick it in the ground and it grows! Hee hee...it's pretty low maintenance, you just have to keep the wild pigs away from it. Oh...and it's unpleasantly stickery! My husband only plants single plants far apart because they poke you to death trying to get at them. Highly unpleasant...but the pigs don't seem to mind!

Wendy said...

Good luck with growing the pineapple. The new swap quilt looks like fun.
Congrats on the award, you are a sweet person.

Marilyn R said...

Good luck with your pineapple quilt! Your spring quilt progress will be fun to watch!

Dawn said...

I like the looks of it so far! And to think, I was happy because of our balmy weather - at least my 6.5 foot snowdrift is down to about 4.5 feet!

Perry said...

I didn't know you could grow pineapples that way. I will have to try this. We will all be gripping about hot weather soon I have the feeling, lol.

Carole said...

I cannot wait to see what you do with the swap quilt! I have a friend who is also growing a pineapple. Unfortunatly, it cannot be planted in our neck of the woods and therefore remains a "house plant." Today we had a beautiful spring day! Keep well!

atet said...

Good luck with the pineapple. I've got something of a black thumb these days so I love seeing folks who can actually make things grow :0). Love the spring swap piece so far and the little kitty piece you showed and the sweet memories of those two cats. Too funny!

yellowfarmhouse said...

I'd say that your new swap quilt looks like it's off to a great start. Who ever receive it is a lucky person. Congrats on your award :)

Hugs - karen

Grazia said...

Your spring panel for the quilt swap looks very cute!!!
Who will be the lucky one????
Ciao ciao
Grazia

Karen said...

You know I actually think this is absolutely gorgeous the way it is !