Thursday, April 17, 2008

The extreme temperatures of the weekend have gone away and now we are enjoying some very lovely weather. I'm trying to make the most of it because all too soon it will be a distant memory. We are about to enter the gray days of spring. In our area, the months of May and June are marked with days of marine layer (fog) that sits on top of us and rarely if ever lets the sun shine through until July. It can be quite depressing for some. I have nearly always lived in a coastal area and thankfully the weather does not affect me in that way.
All of this warm sunshine continues to bring changes to the yard and garden. We now have blossoms on the pepper plants and there are signs that blossoms on tomatoes will not be far behind. The flowers on the lavender are bringing bees every day. I wonder where their hive is at - I bet the honey will be delicious.
This little fella has set up camp here. I think his egg may have been partially cracked before he hatched. It all started as a relentless *tap tap tap* that I kept hearing on Monday afternoon.Just at the point of being at my wit's end from the annoying sound, I went out to find the source. The little genius is fighting himself in the mirror leaned up against the fence. This picture is taken through the screen in an attempt to catch him in action. He pecks and pecks, then flies onto the bedstead or the top of the fence to chirp and chirp his triumph. I would have thought his beak would be sore by now, but he has been out there from sun-up to sundown every day.
In my wanderings, I found this little guy on the fence. I hope he brought friends. For the last couple of years I have been adding plants and flowers to attract butterflies to the yard. This is a good sign that I am going to have butterflies for sure this year.
Indoors, I started the next quilt from Prairie Children and Their Quilts this week. The fabrics have been cut and on the table ready to go since I did all the scrap cutting. This is The Mourning Quilt and is made up of black crosses.
No matter how hard I concentrate, I always mess up blocks that require directional placement. Out of 9 blocks, I had to take 5 of them apart. I do not catch on quickly.
I came home from the quilt shop last night with these fabrics for a new project that is a surprise and has a deadline. I won't be able to share much more until after it's complete and with its new owner.
Did I say, 'Deadline'? Better get busy.

23 comments:

Stina said...

Cross my fingers for the butterflies to come to your place...
Love to see some more from that book...Have been looking for it for some time now...really want to buy it...
And a new secret project...;D...deadlines are the best to help one finish...
Good luck

Lindah said...

No doubt about it, deadlines make me more efficient! :-) YOur new fabrics look very intriguing.
And you have blossoms on your peppers already! How early can you plant? We set out tomatoes March 3 last year here in the north end of the Sac Valley, but it was too iffy this year. Had to wait another couple weeks.
Aren't seam rippers wonderful! My best friend.

Screen Door said...

You'll have to photo the blossoms for the rest of us to wish over.....

Karen said...

Your block from Prairie Children intrigues me. I must check out the book...at least I think it is a book.
I am amazed that your temperature got up to 91 degrees!
Love the nature pictures you have posted.

Patti said...

For several springs and summers we had a woodpecker who was determined to peck a hole in our metal chimney cap. He'd peck away for an hour or more several times a day. He must have had one tough beak!

Sweet P said...

What a cute little fella. I hope he doesn't keep bothering you.

I'll be hoping for butterflies for you.

Guðrún said...

I would go crazy to have the fog for that long time.

Joyce said...

Your place must be like a park. We have no green here yet but soon.
Deadline! Yikes!

Chocolate Cat said...

What a little cutie! Hope he doesn't do himself any damage.

Marilyn R said...

Birds can be a lot of fun to watch. They can do some goofy things. Your block looks great! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to unsew from time to time!

Susie said...

Such pretty fabrics. We live close to the water too and it's often we don't see the sun till noon. Then the afternoon is nice and warm. By evening it's usually cooling off. It's our own built in air conditioning!
xo

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I have the worst time with directional fabrics when there is a deadline. In fact, I should know better. I'm quite the expert, graduate level degree, with a seam ripper! I hope your little mirror-challenged friend moves on and gives his sore little beak a rest. LOVE your strawberry header!!

Julia said...

There was a little bird like that around here one year. He keep coming to my windows and kept pecking away, it drove me crazy! lol Are those deadline fabrics from the Prairie Paisley line? This looks like it will be a fun quilt! I don't think that the fog would bother me all that much.

Stephanie said...

Maybe the little guy will give up soon! It's easy for me to be amused--I don't have to listen to him.

Sure hope your efforts in the butterfly direction pay off!

Karen said...

Oh, the mourning blocks look quite the part, very antique-y.

Catherine said...

Ooh -- I hope you get lots and lots of butterflies. They are so gorgeous to watch. Hope the bird finds something else that attracts his attention soon.

Linda said...

So nice to see sunny yard photo's, cute little bird, they can be very entertaining. Love you header photo, very mouth watering.

Charlotte said...

I clicked on your blog because of the name. My all time best friend - for about 60 years -- last name was Libby before she married. And we both lived in southern California. She's in Oregon now and I'm in AZ.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh he is a cute bird! But the noise would drive me crazy!

Marcie said...

I love that quilt in the Prairie Children book. I sure hope you can learn the secret of assembly. I expect primitive from you, but come on now. LOL! Cute little bird brain.

Bren said...

Lots of friends visiting your back yard!!!
I love the Prairie Children block. Things that go together easily may bring pleasure in the process, but things that challenge bring greater pleasure in the finish!

Finn said...

You may have to reverse the mirror for a while til he gets 'unchalleged'. Love the new beginnings. I'm still trying to get back to the Bear Paw I have cut out and not sewn as yet...LOL
Have fun! Hugs, Finn

Aldana said...

Is beautifull!!!
Congratulations!!!

http://manualidadesdealdana.blogspot.com