Thursday, March 06, 2008

Sometimes Hubby calls me a snob. He means no harm in it. If the truth were to be told, he is right. It's because he doesn't just call me a snob, he says that I am a 'Flower Field Snob.' You see, I grew up in Lompoc, a little agricultural town on California's central coast. It was once known as The Flower Capital of the World - more flowers were grown for seed than anywhere else. Among the varieties grown are stock, sweet peas (my favorite) and nasturtiums. If you can find nothing else nice to say about Lompoc, it smells good.
We lived outside the city limits, a short drive up a canyon on the west side of town. On the left side of this photo you can see a splotch of white, a fire break cut into the hill near our house. So you get an idea of what my trip to the school bus stop was like each spring. I don't remember being told, but I knew I was never allowed to go into the fields to pick flowers, but some strays always managed to grow outside the boundary. Those I gladly picked to fashion into a little bouquet for my teacher in the morning or my mom in the afternoon.In addition to flowers, edible crops are grown as well; beans, artichokes, asparagus to name a few. These 'pinquitos' are an important part of 'Santa Maria style-barbecue' I remember in the 60's and 70's, crewel embroidery was very popular and many women were collecting empty bean sacks to practice their embroidery stitches on. It was the rare business that did not sport a framed example of this handiwork.
I never really thought about how wonderful all those fields were or how lucky I was to enjoy them during my growing up years. That is until this little touristy spot opened up near where I currently reside. One 50 acre plot where they have the NERVE to charge $9 a head to walk along the furrows and look at the flowers. It's a beautiful sight as you drive along the freeway, but I don't think I will ever be able to open my wallet in order to walk the fields for a closer look - it is only one field afterall. It is a great place for student field trips. With so little agriculture in this very urban region, it's a great way for kids to learn about the work involved in farming.
Instead I'll save my cash and look for flowers all around. Harper and I took a short walk around the neighborhood and came upon all these little pretties. There's ice plant, vinca vine and even a few weeds.






I'll take the name Flower Field Snob and wear it proudly as I look for beautiful blooms wherever I go.

29 comments:

Linda said...

Oh my, how lucky you were to grow up surrounded by such beautiful blooms. $9 a head, I'd be keeping my wallet closed too.....

Catherine said...

Wow -- what a great place you grew up in! Thank you for sharing all these gorgeous pictures of flowers. With the threat of yet another snow storm here, they give me hope that spring will arrive some day. I hope.

I wouldn't pay $9 either! Wow, that's pretty steep to just walk among the flowers.

Lisa Boyer said...

I remember Lompoc! What beautiful memories to have of childhood. Your post made me really miss California--the Mexican culture and food, the rolling hills, the smell of eucalyptus trees...it will always be home to me.

Beth said...

My favorite flowers are sweet peas too! Every year my dad used to plant a huge row of them for me. I don't know what he fed them, but those things would get about 8 feet tall and just be loaded with blooms. They were usually planted right outside my bedroom window too.

Jeanne said...

Such gorgeous flowers! Thanks for sharing.

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Those pictures are so beautiful and a welcome sight for my winter weary NH soul. We have so much snow here and I don't think I'll be seeing a flower for a while.

paula, the quilter said...

Thanks for the touch of Spring! We are starting to have warmer days, but no green yet.

Stina said...

Lucky you...the colours...mmmm lovely!! Thanks for sharing this...When I look out...it´s all white...I do need a splash of colour!!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Wow...stunning.....

Bren said...

How fun to read of where you grew up and to picture you picking bougets on the outside boundry of the fields. Sometimes being a snob is a good thing!!

yellowfarmhouse said...

WOW that is beautiful - what a wonderful place that would have been to grow up and be surrounded by. Stunning


Happy Weekend - karen

Quilt Memories said...

What beautiful flowers! I guess the people who own the fields and want to charge $9.00 a person has forgotten how important it is for us to "stop and smell the flowers",
I would never spend that much to walk through someone else property, It's just not right!J

Dawn said...

Oh I love the flowers you found! Sooo pretty! We won't be seeing flowers like that for quite long time yet here!

Lea said...

Oh, Lovely flower pictures.... Sounds so fun to be in the area. :-)
I love flowers because it remind me of my grandma. She has a wonderful green thumb.*S*

dee said...

what a bright beautiful start to my day you gave me. How wonderful to live in a place with flower fields like that. My late MIL Dot started a sweet pea garden in the front of our house. It's still there but kind of sparse lately. They are my favorites, along with the Lily of the Valley that grows all around the base of them. I could sit ther all day just inhaling the scent.

Eileen said...

Oh, does this take me back. Having been raised in the California valley and spent a few years before the big war on the coast. Wonderful pictures. At least some of them are still there. Wonderful memories.

Knot Garden said...

beatiful flower photos, what amazing colours!

Julia said...

What an enchanting place to live. My little boy is always picking me a bouquet of wild daisies that grow all around the area. There is nothing more precious than a bouquet of flowers picked by a child!

Mar said...

What wonderful memories! and yes we do have another thing in common, Sweet Peas are MY favorite flower! I would not open my wallet to them either. I'll join you in the snob field!

Carin said...

your flowers are beautiful!!!

Diane said...

How great to see such beautiful spring flowers. We're getting more snow tonight in the midwest!

gwen said...

You took very nice pictures without having spent $9. More money to give out for fabric! Sweet peas are a favorite of mine too and I like cosmea very much too. Take care.

Karen said...

Gorgeous flower pictures!

Terri said...

I live by that other place! LOL I drive by there twice a day on my way to and from work. It is a glorious place to look upon (I especially love the American Flag portion). I've never paid to go look either, but I sure do love to go "look" at the outlet stores that are there! :)

Judy said...

Very pretty flowers, no way I'd pay either to see manufactured rows.

Carole said...

No sound of spring in my neck of the wood! Then again, I haven't digged in the snow far enough to see any form of green life! I am looking for those signs! Strange how it's only in recalling our youth that we remember the beauty of it all! Lovely quilts you have been making for your scrap basket. Can I send you my basket? ;o) Thank you for sharing!

Carole said...

ps: my favourite flowers are sweet peas, snapdragons, tulips, lilacs and sun flowers! All are number one on my list! ;o)

Carole said...

ps: hum... I just realized that my previous list wasn't fair to my other flowers that are also number one! I love all flowers! I have a garden that I have decided to allow only wild flowers to grow, that is those brought by the birds and what not! It still needs more work! ;o)

Katie said...

Sigh..... how lovely. :-)