Wednesday, April 02, 2008

How in the world did it get to be April already? It seems like we were just getting the last of the Christmas decorations put away. (Truth be told - I still have one Christmas quilt hanging. It's not in an obvious spot. So it may just stay there all year long.) All of the April-must-do's are now done - taxes filed and The Princess' birthday gift is on it's way. I had a minor celebration at the post office yesterday when I realized that was the last gift I would be mailing to her overseas. WooHoo!
My email box was filled with the various quilt shop newsletters to which I subscribe. Until now I have managed to keep off the tote bag bandwagon, but one newsletter contained a bonus pattern for this little sweetie and I could no longer resist. Two fat quarters work into a nice bag that would be great for make-up in a travel kit.Two yards work out to be a nice size for the beach - sunscreen, book and mp3 player or a bag to bring home some produce from the Farmer's Market. Done up in the right colors any size would be a great little gift bag. It took hardly any time to stitch up. Since I'm not a big fan of wrapping gifts - this could be a great solution for me.
I still wanted to sit at the machine and do some fun, mindless sewing. So I dove into that basket of 1 1/2" strips and starting putting them together. Last week, Wendy at Snippets of a Quilter shared a wonderful quilt made up of rail fence blocks in vintage fabrics.
There is just something about simple blocks set on point that makes them even more desirable and cute. I'm just going to stitch strips together until I get bored and see where that takes me. While it will certainly have a different look with fabrics from my stash, I think it will make up into a great little quilt. Back to the machine for me.

28 comments:

Eileen said...

Cute bags Libby, and mindless sewing is what I did yesterday doing 4 patches for Bonnies. Orange Crush.

yellowfarmhouse said...

CA-UTE bags - I'm getting close to jumping on the band wagon for bags myself. There are so many cute ones out there. Can't wait to see what your quilt looks like. I loved the one that Wendy showed.

Happy Spring - karen

ROZ said...

I was thinking of some sort of log cabin myself, once I finish these 2 quilts I'm making.

Julia said...

I love making bags! They are so fun and you can never have to many. It's nice to have a few on hand for gifts too. Your's are darling! Can you share the pattern or tell us where to get it?
I love mindless sewing, the way I have been feeling lately, I love mindless anything. LOL

Carin said...

Your bags are darling! I love the ric rack handle on the little one.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

As I only took the tree down pre Easter you wont be hearing any criticism from me!! Lovely bags, I prefer them to wrapping as well.
The glass form your sister in law is lovely, well worth a swap.
I love the curved shape of your swap, interested to see the front, tracey

Pat said...

Love your bag. Is the pattern available. I can think of so many uses for it. I love the rick rack .

bumblebeebags said...

cute bags..keep em up!

loulee1 said...

Cute lil baggies.

Looking forward to the quilt.

Stina said...

My last christmasquilt went down just a week ago ...sooo I´m just a little ahead of you...and mine was rudolph the rednosed reindeer....quite obvious...;D
I love the way your bags turned out...seemed to be a really clever pattern...
Good luck on your new quilt!!
Take care..

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Yes Libby very cute bag...and I like that mindless sewing, it sounds so carefree!!!1

Screen Door said...

I love the fabric bags!!! Great job.

LBP said...

I LOVE your tote bags! They are really cute.

BTW, as I was dusting this past weekend I found some Christmas figurines on my chair rail in the den. Guess how long it has been since I dusted the chair rail! LOL

Linda

Carole said...

Cute bags! I think I'm overdue for mindless sewing! ;o) Thanks for sharing!

McIrish Annie said...

Love that little bag! can you share the pattern?? and love the idea of rail fence. really simple but so nice on point.

Marilyn R said...

I've been looking at bags more lately too. Yours look fantastic!

Finn said...

Grrrrrrrrr ATE bags! *VBS* And what fun beginning of a new quilt to treasure, have fun. Big hugs, Finn
Love the nursery rhyme...

Wendy K said...

Your little bags are really sweet. Mindless Sewing...??? I think all my sewing is mindless...lol!!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

cute totes!

I am behind on reading blogs due to school heating up for the end of the semester...

I love wisteria, its blooming now here as well :O)... I keep meaning to put in some at the base of a few trees, I will get to it eventually LOL :O)...

Angie said...

Cute, cute bags, girlfriend!! Is that a pattern that you can share???? ;) I can't wait to see how you work up your little strips!

Valerie said...

Oh those bags are great...I just love the first little tote, so cute! The fabric choices are wonderful.

I adore your taste Libby. I have to ask, because I think I'm a bit schitzofrenic when it comes to the style of my projects, do you ever get the urge do do something in pastels? Lol* I love your rich primitive taste, I just wish I could coordinate my home as lovely as you do! Instead I have one room filled with pastels and roses, one room vintage and antiques, and one room sort of primitive and warm...it ends up looking a bit hodge podge, like I couldn't decide what style I wanted to go with! Really, I guess I just can't! I love everything! :)

Guðrún said...

It will be interesting to see what comes out when you mix your mindless sewing and your scrap bin.

KCQuilter said...

Darling little bags!! And can't wait to see what your mindless sewing produces!!! I'm the same way---nothing more zen-like than sitting at the machine and humming aong.

Wendy said...

I think the bigger bag would be wonderful for all kinds of shopping. I'm into mindless sewing at times as well. The rail fence is so simple but looks great when done. I did about 80 blocks in a couple of hours.

Judy said...

Very cute bags! Wendy's quilt inspired quite a few of us...*g*

Yvonne said...

I see nothing wrong in leaving something Christmasy up all year. :) I love your bags and mindless sewing, oh yeah!

Grazia said...

OH!!!!! Your bags are so lovely!!!!!

Susie said...

I feel like I've lost a few months along the way. I still have Easter decorations up (no Christmas though)
:)
It feels like April with all this nice weather. Our daughter was in LA last week and said it was really warm..
xo