Monday, May 26, 2008

How I spent the three day weekend.
With The Princess soon returning to temporarily live with us, I needed to find a new place to store my quilting supplies. Seems that she is going to want to hang clothing in the closet of her bedroom. On Saturday, Hubby put up two new cabinets in the garage for just that purpose. Yesterday I tried to organize and move things in.
The first cabinet holds fabric. The second has just a little bit of everything - books, magazines, and patterns; UFO's and future projects; orphan blocks and left over bindings; batting scraps; along with notions of all sorts. The tops of both cabinets have storage bins with more of the same.
This quilt ladder found a new home in the dining room. Rather than a place to hold projects that are in progress, it now displays finished quilts.
This part of the backyard has always been an eyesore. While I have long wanted to improve its looks, I never knew just what to do. And it's easy to stay on the other side and not think about it.
I picked up a magazine at in the grocery store last week and found this article. Quick as can be I was on my way to my favorite junk store.
I'm not sure if these are from fences or banisters, but they will do the trick. The drawer will work just right for the planter box on top. This week I will work on moving that pile of rocks to make room for the raised bed box. I can hardly wait.
We even made time to see a movie . . . in the theater. We saw Young @ Heart. Unlike the latest installment of Indiana Jones, it's not playing on many screens. But if you can find it playing somewhere near you, please consider seeing it. It will make you laugh and cry, but it will remind you to live life to the fullest every day.
Which reminds me, earlier this month, I was tagged by Diane from California Girl in Oz to list 7 random facts about myself. I have been mulling it over and over in my mind all this time and finally it came to me just what I wanted to share.

1. I have never seen any of the Star Wars movies.
2. I have never seen any of the Indiana Jones movies.
3. I have never seen any of the Harry Potter movies.
4. I have never seen any of the Lord Of The Rings movies.
5. I have never seen any of the Die Hard movies.
6. I have never seen any of The Matrix movie.
7. I have never seen any of the Rambo movies.

This list has become a badge of honor to me over the years and I wear that badge with great pride. You can see that I am not one to go for big budget, special effect, trilogies and sagas. Just a nice little slice of life served up with some popcorn and a soda.
I hope you all have enjoyed your Memorial Day weekend. Please take just a moment to remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

24 comments:

paula, the quilter said...

The cabinet solution will work well. Also, think of the storage you will have when The Princess moves back out! As an aside: I have seen EVERY SINGLE ONE of the movies you haven't seen. That's not saying that I've paid attention while they are on!

floribunda said...

I tend to see the first movie in a series, and maybe the second... and that's it! But I haven't seen any of the Rambo, Matrix, Die Hard ones. We have vines growing on old window grates, and they work really well -- good luck with yours.

QuiltingFitzy said...

My *ahem* Princess moved in 2 weeks ago. Just kidding, she's a great 23yo. But holy cow, I had to move everything out of the guest room and into my sewing room. My sewing room is totally unsable. So I'm following your lead...

Can't wait to see what you're coming up with the railings!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Oh I like the ladder full of quilts :O)...

Ditto on the movies except Lord of the Rings, which I watched at home, we havent been to a theater in well mmm 25 yrs... LOL...

I can't wait to see what you do with your garden area, the pieces you selected for it have me waiting to see :O)

Mar said...

I've only seen a couple of the Star Wars movies, the other YUCK!! no thank you, altho I did read Lord of the Rings and enjoyed it. Can't wait to see what you do with the yard.

anne bebbington said...

The garden plan looks wonderful - can't wait to see it come to fruition. Love the quilts on the ladder

Stina said...

Have I missed you finish up some of those quilts??? They look so good on that ladder...
Can´t wait until you show us some fantastic gardeningideas...could I send you some photos of my garden...cause I need help...;D
And those movies...can live without them all!!

Eileen said...

Looks like you've had a very productive weekend. I haven't seen any of those movies either. You are not alone. Lke what you're doing to that spot in the back yard.

loulee1 said...

The garage! Your beautiful fabrics have been relegated to the garage! I couldn't do that.

I love the garden idea, fantastic. Good luck with it.

Knot Garden said...

I think the railings will look wonderful when you get them set up. It will be a great focal point in the garden. The quilts on the ladder look beautiful.

Carole said...

How wonderful that the princess will be spending some time with you! Nice junk store! Don't know that we have one of those in my neck of the wood. I can hardly wait to see what you do with that area of your home. As for movies, I'm not a movie goer nor a tv watcher for that matter. I have seen HP but at home. I've stopped buying after Goblet of fire. They are getting to scary for my taste. I like the books much better. Enjoy gardening!

Carole said...

ps: love what you did with the ladder. Lovely quilt display!

Darlene said...

A busy week end indeed! Lots of changes!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I don't understand why the princess can't hang her clothes in the garage! :) I love your quilt ladder. Ohhh soooo pretty!

Wendy said...

I only watched some of those movies to keep hubby happy, mostly I will stitch and look up once in a while. I love what you did with the ladder and looking at those cabinets I have the urge to go and clean out. The garden feature is going to look great, I can't wait to see it.

Laura said...

The cabinets look great. We have a line of cabinets in our garage but they store all my husbands stuff.
Love the ladder!

Hannies Annies said...

I think your cabinets look great! I have given up my sewing room multiple times, it is a laughing joke here...they move out..I set it back up..one moves back ...geez..anyway love your new findings for the yard!!

Susie said...

Your storage cabinets are such a good idea. I know you are so excited to have your daughter back home with you!
I've made a note of that movie and will look for it.
Thanks for the recommendation.
xo

Lea said...

*LOL*, Libby! I guess, I'm not the boxoffice girl...well sort of.I only see Harry Potter. :-D
Those listed movies are my hubby & son's favorite though.*LOL*

Your cabinet is so clean and organized.:-) I'm scared to look my cabinets.... but I have to, very soon...*LOL*

Chocolate Cat said...

Can't wait to see your 'new' garden all finished!

Karen said...

Love your raw materials for the planter. That must be a good junk store. Your finished quilts look SO good on the ladder.

yellowfarmhouse said...

Ha with boys in the house I've been sucked into a couple of those movies you listed, but not by choice. Give me a nice funny comedy anytime. That trellis idea is a cool one - it will look great when your done. Can't wait to see the finished product. Now that sewing area is as neat as a pin and so organized - wish mine looked like that. LOVE the quilt ladder. You've been a busy girl with all the rearranging going on in preps for the arrival of the princess.

Hugs - Karen

True Debreuil said...

I wish my fabric was half as organized as yours now is. I want a quilt rail too. I keep combing the thrift shops but no luck yet. Maybe I'll have to break down and buy a new one.

KCQuilter said...

Wow, am I ever admiring those cabinets!!! Did your hubby construct them? Or maybe they are IKEA? I could sure use some!