Monday, April 07, 2008

For several months now I have been thinking about purchasing a new digital camera. The one I had was quickly becoming a dinosaur in the fast moving age of mega pixels and optical zoom. I read with interest each time a blogger pal made a new purchase or received the gift of a camera. I surfed online electronic shops, read testimonials and comparisons. In the end, I could never quite justify the expense - even though my current camera had a hair-trigger of a power button causing it to eat through batteries faster than I could say Duracell - it still took very nice pictures.
Then 'IT' happened. After taking pictures for a blog post, I tried to hook up the USB cable. Nothing. The cable just fell to the floor. I tried again. Same thing. I got out a different cable. Still nothing. The plug had finally just worn out. Hubby and I talked it over. We weighed the cost of repairing a 5-year-old camera against the purchase of a new one. And the decision was made - time to buy a new camera.
More online searches and comparisons helped me narrow my search to only two cameras. Saturday morning we headed out to compare them in person. The store made it quite easy as the two choices were side by side. A few demonstrations and test shots later, we came home with a new camera.
It was quickly unpacked from the box and I started reading the first of three (3!) manuals.
Harper was curious as to what all the fuss was about and agreed to pose while I tried out some of the settings.

Lighting not so good.
Better - you can see how soft and fluffy her fur is. Trust me, she has the softest ears.
Okay, this is getting boring. Can we stop now?
Done. 'When you are quite through, I'd like to go outside and play.'

It's easy to see that the 'new' quickly wore off for Harper, but not for me. It's going to take a good long time to work my way through the 'advanced' user guide - remembering to remove the lens cap is still a challenge. In the end,I have to agree with Rick in Casablanca ' . . . . I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.'

23 comments:

Yvonne said...

Congrats on the new camera....sounds like a honey. Can't wait to see the fabulous photos you take with it. Harper is looking might fine!

Beth said...

Wow, nice camera, congrats! Harper looks just as cute as a bug's ear in all the pictures! Three manuals, wow! My husband just got a very nice Canon Rebel XT blah blah blah and he says I need to learn how to use it. No! It's scary! I have an older Canon something or other point and shoot that works just fine for me. Have fun!

paula, the quilter said...

Nice camera! We just bought a new one for CarGuy who has a propensity to take photos of people so they look like ants or are very, very blurry. One of the things I looked for in his camera was an anti-jiggle and ease of use. I, on the other hand, want one that I can swap out lenses on so I can use the screw-mount lenses from my film SLR. Muy expensive! In the meantime, I'll use my Kodak one that has the battery compartment duct-taped closed.

Guðrún said...

Wow this is a real camera. Congratulations.

Susie said...

I'm looking forward to all the great pictures I'm sure you'll be taking with your new toy!
It looks like a wonderful camera.
Harper posed very nicely!!
xo

Stina said...

Good luck with the new camera...love to hear what you think of it...my Nikon´s autofocus is not well at all...maybe I will have to buy him some new eyeglasses...;D...cause his nearsight is all blurry ...*LOL*...or maybe even worse...replace and bury him!...;D

Wendy said...

Oh boy a new toy, I can't wait to see lots more pictures. Harper is a sweet puppy.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

How much fun are you going to have....and Harper also played well with mummy.

yellowfarmhouse said...

Hey I new toy to have fun with and learn how to use. I'm still figuring out mine. Those pictures of Harper are just to cute. Someone wanted to play catch I think.

Hugs - Karen

Katie said...

New toys are so much fun. Shouldn't Harper have a new one too? LOL Great pics of great dog.

Karen said...

Camera looks great! That last photo of Harper looks like that drawing Emily Bronte did of her dog Keeper.

Stephanie said...

DH and I bought a Sony Cybershot about 18 months ago and I love it! It has the anti-jiggle thing, too,and lots more features I haven't figured out. It looks very much like yours, and it's great. But now I want a lightweight point and shoot digital to keep in my purse and whip out for unplanned shots in addition to the other.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Looks like we're in for some great photo treats here! Congratulations on your new toy. I love that last shot of Harper with her head resting on her front legs, she's gorgeous!

Katie said...

I love how she's smiling in the third photo! :-)

KCQuilter said...

Wow, congratulations on the new camera. Harper's photos are excellent! What a good helper you have there!!!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

new camera! cool beans, I too use a dinosaur camera and know that some day its going to die on me LOL... but until then LOL

Did you make the fabric basket that is in the post before this one? The one with your scraps in it? If so did you have a book/pattern? I am thinking you may have posted about making fabric baskets at some point? It caught my eye, so pretty!

Love the fabric bundle you purchased! Very nice...

Dawn said...

I"m still fighting with my new camera! Too many whistles. I still like the pics my old camera took better! Have fun!

Chocolate Cat said...

How exciting to have a new toy and such a fun one to play with! Am very impressed you are reading the manuals, I never quite get that far and then wonder why I don't know how to use it properly... Harper is gorgeous and a wonderful model, hope he was paid well!!

Cheryl said...

Harper is a sweetie!! What fun a new camera...those manuals can be a little intimidating :-), at least for me!!!

Lea said...

Congrats on your new camera!
I love the quote from Casabranca!*LOL*

Grazia said...

Congrats on your new camera!!!!
Harper doesn't seems to be interested.......it's a very lovely friend!!!!

Lisa Boyer said...

Congrats on your new baby! Good for you, reading the manuals. Keep at it, girl! You'll be a pro in no time. You make me yearn for a new camera myself...

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Simon and Chloe send their regards to Harper - she's very cute and soft looking. I'd love a new camera too, one day soon I hope, but I think I need a new fridge more than a new camera....